Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Gen Continental grip

Hello Friends and Tennis Minds,

Here is an example of what I call the Next Gen Continental grip.

It's a semi-western to western forehand and you can turn the racquet over to hit with the same side of the strings on the one-handed or two-handed backhand.

Here is an example from my own practice.

I have been using this style for the last few years, and I am really enjoying having no grip shift.

Here is Jack Sock demonstrating the same universal grip structure:

I believe this œnew continental is becoming more popular on tour and will continue to grow in popularity for the same reason the traditional continental was so popular for many years: simplicity and efficiency.

No grip change is an advantage in the modern high speed game, especially off the return of serve.

Here's another more radical thought. Could this Next Gen Continental become the go-to universal grip for volleys and net play in the future? Could it be the next evolution in the volley technique, which has basically remained the same for a century or more?

It would offer the potential next evolution in net game technique and tactics and would allow both topspin and regular volleys to be mixed together in new patterns.

This net game style is currently used in Japanese Soft Tennis, so it's not unprecedented.

Share your thoughts!

Wow! So that's why the beginning of your students' one-handers looks so weird. Will try it. I've written more on this subject, Chris, over at "A New Year's Serve" if you'd care to take a look, but you certainly don't have to. Others in this forum don't have to, either, in fact I wish they wouldn't. Although I am grateful for the 63,176 hits.
    Last edited by bottle; 03-08-2019, 01:23 PM.

Comment

No grip change for service return and medium to high bounce groundstrokes——- a perfect grip. Low skid balls on grass, however, requires a long grip change. That grip requires good timing and a perfect set up position, but may be the grip of the future. If one becomes successful using backhand stroke volleys with that grip——-watch out!

Comment

Kohlschreiber uses this grip structure I think.

Comment

Despite thousands of coaches preaching that full western is a taboo, the grip can be seen increasingly here and there across the tour and seems to be on the rise. It seems plenty of players have been ignoring the advice.

Some players seem to have no trouble hitting through the ball while others end up skimming it. Perhaps many people are capable of hitting with full western than we thought.

Yes, I think it is very workable the way the modern game has gone. If the game gets much faster, then why not? It could happen.
          Stotty

Comment

Watch pro level badminton, table tennis and squash to see future tennis possibilities. I keep waiting for someone with a Michael Jordan leaping ability to make ball contact with their serve somewhere around the service line by using a badminton fast twitch smash( maybe choke up the racket) from the tennis serve hesitation point. A highly developed Novak slide on both wings using a squash shot would greatly add to width coverage( if one can control depth and keep ball from rising). I don’t know if underhand serves from table tennis can ever play a significant role in serving at the pro level, but certainly could at the amateur level and perhaps bring back a vertical game instead of just horizontal. I mentioned some of these cross sport possibilities to college coaches in the 70’s and was branded a “kook”. But I suppose I was awed by the Laver, Nastase, McEnroe racket masters of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
              Watch pro level badminton, table tennis and squash to see future tennis possibilities. I keep waiting for someone with a Michael Jordan leaping ability to make ball contact with their serve somewhere around the service line by using a badminton fast twitch smash( maybe choke up the racket) from the tennis serve hesitation point. A highly developed Novak slide on both wings using a squash shot would greatly add to width coverage( if one can control depth and keep ball from rising). I don’t know if underhand serves from table tennis can ever play a significant role in serving at the pro level, but certainly could at the amateur level and perhaps bring back a vertical game instead of just horizontal. I mentioned some of these cross sport possibilities to college coaches in the 70’s and was branded a “kook”. But I suppose I was awed by the Laver, Nastase, McEnroe racket masters of the day.
              I think Nick when he is engaged and focused like he was vs Nadal and Alex is a bit of a glimpse into what is possible. I have always thought Roger was the best level of tennis I have ever seen but Nick is something.

Comment

I remember that piece by Geoff. Definitely back to the future.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                  Philipp Kohlschreiber, who uses the unigrip, is into Wimbledon qf's.

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                  Geoff,

I really liked your article. I also play with a unigrip when hitting topspin fh's and one handed bh's, but more often on my bh's, I end up hitting a continental grip slice bh because I do not get prepared in time to hit topspin. I am going to try keeping my non dominant hand close on the handle prep as you suggest, I am only a very average 4.0 player but I love tennis and reading instructional pieces on it.
                  I like reading old threads. Here were two comments you made...stroke. You mention Philipp Kohlschreiber and as I watched the highlights of his match against Nick yesterday I was trying to detect if he was changing the face of the racquet. It was pretty tough but it looked to me as if he was changing it between his forehand and his backhand.

GeoffWilliams was so into his own article. It was great fun to see him write with such enthusiasm in response to all of the comments.
                  don_budge
                  Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Yes, Geoff's real world enthusiasm was enduring. Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by chrislewit View Post
                      Hello Friends and Tennis Minds,

Here is an example of what I call the Next Gen Continental grip.

It's a semi-western to western forehand and you can turn the racquet over to hit with the same side of the strings on the one-handed or two-handed backhand.

Here is an example from my own practice.

I have been using this style for the last few years, and I am really enjoying having no grip shift.

Here is Jack Sock demonstrating the same universal grip structure:

I believe this œnew continental is becoming more popular on tour and will continue to grow in popularity for the same reason the traditional continental was so popular for many years: simplicity and efficiency.

No grip change is an advantage in the modern high speed game, especially off the return of serve.

Here's another more radical thought. Could this Next Gen Continental become the go-to universal grip for volleys and net play in the future? Could it be the next evolution in the volley technique, which has basically remained the same for a century or more?

It would offer the potential next evolution in net game technique and tactics and would allow both topspin and regular volleys to be mixed together in new patterns.

This net game style is currently used in Japanese Soft Tennis, so it's not unprecedented.

Share your thoughts!
                      Is the grip shift such a problem?

The whole time I read this post I kept thinking about John's modern game articles. My "old" school view is that there is something to the grip change that becomes fairly automatic after a while.

My daughter was just hitting returns the other day and she seemed to kind of switch her grip to more of an Eastern on the FH return than her normal semi. She has no trouble hitting slice with one grip. Topspin with other grips. In fact, she starts with a continental and rotates her hand half way for all her returns. The shoulder turn is linked to her grip shift.

My sense is that some players do this without thinking and can handle it just fine. Others may prefer one grip. Sampras hit with an eastern FH and hit topspin/flat half volleys with a slightly different grip.

What happens when someone decides to slice all day against this new western continental grip.

Will it hold up?

I am very skeptical.

Comment

I've experimented with this years ago, but to me it seemed like it sacrificed a little something on both wings...
                        on the flipside, it could be that i wasn't talented enough (or had enough reps) to pull it off... not to mention, my 1hbh grip would constantly/naturally gravitate to the non-spread finger grip anyway (which i felt aligned my skeletal structure behind the shot better)..

is this grip the same/similar to the Brugera/Berestegui fh grips? (lol, based on grainy yt vids from the 90's seems the Berestegui's grip is more extreme than Brugeras)
                        Last edited by nytennisaddict; 03-26-2019, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nytennisaddict View Post
                          I've experimented with this years ago, but to me it seemed like it sacrificed a little something on both wings...
                          on the flipside, it could be that i wasn't talented enough (or had enough reps) to pull it off... not to mention, my 1hbh grip would constantly/naturally gravitate to the non-spread finger grip anyway (which i felt aligned my skeletal structure behind the shot better)..

is this grip the same/similar to the Brugera/Berestegui fh grips? (lol, based on grainy yt vids from the 90's seems the Berestegui's grip is more extreme than Brugeras)
                          Bruguera has a less extreme forehand grip. Similar to Rafa’s

The grip I’m advocating is more the Bruguera grip rather than Berasategui, but I’m not against his style either

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

Is the grip shift such a problem?

The whole time I read this post I kept thinking about John's modern game articles. My "old" school view is that there is something to the grip change that becomes fairly automatic after a while.

My daughter was just hitting returns the other day and she seemed to kind of switch her grip to more of an Eastern on the FH return than her normal semi. She has no trouble hitting slice with one grip. Topspin with other grips. In fact, she starts with a continental and rotates her hand half way for all her returns. The shoulder turn is linked to her grip shift.

My sense is that some players do this without thinking and can handle it just fine. Others may prefer one grip. Sampras hit with an eastern FH and hit topspin/flat half volleys with a slightly different grip.

What happens when someone decides to slice all day against this new western continental grip.

Will it hold up?

I am very skeptical.
                            Thanks for this
                            Even top pros have trouble shifting grips when balls are coming at the velocities common on the pro tour now.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8537 users online. 8 members and 8529 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X