Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Miami Open...ATP 1000...Miami, Florida USA

Originally posted by klacr View Post
    The time to rejoice is brief as the Miami Open begins this week. The weather is supposed to be horrendous.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    Official ATP tennis draws for singles, doubles and qualifying from men's professional tennis tournaments on the ATP Tour.

No rest for the wicked. It looks to be about a foot of rain today. Some more tomorrow. But after that it seems to be fairly warm and sunny. Warm being a relative term...as in the difference between Sweden and Miami.

It will be interesting to watch a couple of these players in particular Dominic Thiem, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic. Thiem has been fighting that deer in the headlights look for a couple of years now. It is amazing that he maintained his high ranking as it is Alexander Zverev. Zverev the #2 seed here in Miami. That doesn't bode well. Too many expectations of a fragile mind set. An egg shell mind. Unless Ivan Lendl can prevail with a transplant of his mindset. This guy turned out to be as tough as nails after his career started out with some suspicions about his toughness.

Federer doesn't have any expectations. He doesn't really care at this point. That is not to say that he doesn't show to give it his best. But he can accept the outcome either way. It's all icing on the cake. It is a privileged position to be in. Not having to care. The rest of the field just fights and grinds to no end. Look at Jo-Wilfred Tsonga in the qualifiers. The rest of the up and comers. Dog eat dog. Another possible match up with his Swiss compatriot Stanislas Wawrinka in the third round again. A decent draw at any rate for the Swiss Maestro if he can negotiate all of the obstacles.

Nick Kyrgios the #27 seed here. Too much night life for Nick to stand a chance...or? Can he get his head into this tournament? A couple of years ago he played Federer a completely lights out tennis match that went to three tie-breakers. Federer prevailed in three. Perhaps the best two out of three match the entire year. No Rafael Nadal. What a surprise. He high tailed it back home to get ready for the clay court season. The hard courts to tough on the knees? But wait a minute...there were those telling me that the clay court is tough on the body too. We were discussing Federer passing on the clay court season the past couple of years.

At any rate it is what it is. Gentlemen...start your engines. Let the games begin!
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Its tough out there. I watched Stan's match and loss to Krajinovic. Stan really played well and looked great out there and just could not get through at the end. Alex and Thiem out also. Was not surprised at all with Thiem. He is a long way from the bringing it back to back in big tournaments as only Fed, Novak, and Nadal seem capable of doing(and doing it for a long time). Alex has lost his way a bit. I still think he has the game to get to the top of the rankings, but he needs to quit talking about it for now and just play. I am surprised that so far Ivan has not seemed to have made much of an impact with Alex's finding his way. Nick seems interested this week and is probably the best bet to win this tournament other that the obvious, Novak and Fed.

Comment

Had two players in qualies. One made it through to main draw, the other lost in 2nd round. Have been there for good chunk of the week.
      The facilities are greatly upgraded and the courts are playing slower.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Basilashvili really looking good out there

Comment

Kyrios was entertaining, but at times outrageous against Lajovic: tweeners, underhand serve, looking one way then hitting the other way. The guy is nuts...

Comment

Miami Open is a spectacle. Awesome facilities with only a few hiccups. Miami making a push to compete with Indian Wells. Not saying it will happen or catch up, but they are committed to trying.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
              Kyrios was entertaining, but at times outrageous against Lajovic: tweeners, underhand serve, looking one way then hitting the other way. The guy is nuts...
              I think there is an argument to be made that Nick when he is totally engaged in a match now produces the highest level of tennis of all players on a hard court, maybe even higher than Novak.

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                Miami Open is a spectacle. Awesome facilities with only a few hiccups. Miami making a push to compete with Indian Wells. Not saying it will happen or catch up, but they are committed to trying.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                That is very good news. I have been to that tournament several times going all the way back to when it was The Lipton. That was kind of the best time for that tournament. I am glad Miami was able to keep it. Those Masters are hard to come by.

Comment

The Mueller Report...No Collusion, No Obstruction of Justice

After two years of subjecting the President of the United States of America to microscopic scrutiny. Nothing. A good day for America.

Speaking of the Miami Open...I have been watching a fair amount of action on a limited match by match basis. Just to get a finger on the pulse of the tournament. But I have to admit the most compelling performance that I have seen so far has been by a lady of unknown nationality...Su-Wei Hsieh versus Naomi Osaka.

Su-Wei was just being herself and managed to take out the number one tennis player in the world. Interesting match...Naomi played so poorly. It wasn't just a matter of her playing badly though it was this lady putting her noodle to work and completely outsmarting her opponent. When outgunned don't try to bully through...use your head. Use her head she did with an assortment of two handed strokes on both sides and exceptional placement and subtle changes of speed and depth. I understand that Naomi asked for a psychiatrist on the court in lieu of a trainer but was denied.

I didn't see Dominic Thiem as he exited in a hurry. He couldn't put it together two weeks in a row after his victory. It's amazing how Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Nadal put out the consistently high product week in, week out. Federer is past his prime but still manages with his mental ability...Novak still seems to have some prime time left and Nadal is starting to slip a bit. But tremendous consistency all the same. Thiem has been struggling for a couple of years to put together some of the expectations that he earned with some early results in his career. But as far as becoming a star week in week out the jury is still out. Alexander Zverev? Just forget about him...for now. I'm not saying never but it will be later rather than sooner if ever.

I did watch Denis Shapovalov take out Daniel Evans in three sets. I really don't care about any problems Evans has had in the past I like this young man. The haircut...the white clothes. The rather old school take on the game of tennis here in 2019...the future. The tour needs about thirty or forty more players just like him. Then I saw the end of the Filip Krajinovic match which Stan Wawrinka for sure thought he had clinched. He was up a break in the tie-break but Krajinovic never gave me the impression that he thought he was going to lose. So it will be Krajinovic and Federer instead of a double dip of Swiss one-handed backhands. Stefanos Tsitsipas taking down a pesky young American in the second round and looking at another one-handed backhand player in Leonardo Mayer. A nice test for Tsitsipas.

The tournament is shaping up supremely well and I don't see it being a problem to rival the Indian Wells tournament in the near future...who knows maybe this week. The draw is shaping up just super. There won't be a Skunk Nadal withdrawal in the semis like the Indian Wells semi. That was a huge black eye for the tournament. Everyone wanted to see that match so badly but Nadal didn't have the stomach for it. Federer has handed him his ass five straight times and he was gunning to make it a six-pack.

The fourth round of this tournament easily matches up with that of Indian Wells and we haven't seen the last of Nick "Curious George" Kyrgios yet either. Milos Raonic showed a little bit of intestinal fortitude and took his lump against Kyle Edmund. Milos was really struggling with what looked like a back injury but he gutted it out and finished with the handshake at the net. This I like to see. He gave it a shot...it wasn't his best due to the injury but he gave the audience what they deserved. Not to mention his opponent. Milos scored a point with me for the effort. Too many times these guys just say "No Mas" and hightail it into the locker room without a thought about the ticket buying public.

Today/tonight I am pulling for anyone that plays with a one-handed backhand. Or plays with two hands on both sides. Do you know how the female track and field athletes are wearing nearly a thong when they are competing? Well the little Su-Wei had just a smidgeon of that going on with here tennis shorts. Just about an inch worth. Really cute. I hope that doesn't trigger somebodies sensibilities here on the forum. It was just an observation..one that I could not help noticing.

don_budge
                  Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

I think there is an argument to be made that Nick when he is totally engaged in a match now produces the highest level of tennis of all players on a hard court, maybe even higher than Novak.
                    100% agree! when he's out there having a good time, entertaining the crowd, he's really focused and engaged. who cares if he's hitting tweeners and UH serves to win. Folks may say it's a low % play, etc... but for him, doesn't seem to be... but even if it is, if it keeps him engaged, i say he should keep doing it!

seeing NK play reminds me of the old lesson, to play/develop a style of tennis that suits your personality... NK definitely took that lesson to heart!

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                      The Mueller Report...No Collusion, No Obstruction of Justice

After two years of subjecting the President of the United States of America to microscopic scrutiny. Nothing. A good day for America.

Speaking of the Miami Open...I have been watching a fair amount of action on a limited match by match basis. Just to get a finger on the pulse of the tournament. But I have to admit the most compelling performance that I have seen so far has been by a lady of unknown nationality...Su-Wei Hsieh versus Naomi Osaka.

https://www.wtatennis.com/news/i-jus...raveling-coach

Su-Wei was just being herself and managed to take out the number one tennis player in the world. Interesting match...Naomi played so poorly. It wasn't just a matter of her playing badly though it was this lady putting her noodle to work and completely outsmarting her opponent. When outgunned don't try to bully through...use your head. Use her head she did with an assortment of two handed strokes on both sides and exceptional placement and subtle changes of speed and depth. I understand that Naomi asked for a psychiatrist on the court in lieu of a trainer but was denied.

I didn't see Dominic Thiem as he exited in a hurry. He couldn't put it together two weeks in a row after his victory. It's amazing how Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Nadal put out the consistently high product week in, week out. Federer is past his prime but still manages with his mental ability...Novak still seems to have some prime time left and Nadal is starting to slip a bit. But tremendous consistency all the same. Thiem has been struggling for a couple of years to put together some of the expectations that he earned with some early results in his career. But as far as becoming a star week in week out the jury is still out. Alexander Zverev? Just forget about him...for now. I'm not saying never but it will be later rather than sooner if ever.

I did watch Denis Shapovalov take out Daniel Evans in three sets. I really don't care about any problems Evans has had in the past I like this young man. The haircut...the white clothes. The rather old school take on the game of tennis here in 2019...the future. The tour needs about thirty or forty more players just like him. Then I saw the end of the Filip Krajinovic match which Stan Wawrinka for sure thought he had clinched. He was up a break in the tie-break but Krajinovic never gave me the impression that he thought he was going to lose. So it will be Krajinovic and Federer instead of a double dip of Swiss one-handed backhands. Stefanos Tsitsipas taking down a pesky young American in the second round and looking at another one-handed backhand player in Leonardo Mayer. A nice test for Tsitsipas.

The tournament is shaping up supremely well and I don't see it being a problem to rival the Indian Wells tournament in the near future...who knows maybe this week. The draw is shaping up just super. There won't be a Skunk Nadal withdrawal in the semis like the Indian Wells semi. That was a huge black eye for the tournament. Everyone wanted to see that match so badly but Nadal didn't have the stomach for it. Federer has handed him his ass five straight times and he was gunning to make it a six-pack.

The fourth round of this tournament easily matches up with that of Indian Wells and we haven't seen the last of Nick "Curious George" Kyrgios yet either. Milos Raonic showed a little bit of intestinal fortitude and took his lump against Kyle Edmund. Milos was really struggling with what looked like a back injury but he gutted it out and finished with the handshake at the net. This I like to see. He gave it a shot...it wasn't his best due to the injury but he gave the audience what they deserved. Not to mention his opponent. Milos scored a point with me for the effort. Too many times these guys just say "No Mas" and hightail it into the locker room without a thought about the ticket buying public.

Today/tonight I am pulling for anyone that plays with a one-handed backhand. Or plays with two hands on both sides. Do you know how the female track and field athletes are wearing nearly a thong when they are competing? Well the little Su-Wei had just a smidgeon of that going on with here tennis shorts. Just about an inch worth. Really cute. I hope that doesn't trigger somebodies sensibilities here on the forum. It was just an observation..one that I could not help noticing.

love watching hseih play... as a little guy myself, i like watching her play and beat the "big guns" with seemingly "no weapons" to speak of. would love to see her win a GS.

kinda reminds me of the strategies used in the movie "the patriot"... small band of rebels, outgunned/out manned... their strat, move quick, have many minor victories on small targets, before the brits could setup their heavy artillary... refuse to battle with them on the "open ground" (baseline bashing!), and instead fight in the smaller skirmishes (short angle, forecourt shots, etc...) until they overextend themselves (overhit!)

i think her 2hfh 2hbh approach makes it easier to take shorter abbreviated strokes that are an advantage when her strat is to redirect, vs. outhit.
                      Last edited by nytennisaddict; 03-26-2019, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nytennisaddict View Post

100% agree! when he's out there having a good time, entertaining the crowd, he's really focused and engaged. who cares if he's hitting tweeners and UH serves to win. Folks may say it's a low % play, etc... but for him, doesn't seem to be... but even if it is, if it keeps him engaged, i say he should keep doing it!

seeing NK play reminds me of the old lesson, to play/develop a style of tennis that suits your personality... NK definitely took that lesson to heart!
                        He is talented and when concentrated his matches are enjoyable, much more so than just mindless baseline bashing players.

Comment

I would think all the bashers would love to have the options Fed and Nick have, but hardly any do. A perfect example of this to me is Stan, who has beautiful technique and can certainly bash, but he certainly does not have the options of Fed and Nick. Those 2 can bash if they wish or do about anything else. Doing what Nick can do out there and having that serve also does not even seem fair.

Some great matches today. Fed has his hands full with Medvedev. Novak is going to have to work hard to get past RBA. Coric does not look good shot for shot vs Nick, but who knows with Nick. Goffin vs Tiafoe looks very interesting. And Shapovalov vs Tsitsipas looks as watchable a match as any.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                            I would think all the bashers would love to have the options Fed and Nick have, but hardly any do. A perfect example of this to me is Stan, who has beautiful technique and can certainly bash, but he certainly does not have the options of Fed and Nick. Those 2 can bash if they wish or do about anything else. Doing what Nick can do out there and having that serve also does not even seem fair.

Some great matches today. Fed has his hands full with Medvedev. Novak is going to have to work hard to get past RBA. Coric does not look good shot for shot vs Nick, but who knows with Nick. Goffin vs Tiafoe looks very interesting. And Shapovalov vs Tsitsipas looks as watchable a match as any.
                            agreed. 2 things i'm taking from NK (and hseih!) in my own development
                            1. serve
                            2. touch
                            timely (for me) are the open the court patterns: 13 & 14

RBA makes everyone work but ND should get through that comfortably.
                            looking forward to the "young vets" coric/nk... but like you said, NK you never know what you'll get... (ie. is Coric a big enough name for NK to get out of bed?)
                            goffin v tiafoe... the runner vs the basher (david v goliath?)
                            shap v tsit... feels like a preview of what future GS slams will look like :P

Comment

What about Canada as the up and coming powerhouse? We have Robapolov with his repeatable speed. Makes tennis look like ping pong. Then FAA who is like a glider moving around the court. I mean so smooth and an all court game. Great volleys and touch.

Tiafoe keeps moving up too! I am not as high on him as I am on Roboman and FAA. But he seems to be developing into a very solid player.

The next gen might be here already. Maybe we are back to the way things were when the 20 year olds took over earlier and not later as happened with what is now the middle gen.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7849 users online. 8 members and 7841 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X