A New Teaching System: Two Handed Backhand Backswings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Teaching System: Two Handed Backhand Backswings

Would love to discuss my latest article, "A New Teaching System: Two Handed Backhand Backswings"

Interesting article.... i've been experimenting with my own 2hbh lately. I recently switched from a "C" style backswing, to a "U" style backswing.

in my naive opinion, experimenting with both, i've found the the "C" has slightly more power potential (slightly bigger runway to generate rhs), but to me it can i times feel disjoint/out of rhythm, thus disrupting my overall sync/timing with my hip turn (kinda reminds me of the article describing how on the serve, the leg push, if out of sync with the racquet drop can hurt the serve vs. help it). i also feel like the "C" forces me to have more of wrist drop (probably because i was oout of sync dropping my arms/hands below the contact, so i make up for with the wrist drop). i also hit with a bent left arm with the "C"... not sure why i can't hit a "C" with straight arms... maybe i'm subconsciously shrinking the loop, or maybe that's the way the "C" swing brings the hands close to the hips to ultimately swing inside to outside.

on the flip side, the "U" seems to more naturally "follow my hip turn", since the arms tend to be straight, and the path to contact is just tracing the backswing it just took (and generally feels like there are less moving parts).

while, to me, the "C" seems slightly more powerful (like a lefty fh, or a baseball batter's swing), i find the "U" easier to stay in sync with the rest of my body, so overall, my shot is more consistent/reliable (arguably more powerful on avg due to being in sync more).

in general, i do try to keep my loop smaller (keeping racquet on hitting side, minimal wrist break, take back with racquet at 0-30 degrees vs. pointing up, etc...), which reduces total distance to contact once i initiate the swing, but likely reduces rhs potential, but given the # of reps and lack of talent on my part, i'm ok with that trade off :P
    Last edited by nytennisaddict; 04-02-2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I like Novak's and Murray's backhands best. I find them super efficient and reliable. I am less keen on the hands high versions, although I concede Zverev's is terrific. When I try the hands high version myself (I am a one hander by trade) I have real trouble timing the swing to the ball. I saw Zverev at Wimbledon. He can hit that backhand incredibly hard.
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
        I like Novak's and Murray's backhands best. I find them super efficient and reliable. I am less keen on the hands high versions, although I concede Zverev's is terrific. When I try the hands high version myself (I am a one hander by trade) I have real trouble timing the swing to the ball. I saw Zverev at Wimbledon. He can hit that backhand incredibly hard.
        having made the switch from a zverev style 2hbh to a djoker style 2hbh, i've concluded that while the zverev style has more power potential, i think alot more can go wrong, and more importantly i don't think i have the time to invest the required reps need to develop a consistent zverev style 2hbh (nor do i have that much talent :P).

at the 4.5 level, i'm better off being consistent, moving things around on the 2hbh, then wait for the fh to attack.
        Last edited by nytennisaddict; 04-10-2019, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Would be interesting to see Nadal’s adjustments when he hits that wicked flat cross court backhand. Perhaps he doesn’t take it behind the torso as much since doing this, at least for me, generates more automatic topspin.

Comment

Originally posted by nytennisaddict View Post
            i've concluded that while the zverev style has more power potential..
            I ask the student...What is Power?

don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

privas,
              Actually his backswing is the same!

Last edited by johnyandell; 04-12-2019, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8118 users online. 7 members and 8111 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X