tennis serve core tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tennis serve core tension

I know with the serve there is no tension in hand and arm. In order to carry the the arm to contact should tension be carried in the abs and core? I have heard a theory where you should not try to swing but build up tension in the core and use these muscles to pull the racquet. There is an inverse move which happens where the racquet is pulled into the racquet drop by the unwinding forward of the body. Kind of like the feeling of moving in two different directions at the same time which is a move used in other sports.

Not sure if you can feel these things happening. But one distinction along these lines is the pull versus the push serve. Push happens from the leg drive and is considered preferable to the pull in which the torso bends more forward at the waist.

Comment

I read Dr Kilbers article about the push vs the pull it seems the examples are of servers using their shoulders to pull the racquet. If the core is used though the shoulders stay turned and passive the body stays upright. There seems to me that the inverse movement where the legs push up while the racquet completes it's drop helps keep a player from actually swinging. If you try to swing at the ball all the energy generated is used prematurely there is nothing left when you get to the hitting zone.

Comment

I would agree. The racket should enter to drop or be close at the time of maximum knee bend.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8138 users online. 5 members and 8133 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X