Monte Carlo Masters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

"The Fabulous One" was bending it...except when he was cloth lining it. Extraordinary display to put "The Skunk" in a position where he is battling to avoid a bagel. But Nadal is a great competitor...in some ways. In other ways he is a gamesmanship player. But this is a good lesson in a losing cause for any aspiring tennis player. He fought tooth and nail to avoid that bagel in the second set. Then he fought tooth and nail to get it to 2-5. But "Fabulous Fabio" sealed the deal with one of his trademark shots of the day...he just cloth lined a forehand from a tough position that left Nadal there gaping at the sheer audacity of the shot.

The odds on that match were something that even I might bet on. Fognini is a better than 11-1 shot against taking down Nadal. He doesn't appear to be afraid of him and he steps up like a man (like Djokovic) taking that lefty forehand topspin on the rise and changing its direction. The serve isn't great but the motion is quite nice. But does he back it up with the return of the return of serve.

Maintaining pressure on the opponent. Match play psychology 101 Bill Tilden style. He got his legs under him after falling behind in the first set and never looked back. "Hitting out" on everything. Easier to do when you are not expected to win. It will be interesting if the Italian attitude can sustain itself through the finals. Hopefully he wasn't celebrating with a bunch of wine and women last night. Actually he's married to a beautiful Italian tennis player. Uh-oh...
    11-1 is interesting odds. I would have certainly agreed with you pre match that those odds are too strong, too heavily weighted for Nadal, but that is how it is going to be betting on Nadal on clay and Federer(except on clay). One will be paying a premium. There is not much comfort in knowing that though if one puts money against Nadal and Fed and they come through with a win.
    Last edited by stroke; 04-21-2019, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Fabio wins in two. He dedicated the win to his mother who will have her birthday tomorrow. Talented player, fun to watch. Very Italian, temperamental, theatrical, charming.very Italian.hits forehand very hard, with little backswing, great down the line backhand.
      Last edited by gzhpcu; 04-21-2019, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Fognini was another level in Monte Carlo. Amazing to see him thrash Nadal like he did. Fognini is a player that I think most of us would like to see do better. I can do without the attitude at times but it comes with the package.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
          Fognini was another level in Monte Carlo. Amazing to see him thrash Nadal like he did. Fognini is a player that I think most of us would like to see do better. I can do without the attitude at times but it comes with the package.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Yes great to see him finally fulfil some of his potential. And anything to stop Rafa racking up these ridiculous clay court numbers. I mean, 12 Monte Carlo's would have been just too much. It's outrageous when you think about it.
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Yes great to see him finally fulfil some of his potential. And anything to stop Rafa racking up these ridiculous clay court numbers. I mean, 12 Monte Carlo's would have been just too much. It's outrageous when you think about it.
            Ha, but not as ridiculous as 11, 12, or 13 FO Titles

Comment

Nadal is certainly a phenomenon on clay. He's not to shabby on the other surfaces either. Fognini just had no fear factor going into matches with Nadal. That "I don't give a f**k" attitude helps him not get overwhelmed or try to do too much. Fogging has beaten Rafa 3 previous times before Monte Carlo.Twice on clay and once at the US Open down two sets to 0.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Hard to believe watching how good he is on clay that he has now 1 career Masters 1000 title on clay and no Majors. And Nadal achievements are outrageous, beyond belief.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                  Hard to believe watching how good he is on clay that he has now 1 career Masters 1000 title on clay and no Majors. And Nadal achievements are outrageous, beyond belief.
                  Fognini could have been so much more successful. Him and Verdasco should have won a couple of slams each by now regardless of the Big 4 being so dominant. You just have to question whether they want it enough.
                  Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Fognini could have been so much more successful. Him and Verdasco should have won a couple of slams each by now regardless of the Big 4 being so dominant. You just have to question whether they want it enough.
                    As much as Iike Verdasco, particularly his forehand, one of the top 3 or 4 in tennis, Fabio is even more of an underachiever to me. Fabio forehand is the equal of Fernando's to me, his backhand, movement, and touch are better, and he has that effortless smoothness thing going on like Fed.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

As much as Iike Verdasco, particularly his forehand, one of the top 3 or 4 in tennis, Fabio is even more of an underachiever to me. Fabio forehand is the equal of Fernando's to me, his backhand, movement, and touch are better, and he has that effortless smoothness thing going on like Fed.
                      For me it's the serve that let's him down a little. His first serve doesn't usually hurt and his second serve just starts the rally. His first serve stops going in when it comes to the clutch and his second serve just isn't strong enough. I doubt he could ever beat Roger because Roger can just bide his time waiting for those second serves to drop a little short. He is awfully talented, though.
                      Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8123 users online. 8 members and 8115 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X