Ultimate Drill Games: Service Boxes 6 Target Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Drill Games: Service Boxes 6 Target Game

Let's get your thoughts on Jorge Capestany's article, Ultimate Drill Games: Service Boxes 6 Target Game

Jorge has so many great games and drills. Glad he could share this exciting one with us. Serves are not practiced enough and this is a great game to play with a partner or have you students battle it out.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

fun drill... i've been doing something similar for years.

recently, since i've been dedicating alot of time to practicing serves (~1000 serves per week), i have to play games with myself, to keep myself interested... eg.
      * play out a set, but to score a point, i have to get both 1st and 2nd serve in, to the correct third of the box, if i miss the first, i get a redo, if i miss the 2nd, i lose the point no matter what.... choose different targets combos each time: wide/wide, wide/T, T/T, T/body, etc...
      * deuce: serve 1st and 2nd, run to other side of net, serve ad: 1st and 2nd, etc... i find that forcing myself to go to the other side, forces me to "find my rhythm" again... ie. serving 10 first serves in a row is not the same as serving for game/set/match point after a previously long point.

in general i love jorge's drills on yt.

Comment

I've been using this drill for years and it's always interesting to see how a player does the first time. I've seen many a high level player take up to 25 serves to get all six the first time, then by the say the third time they're down to somewhere between 6 and 10. I've also found the toughest area for players to hit is the middle of the box as they're so used to going wide and "T." Great drill for establishing serve confidence!

Comment

hehe, did this today... after a few rounds trying... my lowest scores
          flat: 10... surprised i was able to even get as low as 10
          topslice: 6... surprised i was able to get this 6 in a row... granted it was the "3rd" try
          kick: 8... surprised how hard it was to consistently go deuce:wide, ad:T (because I'm usually going to a righty bh)

Comment

Originally posted by nytennisaddict View Post
            hehe, did this today... after a few rounds trying... my lowest scores
            flat: 10... surprised i was able to even get as low as 10
            topslice: 6... surprised i was able to get this 6 in a row... granted it was the "3rd" try
            kick: 8... surprised how hard it was to consistently go deuce:wide, ad:T (because I'm usually going to a righty bh)
            Glad you could give it a try... its a great drill for our players

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
              Jorge has so many great games and drills. Glad he could share this exciting one with us. Serves are not practiced enough and this is a great game to play with a partner or have you students battle it out.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              Thanks Kyle... I love this head to head version of this drill.

Comment

Originally posted by nytennisaddict View Post
                fun drill... i've been doing something similar for years.

recently, since i've been dedicating alot of time to practicing serves (~1000 serves per week), i have to play games with myself, to keep myself interested... eg.
                * play out a set, but to score a point, i have to get both 1st and 2nd serve in, to the correct third of the box, if i miss the first, i get a redo, if i miss the 2nd, i lose the point no matter what.... choose different targets combos each time: wide/wide, wide/T, T/T, T/body, etc...
                * deuce: serve 1st and 2nd, run to other side of net, serve ad: 1st and 2nd, etc... i find that forcing myself to go to the other side, forces me to "find my rhythm" again... ie. serving 10 first serves in a row is not the same as serving for game/set/match point after a previously long point.

in general i love jorge's drills on yt.
                Thanks.. I hope you found the drill useful.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8106 users online. 5 members and 8101 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X