Good article on Zverev dislike of Tsitsipas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good article on Zverev dislike of Tsitsipas

If you want to know how good Stefanos Tsitsipas really is, says Michael Graham, then look no further than Alexander Zverev's obvious disdain for him.

Interesting! Tsitsipas came across as much more mature than Zverev in those interviews.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreycounts View Post
      Interesting! Tsitsipas came across as much more mature than Zverev in those interviews.
      yes, Zverev is quite a ways from figuring out why the crowd tends to naturally take to Tsitsipas over him

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreycounts View Post
        Originally posted by stroke View Post
        yes, Zverev is quite a ways from figuring out why the crowd tends to naturally take to Tsitsipas over him
        Interesting indeed. But it is only nothing about nothing. Nobody says these guys have to like each other and that's find by me. There is way too much lovey dovey on the men's tour nowadays. I would be much more comfortable with Federer and Nadal hating each other. As it is I don't think Federer likes Djokovic too much and there is a good reason why. Djokovic owns him. That is hard to like.

But it is only interesting from a personality perspective. Winning and losing personalities. Stefanos acts like he just doesn't care about the other guy. I liked it immensely when he had Roger on the ropes at the Australian and just pounded him into the next week. He was relentless and when he smelled victory he kicked it into another gear and tried to make him wish his mother hadn't had him. That is the way it is supposed to be. Remember the old Psychology Today analysis that I trot out from time to time. The game of tennis is symbolised by the players racquets being symbolically swords and the balls are the testicles...the players try to castrate each other. Ouch! That hurts!

Sure it does but there isn't much wiggle room to make nice in a battle like that. But that was yesteryear when players actually did try to slice and dice each other up. Systematically probing for the weakness in the other's game (psyche) and then going to work to surgically exploit it with their scalpel...without anaesthesia.

Zverev is way too sensitive these days. He is sensitive when he needs to be ruthless. Tsitsipas is a bit of a wise guy. He knows how to get the other guys goat and he does it like a cagey veteran. He makes comments in his interviews and he knows it will get back to the other players. I like his interview at the Aussie Open after he lost to Nadal. He essentially called Nadal out for being the skunk that he is. Most of the players are just too chicken nowadays. Where are the balls?
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

i don't understand why folks don't give cred where cred is due... ie. if i'm playing badly, my opponent has at least a bit to do with it... i wonder if this is a immaturity thing, or a "german stoicism" cultural thing.

it's boring, but why don't folks just stick with:
          * he played well, better than me today.
          * i'll prepare/practice, and look forward to playing him again next time.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
            The game of tennis is symbolised by the players racquets being symbolically swords and the balls are the testicles...the players try to castrate each other. Ouch! That hurts!
            I think Geoff Williams would agree with you. Did you read his article The Warrior Sport?

It's in the DNA of all people. It's kill, raid, destroy, eat, or be eaten.

Comment

Originally posted by nytennisaddict View Post

i don't understand why folks don't give cred where cred is due... ie. if i'm playing badly, my opponent has at least a bit to do with it... i wonder if this is a immaturity thing, or a "german stoicism" cultural thing.

it's boring, but why don't folks just stick with:
              * he played well, better than me today.
              * i'll prepare/practice, and look forward to playing him again next time.
              In the "old days", none of the Aussies (Laver, Rossewall, Newcombe, Roche) took lame excuses.

Comment

Zverev is quite a ways from figuring out why the crowd tends to naturally take to Tsitsipas over him
                We are all in the process of figuring it out. What's it all about Alfie? Fortunately we aren't on stage so that the whole world can watch our futile swings at arriving at the truth...the meaning of life. But be that as it may...Stefanos Tsitsipas and Alexander Zverev are in a budding relationship whether they like it or not. But here words are of no meaning...now they have to bat the ball around. They must probe, thrust and parry trying to find the soft spot of their opponent and then they have to tactically find a way to exploit it.

These aren't the only two that will be wrestling with the existential questions today...who will survive? It is much like Geoff Williams spelled it out some years ago. He likes to dramatise...but it is hard to argue with in the end. Psychology Today wrote of the symbolic battle between two tennis players years ago. Forty some years ago. It still holds water to this very day. There is nothing new under the sun. Solomon wrote that how long ago?

Watch closely between Dominic Thiem and Roger Federer. Federer has all the natural inclination to resent this "New Kid on the Block". But his classy approach to the game of tennis will over ride any impulse to do anything untoward. Dominic is a fine competitor as well.

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                In the "old days", none of the Aussies (Laver, Rossewall, Newcombe, Roche) took lame excuses.
                Ah yes...the old days. The new resent any sort of wistful or otherwise memories of what was. It's a "Brave New World" out there now. Everyone armed with a cell phone. A smart phone. But the Aussies of yesteryear set a standard of behaviour that can only be admired in retrospect. If only there was some remnant left of the classic game. Wait! There is! Roger Federer and Dominic Thiem! Stefanos Tsitsipas too! Playing the one-handed game the way that tennis was supposed to be played.

Look at the sportsmanship today...it will no doubt be impressive. But there is some gamesmanship going on too. Can you spot it?

don_budge

Comment

We are all in the process of figuring it out. What's it all about Alfie? Fortunately we aren't on stage so that the whole world can watch our futile swings at arriving at the truth...the meaning of life. But be that as it may...Stefanos Tsitsipas and Alexander Zverev are in a budding relationship whether they like it or not. But here words are of no meaning...now they have to bat the ball around. They must probe, thrust and parry trying to find the soft spot of their opponent and then they have to tactically find a way to exploit it.

These aren't the only two that will be wrestling with the existential questions today...who will survive? It is much like Geoff Williams spelled it out some years ago. He likes to dramatise...but it is hard to argue with in the end. Psychology Today wrote of the symbolic battle between two tennis players years ago. Forty some years ago. It still holds water to this very day. There is nothing new under the sun. Solomon wrote that how long ago?

Watch closely between Dominic Thiem and Roger Federer. Federer has all the natural inclination to resent this "New Kid on the Block". But his classy approach to the game of tennis will over ride any impulse to do anything untoward. Dominic is a fine competitor as well.

Ah yes...the old days. The new resent any sort of wistful or otherwise memories of what was. It's a "Brave New World" out there now. Everyone armed with a cell phone. A smart phone. But the Aussies of yesteryear set a standard of behaviour that can only be admired in retrospect. If only there was some remnant left of the classic game. Wait! There is! Roger Federer and Dominic Thiem! Stefanos Tsitsipas too! Playing the one-handed game the way that tennis was supposed to be played.

Look at the sportsmanship today...it will no doubt be impressive. But there is some gamesmanship going on too. Can you spot it?
                  to re

Fed is on house money, all call him the best of all time, the most watchable, the most loved. He has just about all the records to boot. He certainly has no inclination to resent anyone at this point(if he ever did) and certainly not Thiem. They dont come any classier or more likeable than Thiem. Now Tsitsipas and Zverev, we are in for a treat. They are the so close to the same age and the resume is just beginning. It is on for them and one has to like it. And very good point about we are all in the process of figuring it out. I like both of them, Alex and Stefanos, just as I like all of the big 3. Stefanos though, as Roger is(and Borg was) just more compelling. Novak does not like that about Roger I am sure, and Alex does not like it about Stephanos(and I don't blame him).

Comment

I think, in a way, in Novak's case, being much less popular than Rafa and Roger simply strengthened his resolve. He is so focused, polarised in his matches against them. Murray was also far less popular but never coped with it as well as Novak. Zverev's behaviour doesn't help his popularity much.

You can use unpopularity to stick two fingers up and knuckle down, or you can take things to heart. I think Novak does take it to heart but he sticks two fingers up far more. McEnroe was massively unpopular over here but simple stuck two fingers up and won Wimbledon anyway. Sticking to two fingers up is a great quality to have for a tennis player; one of the best qualities in fact. We can't all be popular and you just have to cope with it if you're not.
                    Stotty

Comment

It isn't a popularity contest in the end. Some personalities thrive on the conflict. Roger is just an amazing person. But he doesn't walk on water. I could see a bit of extra motivation to take Dominic Thiem, he almost willed it to happen and even the handshake was what it should be. He gave him a firm shake but I am certain that there is something in his body language that must have said to Thiem..."See you next time". To which Thiem would reflect..."So be it." Both are tennis players and "love" means nothing.

Keeping a close eye on how Tsitsipas deals with Señor Nadal today. He isn't necessarily in being Nadal's best boy friend. Tsitsipas used this sort of "angst" to good stead against Zverev. A controlled fury.
                      don_budge

Comment

Keeping a close eye on how Tsitsipas deals with Señor Nadal today. He isn't necessarily in being Nadal's best boy friend. Tsitsipas used this sort of "angst" to good stead against Zverev. A controlled fury.

He's under their skin. He's in their heads. I love it...apparently even the Spanish crowd did as well. That interview by the way is pure Tsitsipas. It gives us a glimpse into the brain if you will. He lost in Australia but what does he do. He goes to work. All of these progressives sitting around crying about this and that. It isn't fair...they wail. Well do something about it. Don't let the other guy outwork you.

Senor Nadal was unable to work the psyche last night. In his own country surrounded by adoring compatriots. Tsitsipas went right into Nadal's backyard and stole everything from him. Wouldn't surprise me if Nadal's girlfriend leaves him for a chance...a mere chance at a fling with the swordsman from Greece. stroke says he is a rock star. He's a couple better than that.

But I love this concept of Zverev not liking Tsitsipas. Of Nadal not liking Tsitsipas. Frankly my dear...Stefanos obviously doesn't give a damn. He backed up that interview. Very bold match. A defining moment. Two in a row as a matter of fact. Now it is Djokovic's turn. We'll see if Stefanos has truly learned something from his experience at the Australian Open when he won a huge against Federer but came out flat the next day. Now he has won two huge in a row and there was no sign of a let up in the second. It is Djokovic's turn. Thiem almost had him yesterday. Too bad he didn't. Two one handed backhands in the final would have been a don_budge delight. Oh what the heck...Stefanos is my boy. You take what you can get.

Don't like him? You must be an opponent. Just about every one is loving this breath of fresh air. Nadal can take his little antics and go and fume somewhere. I love it when he does that stupid forever preserve routine in the face of getting his ass handed to him. This is too good to be true!!!
                        don_budge

Comment

Here's another interview...

don_budge

Comment

I don't see how any fan could not like Stefanos. Ha on taking Rafa's gf. On a side note, I read somewhere that Stefanos does not have a gf, wants to concentrate on his job. That if true is most unusual also. I think we can all see his market value in the beautiful girl department as a rock star male model tennis player.

Comment

I don't see how any fan could not like Stefanos.
                              You know what this young man has that has been missing sorely from this game for a long time...save Roger Federer? Charisma. Starting to see a bit of it in Dominic Thiem as well.

don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2868 users online. 6 members and 2862 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X