No announcement yet.

Kyrgios goes off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stotty, the boulevard press likes Nicks antics. He will always get plenty of publicity.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
      Stotty, the boulevard press likes Nicks antics. He will always get plenty of publicity.
      Exactly, I know this only too well, which is why Nick will continue to act like a twit. I think he's trying to be cool but really he ends up being a twit.

Perhaps a nanny rather than a coach is what Nick needs most.
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
        The best way to deal with Nick is to give him no publicity whatsoever when he behaves badly. No press conferences, no media coverage...zero. Treat him as you would a spoilt child having a tantrum. Ignore him completely and have a conversation once he stopped throwing his toys around. Keep up such a policy and he may improve. It will never happen, only the opposite will, but that's the way to do it. He's essentially a child who wants attention. That's all there is to him.

On the other hand, Wawrinka, who is no fan of Nick'a, might just get mad enough to give him a right hook. That could work too. You wouldn't want to goad a strong man like Stan too much.
        i prefer the drama... good or bad. humanizes the players, gives insights into what folks are struggling with, thinking about... going to tourneys, i always wished that they would write a blurb about the players... not just their accomplishments, but their personal life, who their coach was, how'd they get started in tennis (thiem having 2 parent tennis coaches that eventually went to work for bresnik... similarly tiafoes back story is interesting... on the other extreme, you have a guy like gulbis) is intereting, where they trained, interesting stories (the Marco Trungelliti comes to mind), struggles, 1 line quote, etc...

people want stories, to be able to relate to the characters in the story... they don't just want facts (ranking, age, h2h, blah blah blah)

Comment

I like to hear about the background of players too...but not Nick. He's just a spoilt child. Nothing about him could interest me much. I do quite like watching him play, however.
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by nytennisaddict View Post
            i prefer the drama... good or bad. humanizes the players, gives insights into what folks are struggling with, thinking about... going to tourneys, i always wished that they would write a blurb about the players... not just their accomplishments, but their personal life, who their coach was, how'd they get started in tennis (thiem having 2 parent tennis coaches that eventually went to work for bresnik... similarly tiafoes back story is interesting... on the other extreme, you have a guy like gulbis) is intereting, where they trained, interesting stories (the Marco Trungelliti comes to mind), struggles, 1 line quote, etc...

people want stories, to be able to relate to the characters in the story... they don't just want facts (ranking, age, h2h, blah blah blah)
            The tennis court is a stage. Where else in life can one witness the two masks...one laughing and the other crying. I like that you see Nick Kyrgios as a human being...with all of the pitfalls. I am a bit curious about the male figures in Nick's life. I see the mother sometimes at the tournaments. He seems to have some really complicated issues with authority. It might arise from his relationship with his father or lack of compelling role models in his life. So you are quite right...there is a story behind the mask.

I have always found the more difficult personalities more interesting to coach and mentor. In the end much of what a tennis coach does is motivate and help to shape performance. I loved to coach in competitive situations and teach young men how to deal with the difficulties and obstacles that present themselves on the tennis court. Of course much of the stuff must be sorted out before hand in terms of preparation and this is what Roger Federer is in terms of my calling him "The Living Proof". His preparation is down to the most infinitesimal detail. Obviously this is what Nick is lacking. He prides himself on his lack of preparation and if he wants to contend...in life or on the tennis court or anywhere for that matter...he is going to have to prepare. Otherwise it is a train wreck waiting to happen.

The media and unbelievable scrutiny that a guy in his position gets is beyond mortal comprehension. Take a guy like Alexander Zverev for example. Here is a young man without any of the outward appearances of dysfunction that trouble our boy Nick yet he has really had a devil of a time wresting with his success. Now he will have the same hard time dealing with the news of his failure. So Nick is in a spiral and for all appearances it is downward. I would like to try and intervene because I think that I could understand him if I could talk to him. This is what he needs.

Most people need a good kick in the ass to motivate them. They cry and moan for understanding but they can't seem to figure out that the real responsibility resides within. No amount of understanding or sympathy is going to give them the fuel they need to perform. Nick I am not too sure about. I think he needs professional help. I do feel sorry for him because inside in his heart of hearts it must really suck. It isn't easy being him. You have to be your own best friend somehow and it is clear that he is his own worst enemy. That needs to be straightened out. It can be done too. I believe in miracles.

You see everyone loves to dial into a good spectacle. The drama you call it. I am looking for heroes. Stand up men who take the bull by the horns. If somehow somebody could install this into Nick he might just trade in HIS horns for a cape. If I were in his ear I would say to him...YOU CAN DO IT!!!
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

The tennis court is a stage. Where else in life can one witness the two masks...one laughing and the other crying. I like that you see Nick Kyrgios as a human being...with all of the pitfalls. I am a bit curious about the male figures in Nick's life. I see the mother sometimes at the tournaments. He seems to have some really complicated issues with authority. It might arise from his relationship with his father or lack of compelling role models in his life. So you are quite right...there is a story behind the mask.
              agreed.
              I have always found the more difficult personalities more interesting to coach and mentor. In the end much of what a tennis coach does is motivate and help to shape performance. I loved to coach in competitive situations and teach young men how to deal with the difficulties and obstacles that present themselves on the tennis court. Of course much of the stuff must be sorted out before hand in terms of preparation and this is what Roger Federer is in terms of my calling him "The Living Proof". His preparation is down to the most infinitesimal detail. Obviously this is what Nick is lacking. He prides himself on his lack of preparation and if he wants to contend...in life or on the tennis court or anywhere for that matter...he is going to have to prepare. Otherwise it is a train wreck waiting to happen.
              agreed.
              as a youth coach, i think my job goes way beyond teaching fh & bh. it's at least as important to teach life values through the sport of tennis (hard work, detail oriented, grit/determination, universal value of "being on time" , etc...). i have realized that things in my own game are often manifestations of what is going on off the court (both good and bad). these days, i feel bad when i see rec folks breaking/throwing rackets, and taking a basically meaningless match, to extremes... because it's likely other areas of their life are not going well (that was true in my case anyway).
              The media and unbelievable scrutiny that a guy in his position gets is beyond mortal comprehension. Take a guy like Alexander Zverev for example. Here is a young man without any of the outward appearances of dysfunction that trouble our boy Nick yet he has really had a devil of a time wresting with his success. Now he will have the same hard time dealing with the news of his failure. So Nick is in a spiral and for all appearances it is downward. I would like to try and intervene because I think that I could understand him if I could talk to him. This is what he needs.

Most people need a good kick in the ass to motivate them. They cry and moan for understanding but they can't seem to figure out that the real responsibility resides within. No amount of understanding or sympathy is going to give them the fuel they need to perform. Nick I am not too sure about. I think he needs professional help. I do feel sorry for him because inside in his heart of hearts it must really suck. It isn't easy being him. You have to be your own best friend somehow and it is clear that he is his own worst enemy. That needs to be straightened out. It can be done too. I believe in miracles.

You see everyone loves to dial into a good spectacle. The drama you call it. I am looking for heroes. Stand up men who take the bull by the horns. If somehow somebody could install this into Nick he might just trade in HIS horns for a cape. If I were in his ear I would say to him...YOU CAN DO IT!!!
              for me, i appreciate the drama in a guy like nick, because i can relate... he's got issues, i got issues. i'm waiting/hoping for the transformation/evolution. but in order for that to happen, he's got to confront his own demons, and tackle them head on (accepting and working on whatever it is).
              even fed in his younger days was fiery, and broke racquets. very opposite to the calm cool collected hero we see now. my recollection is that he attributed the change partly to death of his coach. hopefully nick doesn't have to go through something that terrible for a change to take place (though i've read at least a couple books that cite tramautic experiences are often keys to greatness).

Comment

Of all his antics that are not ok, I think the worst to me is the way he abuses his box. There have been several matches where his brother(and other hangers on) are in his box and he is not really happy with them for their level of worship of his play where it was brutal to watch the abuse.
                Last edited by stroke; 05-23-2019, 07:46 AM.

Comment

stroke, Andy Murray abused his box as well. Think that is why Mauresmo left.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                    stroke, Andy Murray abused his box as well. Think that is why Mauresmo left.
                    I am aware of Murray's brand of whining and complaining to his box, but Nick to me was a whole different level of abuse

Comment

Kyrgios just pulled out of French Open.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7773 users online. 8 members and 7765 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X