Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum July 2019: Downward Wrist Flex in Pro Forehands

Downward Wrist Flex in Pro Forehands

What is going on here? I first noticed the downward wrist flex in his forehand backswing when I filmed Francis Tiafoe in the juniors. Had to be a technical mistake, I thought at the time. Then Karen Khachanov burst on the scene, and he did it too only seemingly more extremely than Tiafoe.

It goes to show that pro technique continues to evolve. But what does this downward flex actually do if anything? Is it an advance? An idiosyncrasy? Guess what Denis Shapovalov does it also.

Who should try it? Should anyone teach it? Weigh in please!

Last edited by johnyandell; 05-15-2021, 03:39 PM.

This downward flex is very interesting. Both these players have a pretty western grip(it looks like their heel pad is on the 4.5 to 5 bevel). This downward flex may work better with this type of grip, or this could just be a coincidence. This downward flex could help maybe with setting their wrist in a completely passive relaxed way, which is of course desired on top level forehands. If one really relaxes the wrist, the weight of the racquet head would put the racquet in this downward flex position.

Comment

Remember Berasatequi? That plus an extreme western grip

Comment

Brian Gordon described it as a "pre-acceleration going into the flip". Seems to occur with players who raise their shoulder/elbows in the backswing in a modern ATP type forehand swing.

Comment

Fognini has the downward flex in his prep and he has a very compact powerful forehand, as good as any except maybe Rafa and Fed.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
            Fognini has the downward flex in his prep and he has a very compact powerful forehand, as good as any except maybe Rafa and Fed.
            I don't think Fognini has the downward flex. Looks like his wrist is neutral and the racket head is angled upward. Tiafoe and Khachanov have a downward wrist angle and the racket is parallel to the ground. But yes, he does have a very compact forehand.

fognini.png
            Last edited by jeffreycounts; 07-07-2019, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreycounts View Post

I don't think Fognini has the downward flex. Looks like his wrist is neutral and the racket head is angled upward. Tiafoe and Khachanov have a downward wrist angle and the racket is parallel to the ground. But yes, he does have a very compact forehand.

fognini.png
              Looking at it again, I think you are right. His wrist is neutral in prep.

Comment

Jeff, check out Sam Querry forehand. I think he has some version of the downward tilt in his prep. It is not as pronounced as Karen and Francis, he does not kind of dangle the downward flex as they do, but to me he is doing it.

Comment

I do believe in evolution of tennis and particular strokes as we all should. Seeing the forehand article on Kyrios and Sock and the flowing way they are playing it looks and feels good to me. I know these guys have some extreme grips too so the down flex may help them relax so they can lay the wrist back more in the “flip” and forward swing, but in my humble opinion this doesn’t look like the future to me.

Comment

it's like "paint the fence" from karate kid...
                    using the extension muscles of the forearm/wrist to help speed the downward acceleration (vs. doing it with just gravity and shoulder).
                    for me, it complicates the stroke too much (just like other racquet head speed tactics: like pointing the tip to the net type takeback)

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                      Jeff, check out Sam Querry forehand. I think he has some version of the downward tilt in his prep. It is not as pronounced as Karen and Francis, he does not kind of dangle the downward flex as they do, but to me he is doing it.
                      I took a look at some Querry forehands, and sure enough the downward flex is there!

Comment

Digging up this topic as I am watching Khachanov match, Brian Gordon stated in his last article on the type 3 forehand(his pure type 3 model) that the wrist does not flip back with this technique. He in fact said this is incorrect. Khachanov and Tiafoe, with these downward flex forehands, definitely flip the wrist back moving to contact.

Comment

Happened to see this though I don't often wander much. I guess I wasn't clear - the "lag" theory such as it is states the "flip" loads the wrist joint for SSC enhanced release into the contact point - this is incorrect in the Type III for sure but most other forms also. Motion of the wrist joint during the flip nearly always occurs and is an optimization to the angle between the racquet and the arm so the the rotating racquet can directly (type III) or indirectly (see next article) externally rotate the shoulder. The wrist position these guys both have in the back swing is apparently an effort to enhance the flip mechanism, not the target of it in my view - to me it also adds a lot of unnecessary drama but does prove there are many ways to put the ball in the court.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianGordon View Post
                            ...to me it also adds a lot of ''unnecessary drama''..
                            That's a great way to put it.

I always say a stroke should contain no unnecessary movements that are surplus to requirements. There is nothing about Roger's forehand that you would take away nor is there anything else you would add in, period.
                            Stotty

Comment

Downward flex sure looks like a wrist injury waiting to happen if the wrist gets too active.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8420 users online. 3 members and 8417 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X