Question on non-dominant arm in 1HBH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on non-dominant arm in 1HBH

John, (as you may recall) I have been in the process for some time in changing from the 2 hander to the 1HBH. A few months ago I fully committed to the change and have not looked back since. My timing was good in light of your 1HBH series (which probably influenced the decision); that analysis has been awesome.

Here are the 2 lingering problems, which are no doubt related. First, I have a tendency to start the forward movement of the swing with the racquet still off/in front of my back shoulder. Whereas the high speed videos reveal that every pro begins the forward swing by dropping (or looping) the racquet down (from wherever their start point is) to the back hip before progressing forward across the body toward contact. Is this initiated by the non-dominant hand pushing the racquet downward or by a shoulder turn that naturally drops and wraps the racquet hand around the torso/hip? Often when I consciously try to do it I am late, especially with balls higher in the strike zone.

Also, although I understand completely the concept of the non-dominant arm staying behind the body and countering the dominant arm at and after contact, I have a tendency to rotate that shoulder and arm forward.

It seems I can execute the proper technique with ease just practicing the swing off court but have spotty execution with actual balls.

After reading your latest entry this morning in the 1HBH series, I realize some of this may be a balance issue, as you how describe club players tend to put too much weight on the front foot and erupt forward into the shot. I will definitely try (again) the open stance as you advise. Anything else that may help?

Thanks John.

$100 says the problem is with your outside foot set up. Same as we saw with the 2 hander. I would work on the open stance.

Regarding the hitting arm I would NOT try to point the tip behind, or use the left hand and try to make a loop. Go straight back with the arm straight to the same place you see the pros when they START forward. (IE, with the arm straight.)

Now you should be able to stay sideways and oppose the arms.

Comment

With the back foot, I will NOT take that bet.

I think I understand on the second thing ...

Comment

So take care of it! Look at the Hansen one-handed footwork article again.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7809 users online. 10 members and 7799 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X