The fall of Dimitrov

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fall of Dimitrov

This article argues for a crisis in confidence. Is confidence mental of physical?

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
    This article argues for a crisis in confidence. Is confidence mental of physical?

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/ten...slump-1.890468
    We discussed Grigor Dimitrov at length a couple of years ago. Is confidence mental or physical? Does it have anything to do with the women you hang with? In Dimitrov's case it might boil down to this oddly enough. We were discussing his liaisons with Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams...both seemingly toxic mixes of the feminine. Perhaps not what a tennis player needs to back up his fragile ego. More recently he has an older woman as his companion...good stability but enough motivation? I had him pegged as "The Bulgarian Playboy" as in he had a choice...either buckle down and get down to brass tacks on the tennis angle or continue to waste his energy on the toxic relationships.

The article discusses a bit about his Roger Federer roots and in the case of feminine companionship he might have borrowed a page out of Roger's book. Grigor's serve never lived up to expectations as it was never as dominate as I felt it should be. Another aspect of the Federer he should have paid a bit more attention to. Federer into his late thirties now has reinvented himself on the quick strike and the brief service games. Banking on the serve he is delivering on some really big paydays. It really isn't rocket science and Grigor has never found the right team to get him on track. As the women have come and gone so to the team have come and gone. Relationships. Causal relationships too. Confidence is chemistry...the right mix and Dimitrov is the poster boy for confidence dysfunction. It one of the things he could not successfully imitate when it came to Roger Federer.

HIs game was largely a carbon copy and near as it could be. But the imitation is never as good as the original. He never had the right woman in his corner either. In his case as in most cases it is a number of things. It is rare to get it all right. You have to be a control freak...and a good one at that. Other wise you are chasing your tail which is exactly what Dimitrov has been doing since we discussed him. I believe that we more or less predicted this for him...by we I refer to me. Everything looks to be elegant but it lacks a bit of the grit. You know...the dirt. Something that isn't quite nice. Like the look on Roger's face when he is serving out the set. He is going for the jugular.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

We discussed Grigor Dimitrov at length a couple of years ago. Is confidence mental or physical? Does it have anything to do with the women you hang with? ...

HIs game was largely a carbon copy and near as it could be. But the imitation is never as good as the original. He never had the right woman in his corner either. In his case as in most cases it is a number of things. It is rare to get it all right. You have to be a control freak...and a good one at that. Other wise you are chasing your tail which is exactly what Dimitrov has been doing since we discussed him. I believe that we more or less predicted this for him...by we I refer to me. Everything looks to be elegant but it lacks a bit of the grit. You know...the dirt. Something that isn't quite nice. Like the look on Roger's face when he is serving out the set. He is going for the jugular.
      It's funny because a few years ago I talked to Lundgren about Federer's forehand. The conversation somehow turned to Dimitrov and at the time I thought he had a very good game. Lundgren agreed with me that the game was good but then said "He is a REALLY nice guy."

I think the little hitch on his serve which looks like Fed's but is much less helpful is the biggest problem. At this height and with his athleticism, I think a world class serve would have made all the difference.

I also feel like he just doesn't see the ball as early. Tends to play off of his back foot.

I think it is ultimately physical. The serve breaks down under pressure. He cannot be aggressive so he had to learn to play off of his back foot. Eventually, the foot speed diminished and he began to "chase his tail,"

Will the Dimitrov, Raonic generation eventually be called the lost generation?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8791 users online. 4 members and 8787 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X