Video camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video camera?

Am looking for a new video camera for stroke analysis when playing. Should also have good display software for an iMac. Thanks.

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
    Am looking for a new video camera for stroke analysis when playing. Should also have good display software for an iMac. Thanks.
    I am looking of another camera too. This time a shockproof camera with a wide angle lens so I can film the whole width of the court. I guess I need a 180 degree (or approaching 180 degrees) wide-angle lens to do that. I want to avoid the fisheye look as I find it very distorting when reviewing back the clip.
    Stotty

Comment

Guys. I use a Sony action cam, the back court at my club is HUGE so you might not get as much viewing area as I do, but it was relatively inexpensive, and takes great video. I have used ziplining, ATV racing, and under water in the protective case as well. It does 120FPS and in bright light is pretty clear obviously YouTube makes it look worse.

J

Comment

I use the Sony RX100 Mark IV, they also have a Mark V and now a Mark VI. Very impressive cameras, can shoot up to 1000fps but I use 240fps. Can get HD quality at 240fps but only for short burst from 2 - 8 seconds depending on setting. 4K video for up to 5 minutes. One really cool feature for high speed filming (240 - 1000fps) is that you can use what Sony calls "end trigger" where you record after a stroke, so you don't waste time finding the ideal stroke you're looking for. I have a library of strokes where I compare students strokes, side by side, with pro strokes on a tablet. I also compare students strokes over time, this allows the short burst recording to work for me.

Comment

I use a Casio EX FH 25. 240fps and adjustable high speed shutter. I record to standard memory cards and then look at everything on a mac using Quick Time 7 windows. I never use other software. The windows are far more flexible. The cameras been discontinued for years but you can still find them on EBay. The big advantage is the manual control of the everything.

Comment

I also use a Casio FH100, besides my Sony RX100 IV. The Casio's quality isn't a nice as as the Sony but can have continuous filming at 240 - 1000fps. The Sony has HD quality but in short bursts, while the Casio resolution is 448 x 336 at 240 fps (120fps = 640 x 480). Casio has 4 models that have the high frame rate with adjustable shutter speed. I find the Casio FH100 fine for outdoor filming but very lacking for indoor filming.

1) Casio F1 - revolutionized high speed cameras about 10-12 years ago - still very high quality. Most expensive of these 4 cameras.
            2) Casio FH20 - earlier system than John's FH 25. Don't care for the battery setup - still very good quality
            3) Casio FH25 - John's model, again don't care for the battery setup - still very good quality
            4) Casio FH100 - Pocket size camera and is very good quality. Just saw one on Ebay (from Japan) $100 with shipping.
            Last edited by seano; 08-02-2019, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Actually, I have opted for the app Hudl on an iPad. Allows slow motion, frame by frame analysis very easily.

Comment

Hudl provides video review and performance analysis tools for sports teams and athletes at every level.

Comment

I use Coach's eye, but Hudl is good too. They are basically the same.

J

Comment

I have been using only sony cameras my entire life, however recently I got dissapointed by their products and I am looking for a new camera to replace the older one. Mostly, I need it for the same purposes as the author. What cameras could you actually recommend me?! Ohh, and by the way, I have a podcast where I discuss different events from the sports world, not only tennis, also soccer and many other. My older camera for podcast is broken and I am looking to get a new one, which would be better. Don't you guys have a list of best cameras for podcasts?, I would really appreciate that!
                    Last edited by Eliadoming; 05-27-2021, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Here's an approachable, ultra-high-speed camera. NO, this isn't for everybody and not for everyday coaching. But for study of strokes and more.

Freefy Wave Camera can do up to 9,259 FPS to 422 FPS in 4K. Rents for $550 a week or retail for $11k (not incl lenses.)

Limitations: Manual focus lens only, and Windows software only. Preview would require attaching external HDMI monitor, like many vid cameras.
                      More:
                      • Sensor: Super 35 ams CMV12000
                      • • File Format: 10-Bit Compressed Bayer Raw, ~5:1 Compression
                      • • Resolutions & Frame Rates:
                      • 4096 x 2176 at 422 FPS, 5.5:1 (6.84Gbps)
                      • 2048 x 1088 at 1461 FPS, 5.5:1 (5.92Gbps)
                      • 4096 x 256 at 3275 FPS, 16:1
                      • 2048 x 128 at 9259 FPS, 16:1
                      • • ISO Range: Native ISO 250
                      • • Ports & I/O:
                      • HDMI A (Supports Up to 1080p30)
                      • 6-Pin GPIO
                      • USB-C 3.2
                      • 12-26V DC In
                      • 2 x 1/4"-20 Ports
                      • 8 x M3 Ports
                      • • Lens Compatibility: Sony E Mount (Passive)
                      • • Memory Card Compatibility: 2TB Internal NVMe SSD Only
                      • • Monitor/LCD: None, Must Use External Monitor
                      • • Dimensions: 5.9 Wide x 3.81 Tall x 1.85" Deep
                      • • Weight: 1.58 lbs
                      • • Additional Features: WiFi/Bluetooth, Internal Battery Only (V-Mount Broadcast Batteries Not Included)
                      • • Important Notes: The footage from this camera is recorded in a compressed 10-bit RGB raw format that can't be currently opened with anything other than Wave Player. From there, you can export in MOV, H.264, and in PNG/JPEG sequence formats. This camera will mount as an external drive when connected to a computer but for the most reliable performance, the USB cable and USB port used need to be USB-C SuperSpeed (5Gbps). There is no audio capture with this camera. External SSDs cannot be used at this time.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7744 users online. 3 members and 7741 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X