Washington Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington Open

Quite the showdown 2nd round match going on Opelka vs FAA, a couple of US Open dark horses to me. Opelka's serve is right there with the other 2 giants, Isner and Karlovic, but he moves way better, I think because he has a much better tennis physique for a 6'10-6'11" guy. And his groundstrokes are definitely a step up from those 2, particularly his backhand. FAA and the demon would be a very interesting 40 yard dash.

FAA won it. Super high quality match. Love both those guys professionalism and on court demeanor. Such small margains. Understandable how super tough it is to keep it together out there.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
      FAA won it. Super high quality match. Love both those guys professionalism and on court demeanor. Such small margains. Understandable how super tough it is to keep it together out there.
      Yeah...some good stuff going on there in Washington D. C. Besides the main attraction...you know. But I remember the old Washington Star tournament that I attended with the late, great Don Budge. Great memories. I won't bore you again...with the details.

Stefanos Tsitsipas seeded number one. The kiss of death it seems for up and coming players. Nick "The Jerk" Kyrgios still alive...who managed to keep him awake for two whole rounds? Marin Cilic up next for Felix Auger-Aliassime. Tiafoe versus Medvedev...good potential with some interesting quirks. Milos once again on the comeback trail. Jo-Wilfred Tsonga knocking off the second seed at the bottom of the draw. Welcome back...Jo-Wilfred.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

My Hometown tournament, I haven't gone much recently but great memories as a teen in the 70's thru 2000's. Guillermo Vilas's topspin backhand used to be my favorite stroke. Watched all the greats, remember watching Arthur Ashe right after he beat Conner's at Wimbledon. Ken Rosewall & Brian Gottfried's slice backhands, Conner's, Jose-Louis Clerc, Lendl, Tony Roche, Cliff Richey, Local boy Harold Soloman, Eddie Dibbs. Great stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
          My Hometown tournament, I haven't gone much recently but great memories as a teen in the 70's thru 2000's. Guillermo Vilas's topspin backhand used to be my favorite stroke. Watched all the greats, remember watching Arthur Ashe right after he beat Conner's at Wimbledon. Ken Rosewall & Brian Gottfried's slice backhands, Conner's, Jose-Louis Clerc, Lendl, Tony Roche, Cliff Richey, Local boy Harold Soloman, Eddie Dibbs. Great stuff.
          That's quite a list of players, Seano. Tony Roche was one of my favourites. He was a dogged player if ever there was one, with one amazing backhand volley and really nasty swinging lefty serve. It's great to have a great tournament on your door step. I have one on my doorstep too. You may have heard of it...it's called Wimbledon?
          Stotty

Comment

Too funny Stotty, jealous )

Comment

Guillermo Vilas's topspin backhand used to be my favorite stroke.
              I will never forget how Don Budge gushed about the Vilas backhand when we had returned to camp after spending the day there at the Washington Star in '72 or '73. I will never forget that for as long as I live. Not jealous either of Stotty. God bless him. The tennis there is sublime but you can have the rest of it.
              don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                Stefanos Tsitsipas seeded number one. The kiss of death it seems for up and coming players. Nick "The Jerk" Kyrgios still alive...who managed to keep him awake for two whole rounds? Marin Cilic up next for Felix Auger-Aliassime. Tiafoe versus Medvedev...good potential with some interesting quirks. Milos once again on the comeback trail. Jo-Wilfred Tsonga knocking off the second seed at the bottom of the draw. Welcome back...Jo-Wilfred.
                As bad as this Bad Boy can manage to alienate everyone around him he is still the darling of the tennis tournament. As evidenced with the "Washington Star" putting him on the showcase time two nights in a row. Bypassing the number one seed, Stefanos Tsitsipas, in the process interestingly enough. But Nick Kyrgios is going to prove me right in the end...there are redeeming qualities sometimes even in the worst actors. He is seeking help. So he says.

“"I’'ve got some people working with me on the mental side of things because I want to make improvements. I’m winning matches and there are some glimpses of that."”

The kiss of death is the number one seed to a "Next Generation" player. Let's just call them an up and comer without feeling the need for the hype. I have really learned to hate the "Next Generation" moniker. It's just another way of searching for the next cash cow. I know it's a business. But it is more than that...at least to me. But Stefanos may just be playing into the Devil's hand and I hope to God that he is not. That number one seed status just plays with these minds of the young men trying to eat their way up the food chain.

"“It'’s very pleasing knowing that I can be mature and handle those situations very bravely, so I’m really happy with that," said Tsitsipas. "I showed character out there. I played heroic tennis, I would say, in those crucial moments. That was very nice to see.”"

I love the fact that the young Stefanos is using a word like hero...as in heroic. I believe that you have to think in terms such as these if you want to be on the very top. But you have to be very careful about who you share this kind of talk with. Once the words are out there everyone has license to twist them into another context which can and will be used against you. I would rather see Stefanos mention that he is trying to get that little chink in the armour in his service motion or talk about the importance of working on net play and approach shots. Hero talk is something that others will use to get into your head. Motivate them to take you down. It is human instinct. You have to be a big man...a huge man to back up that kind of talk. If you are not so sure you can...better to keep your mouth shut. The less said the better. Just keep the head down and keep plowing ahead. The press conferences are booby traps. Sports writers just plain suck in general.
                don_budge

Comment

Guillermo Vilas's topspin backhand used to be my favorite stroke.
                  My friends and I used to play a ton of ping pong and pool in one friend's basement. We would play like best of eleven up to 21. Man...we would be down in the basement shouting "Vilas" whenever we pounded a topspin backhand for a winner. Vilas!!!

don_budge

Comment

Tsitsipas vs Kyrgios. The public will love it. Kyrgios and his showmanship/antics are very popular with the crowd. His matches, when he is in the groove are very entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                      Tsitsipas vs Kyrgios. The public will love it. Kyrgios and his showmanship/antics are very popular with the crowd. His matches, when he is in the groove are very entertaining.
                      Like Stotty, I cannot warm to Nick but he is certainly a super watchable talent. Oddsmakers have Stefanos as a slight favorite, but I like Nick in this match. His serve is just so much better, and return of serve of Stefanos is not his strong suit. I think Nick's backhand is more consistent also. Both have great forehands, Nick's may be more spectacular, but Stefanos is very good off that side. Stefanos definitely a big edge in the mental side lol, probably the sole reason he is favored.

Comment

Certainly more entertaining than watching Djokovic versus Agut, with endless baseline rallies...

Comment

Nick versus Stefanos

It's probably the first compelling match in donkey’s years that doesn’t involve the Big 3. Finally, there could be light at the end of the tunnel. Two players that are young and have star appeal.

I don’'t like Nick much but he is thorough watchable. He makes compelling viewing, as does Tsitsipas.

Let’s hope the match lives up to expectations. It needs to, for tennis's sake.
                          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                            Certainly more entertaining than watching Djokovic versus Agut, with endless baseline rallies...
                            Djokovic versus Anybody...Amen.
                            don_budge

Comment

What an entertaining match: Kyrgios might be a bit nuts, but he was absolutely brilliant, mixing up all kinds of shots, great serving, involving the crowd. So fun to watch. Tennis needs characters like him.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7492 users online. 3 members and 7489 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X