No announcement yet.

Rodgers Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Nick will win at least one major, maybe kind of like Goran did. But he is never going to be a guy that goes to work every week like the 3 great ones did as we all know. We also know as hard as it is to get to #1, it is harder to stay there. We may enter an era as women's tennis has where the #1's come and go very quickly. Since the mid 80's, the dominant players have been easy to see, Lendl, Sampras, Fed, Nadal, and Novak. Those guys all got to the top of the game and set up set up shop. We may not see this type of #1 for a while.

Comment

Monfils just dug deep to defeat RBA in a 3rd set tiebreaker in 2:25 minutes. Now he has to play Rafa in about 3 hours to advance to the final. Who to pick?

Comment

I just caught the last game at 5-6 followed by the tiebreak of the Agut v Monfils match. Not a bad last 5 minutes to watch. Monfils played a great breaker and must have changed up play from what the pattern of the match had been thus far? He hit a hatful of down the line backhands that Agut just wasn't expecting and which caught him stranded. What a great thing to do in a final set tiebreak and especially against a robot like Agut....change the pattern of play.
        Stotty

Comment

Nadal vs Medvedev. This one is going to leave a mark. Nadal sending Medevev to areas of the court he is not familiar with. Just another example, completely unneeded, of why he is as of right now at the very least the second best of all time. And as Nadal does things, it is going to be a particularly painful final scoreline. No quarter given. I would coach Rafa at this point to skip Cincinnati and go in max rested for the US Open.

Comment

Brutally efficient performance by Rafa in the final. Medvedev played poorly and Rafa made him play dearly for it. Shame, I was hoping for a better contest.
            Stotty

Comment

Yawn...on to Cincinnati. Roger Federer in the house.
              don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Don_budge, I know you do not particularly like Nadal, but just read his biography “Rafa”, and understand him much better now. I know you won’t but try reading it...

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                  Don_budge, I know you do not particularly like Nadal, but just read his biography “Rafa”, and understand him much better now. I know you won’t but try reading it...
                  gzhpcu...thanks for taking the time to address my "Nadal" shall we say, annoyance. I feel like it is an allergy. I have to say that I find him so annoying that I know I couldn't bear to read an entire biography about him. But you know that. But that doesn't mean that other may find something redeeming about him and you sort of hint that yourself. I will read anything that you might want to share about Mr. Nadal that you might think would change my mind about him. But my thoughts are solely grounded on what I see of him on the court and in the few times I have actually heard him speak. Surprise me.

I only express my thoughts and feelings and to the best of my ability. There is really no right or wrong. I don't expect everyone not to love Nadal. Obviously he has a following. But he strikes me as a very strange character if only because of the intense annoyance that I find about him. I don't think I can think of anyone who quite annoys me in the manner that he does. To be honest from what I have seen of him I cannot stand him. Of course at the same time I observe his winning ways on the tennis court but on the other hand there is no other player that makes me feel glad if they lose. Well, maybe except Serena Williams. I think that I see them both as bullies. Ruthless bullies who would do anything to win. Including cheating...but only if they can do it without getting caught.

Why don't you list five things that might just change my mind about him from his biography. That would be interesting. No...I don't particularly like him but I don't lose any sleep over it either.
                  don_budge
                  Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Let me see:

1). He is very attached to his family and needs their support. Very close to his mother, father and sister. When on tour, phones them daily.
                    2) He is very loyal to his team, he is no playboy. His girlfriend stays out of the limelight.
                    3). He is full of phobias, privately is very insecure. He suffers from a compulsive disorder, resulting in ticks. With willpower manages to overcome this handicap. His many ticks are a shield he builds around himself.
                    4) He has to hype himself into warrior mode, starting in the locker room up to the coin toss. He was bullied by his uncle Tony since a child, yet never rebelled.
                    5) He hits every stoke with full intensity.
                    6) He has overcome many injuries with discipline.
                    7). Never throws his racket. Treats every opponent with respect.

Comment

I like Darren Cahill as an announcer. He comes across to me as a nice respectful guy who knows tennis. I was watching a Nadal match not long ago and Darren talked about how he has used Nadal's matches and interviews as a tool with his coaching of Simona Halep, having her watch his matches and interviews with him as a template and talking about how Nadal approaches tennis.
                      Last edited by stroke; 08-12-2019, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                        Let me see:

1). He is very attached to his family and needs their support. Very close to his mother, father and sister. When on tour, phones them daily.
                        2) He is very loyal to his team, he is no playboy. His girlfriend stays out of the limelight.
                        3). He is full of phobias, privately is very insecure. He suffers from a compulsive disorder, resulting in ticks. With willpower manages to overcome this handicap. His many ticks are a shield he builds around himself.
                        4) He has to hype himself into warrior mode, starting in the locker room up to the coin toss. He was bullied by his uncle Tony since a child, yet never rebelled.
                        5) He hits every stoke with full intensity.
                        6) He has overcome many injuries with discipline.
                        7). Never throws his racket. Treats every opponent with respect.
                        It's his extraordinary reverence that I like. Of course, he knows he is great, but he takes zero for granted when he walks on court. His insecurity is in large part the reason for that. He is wary of any opponent no matter how far down the food chain they are.

I just wish he wouldn't take so damn long to serve! It's my only gripe...
                        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

It's his extraordinary reverence that I like. Of course, he knows he is great, but he takes zero for granted when he walks on court. His insecurity is in large part the reason for that. He is wary of any opponent no matter how far down the food chain they are.

I just wish he wouldn't take so damn long to serve! It's my only gripe...
                          I like his reverence, but I like his forehand better.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9112 users online. 7 members and 9105 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                          X