2019 Western & Southern Open...ATP 1000...Cincinnati, USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Western & Southern Open...ATP 1000...Cincinnati, USA

The cobwebs and the blur are starting to disappear. The dreadful hangover after the all consuming, totally depleting Wimbledon final between Novak Djokovic (the most boring number one player ever) and Roger Federer (the lone surviving link to classic tennis) is finally dissipating. You can only do so much for a hangover and basically you just have to wait until it loses it's hold on you. In this case a bit of "the hair of the dog that bit you" will be a great start.

The draw:

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

The very first thing that I look for is Roger Federer's name. I found it down in the 17th line so I am resolved that this is a real tennis tournament. Now the entire draw sheet takes on new meaning. It's interesting just because I know he is there. Thirty-eight years of age now he is getting rather long in the tooth as it goes for professional tennis players but because of an extraordinary lack of extraordinary Roger is still in the mix. His participation may be day to day but his effect is the only redeeming thing in the game today. The rest of it is basically doo doo. Welcome to the post Roger Federer era of tennis. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Thank you Roger for entering this tournament. He's warming up for the U. S. Open and he is going to get a good taste for the tourney just in his semi-final bracket alone. Grigor Dimitrov and "Stanamite" Wawrinka have the great misfortune to have drawn each other once again for the second time in two weeks. Getting to know you...getting to know all about you. Plus you have Daniil Medvedev who is still alive in the Rogers Cup slated to play a questionable Stefanos Tsitsipas. Tsitsipas seems to have been reading too much of his own press clippings lately and is in dire danger in slipping into the malaise that is Alexander Zverev's world. The young has been. Although it just might be all developmental...with mental the operative part of the word.

At any rate each match takes on a brighter perspective just for the presence of Federer. Even if you have to wonder just how long he cares to hang in Cincinnati. He couldn't possibly want another rematch with Djokovic. To get there might be just too much of an effort to face the consequences so it will be very, very interesting to see if he opts out at the most convenient exit available. But I would love to see him play Stan Wawrinka at least one more time.

It's too bad that Roger is in the top half as the number three seed. It would have been better to see a Fafa rematch in the bottom semi-final. Roger having mastered the consummate charlatan in six of the last seven meetings. The lone victory for Nadal being a semi-final in the French Open where they played in gale force winds. I still think Roger was even money in that one if not for the wind favouring the muscle headed bully. Thank the Lord for grass though...Federer's win there in the semi was the best of all possible redemption.

You see...it's interesting. And not just because I said so.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

As if that wasn't enough (the first post) here's just a tad more. I'm looking forwards to a Alexander Zverev vs. Felix Auger-Aliassime (spelled correctly on the first try). Here will be a tremendous amount of pressure on Zverev. Does he collapse under the strain or does he man up? The return of Andy Murray! I heard this during one of my momentary glimpses of the Roger's Cup. Andy is the type of player who isn't missed until he is not around. When he is around he can be very, very annoying but I have to admit that he is sorely missed on the tour as he was one player who could go up against any of the other three in the former Big Four. He starts out with Richard Gasquet whom he stood 8-3 head to head in a former life. A former life being a perennial top four player instead of the 325th that he is ranked now.

For the first time in a long, long time we have all four of the Big Four in the draw. Murray's disappearance upset the precarious balance of the top heavy rankings. It's sort of amazing how much he is actually missed and it will be very interesting to see what kind of form he is in.
    don_budge

Comment

DB has pretty much covered the particulars of this draw. I would point out that Nick, should he win the 1st round match, will have Khachanov in the 2nd round. Khachanov is looking more like a contender than Alex and Stefanos as of late obviously. Nick, what can we say, he is the most likely to beat Fed, Novak, or Nadal if he can work his way to them. Opelka is in as a wildcard and could make an impact.

On a side note, Tomic is certainly seeing the ramifications of letting his ranking drop so low. 1st round qualies, he has Rublev. If he upsets Rublev, he would have the winner of Sock vs Kukushkin to qualify for the main draw.
      Last edited by stroke; 08-10-2019, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        On a side note, Tomic is certainly seeing the ramifications of letting his ranking drop so low. 1st round qualies, he has Rublev. If he upsets Rublev, he would have the winner of Sock vs Kukushkin to qualify for the main draw.
        The "new normal" prevails for the Aussies as Bernie quits early on in his match with Andrey "Raskilnikov" Rublev. The other side of the coin is the epic enigma Nick Kyrgios. Which Nick? Which one will show up? He has a challenging draw which should normally motivate a player. A normal player. But Nick pride's himself on marching to a different drummer. Or maybe no drummer whatsoever. But I don't know the details of Bernie's withdrawal. I only know that it fits a pattern. It really sucks and it tarnishes a great Australian legacy.

don_budge

Comment

Is it already that time for Cincinnati? Geez where has 2019 gone?
          That Dimitrov-Wawrinka first round is always brutal. Wanted to see both players get far. Federer and Djokovic are back playing and thank goodness. I saw 5 minutes of Montreal and I was already bored. Nadal dominates in the two big French speaking cities huh? What's up with that? Hoping Roger puts a week of magic together.
          In other news, Berdych will be back playing in Winston Salem next week. Took a WC and I just hope he's healthy. Curtain drawing on his career. His last year on tour most likely.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Federer to the Fore! The match of the day is Roger Federer versus Anybody. Somebody. Please!

Some mildly interesting developments and one in particular that hammers home my point(s) so beautifully that I don't feel the need to belabour my point. Not a little bit. Not a smidgeon. I am only a voice in the wilderness...neither right or wrong. Just a voice. Food for thought. Designed to make you think. To provoke. To destroy the status quo. Conventional wisdom. Chuck it all out the window and headfirst into the mulch pile. Ho hum. Yawn. Yada...yada...yada.

Juan Ignacio Londero. Ranked number 55 in the world yet I have never heard of him. I wonder if Roger has. Argentine who beat one of the latest and greatest on the ATP tour...Matteo Berrettini. They come and they go...that's a ting that I know. Grigor Dimitrov and Stanamite Wawrinka teeing it up at five PM here in Europe today. Three of the most beautiful one handed backhands in the world all in a subset of four in a set of sixty-four. It must be a conspiracy...like a suicide under the radar of a suicide watch. Stefanos Tsitsipas as the number five seed in an elite tournament...the target gets bigger and bigger as the weeks go by. Jan-Lennard Struff has no respect for seeds. They are meant to be eaten. Alexander Zverev's star is falling...visibly. He is the number seven seed and his stock has fallen a lot...barely perceptible reflecting his seed. Still number seven. Seeds mean nothing unless you can back them up. Who can back them up? Novak can. Federer can.

Speaking of one handed backhands...Dominic Thiem and Richard Gasquet to tee it up as well in the second round. More conspiracy theory? Is the object to get rid of the one-handers as soon as possible so as not to wake up the tennis world that there actually is another option. It wouldn't surprise me. I have seen the ITF sell out the game for less than 13 sheckels before. Alex de Minaur to the second round. He ground out a win against another one-handed backhand Marco Cecchinato. This goes against the theory but not enough to get me any high hopes for the grisly grinder. What's this...Mikhail Kukushkin is the new second seed? What a surprise...imagine my surprise.

Andy Murray returns to singles competition. He looked to be around fifty-five years old against Richard Gasquet. Gasquet relishing a bit of revenge against the Scot and thoroughly seeming to enjoy it. You have to wonder if Murray can make it all the way back. Judging by this match if I had to hazard a guess, I would have to guess...not.

On a racial note and not meant to be racist. Frances Tiafoe versus Gael Monfils. How interesting is that? How about Kei Nishikori versus Yoshihito Nishioka in an all Japanese second round? What's the point don_budge? What...do you mean I have to have one? It is only interesting.
            don_budge

Comment

Murray did not look good. His greatest strength on the court when he was at his best was his court coverage. His strokes never were easy on the eye. Gasquet, who has such an easy on the eye game, seemed to have all day to hit his beautiful backhand. With time like that, I think his is the best one hander out there, even better that Stan's. Still like Fed's the best overall.
              Last edited by stroke; 08-13-2019, 02:44 AM.

Comment

My US Open mega dark horse (also massive dark horse here in Cincy) Opelka got through a very tough 1st round match with Coric. These Masters 1000's are so tough from round 1 on. And Nadal has now won 35.

Comment

This was JY and I at Cincinnati in 2013. It was nice to meet him in person.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                    This was JY and I at Cincinnati in 2013. It was nice to meet him in person.
                    Just freaking awesome!
                    don_budge

Comment

Stefanos' vs Stuff 2nd round going to a 3rd. Struff is an interesting player at mid 30's in the world. A huge game with a Safin type build. He was pretty much dominating the match, serving for the match at 5-4 and faltered. I guess that is pretty much his main issue in a nutshell. I have now seen him play vs the 2 future stars of tennis, Stefanos and Alex, and Struff definitely has a bigger better serve than either, his forehand is better than both, particularly Alex, and yet he is in the mid 30's. This match kinda showed why maybe.

Comment

Struff is hitting the ball on average about 10mph faster than Stef off both sides for the match. That is a lot to overcome.

Comment

Struff wins 3rd set tiebreaker. His game is simply bigger than Stef and Alex. He is mid 30's in world. Tough out there.

Comment

Nick Kyrgios actually comes from behind to win a set. Nose to the grindstone. Have never seen this from Kyrgios.
                            don_budge

Comment

When the big three are gone, I think there will be no consistent dominant players anymore. A different winner for each big tournament. A lottery. Zerev goes out early, Kyrgios out already...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8771 users online. 4 members and 8767 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X