Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serve Grips

Hi John,

I was wondering if you ever plan to do an analysis on grips for the serve like you did with the forehand and backhand. I know that may sound silly since there's not that much variation, but I've been thinking about the different effects that would result as you vary from somewhere between eastern and continental all the way to eastern backhand. I have my own theories, but I think it would be nice to hear yours in an article.

By the way, there have been a lot of great articles in the last few issues! I'm looking forward to April's.

Vin

It's not something I've put a lot of thought or analysis into. So far as I can tell the grip plays a relatively minor role (within limits) because ball position and swing pattern also have so much to do with the spin.

But most lower level players who go more extreme gain (mainly side) spin and lose speed. This has to do with the flexibility in the shoulder. Again haven't really thought this thru too deeply. But I do think that a mild continental is a great grip for most players. Like about a 1 1/2 / 2 1/2.

So far as I can see Pete and Fed are only slightly stronger, may like a 1 / 2. Pete might be a hair stronger than that. You might gain some topspin all factors being equal if you can make the same rotation with those grips. Most players I see can't.
    Last edited by johnyandell; 03-29-2007, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell
      But I do think that a mild continental is a great grip for most players. Like about a 1 1/2 / 2 1/2.
      Wow, I'm glad I asked! I use a 2 / 1 1/2 and have been experimenting with 2 / 2 which seems more solid and less wristy. 1 1/2 / 2 1/2 feels very akward! In your notation, index knuckle is first and heel pad is second, right?

Comment

Sorry heel pad first. But forget about 2 / 2. You need the heel pad partially on top 1 1/2 is the minimum.

Comment

OK, thanks for your feedback.

Comment

serve grip

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
            But I do think that a mild continental is a great grip for most players. Like about a 1 1/2 / 2 1/2.
            I've never seen this sort of notation before...does the "1" refer to the top bevel? So 1 1/2 means the heel of the hand is between the top bevel and the next one?

And does "mild continental" mean moving the grip a bit in the direction of an eastern forehand?

Comment

Correct! If you go to Advanced Tennis and look under the forehand articles you can see the descriptions of the grip bevels and the contact points on the hand.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9756 users online. 9 members and 9747 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X