Daniil Medvedev...Meteoric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daniil Medvedev...Meteoric?

jimlosaltos made this comment in one of the "Sticky" threads called "Have a question for me". I saw the comments from Zverev and he is not a guy that one goes to for an interesting quote but what he said did raise a couple of eyebrows. Namely those of jimlosaltos and my own.

I have given Medvedev the nickname "Mr. Pencil" as he is built like a pencil with an eraser for a head. But Medvedev appears to be sort of a Djokovic 101 version and he plays with the same sort of uncanny balance of impeccable defence and the constant threat of aggressive offence.

But he isn't all that complicated as Alexander Zverev makes him out to be. Alexander sounds like he is describing the enigmatic Miloslav Mecir. Now there was a guy that players had a tough time getting their heads around. Much as Alexander has described Mecir...I mean Medvedev.

Daniil is a slippery character. Much like Novak Djokovic. But he is a cagey tactician as well. He seems to give you the limp leg that NFL running backs give to their tacklers and he breaks tackles and suddenly he is on the offence. A couple of times opponents played Medvedev tough at various times in their matches in Shanghai only to see him turn the momentum around and giving them the short end of the stick. He sort of does a bit of "rope-a-dope" by letting his opponents sort of punch themselves out and he then turns on the afterburners to the finish line.

He has a very underrated serve...at least to this point. If you get to the finals of a Grand Slam you must have a really good serve. It is a quick delivery which is very unlike Djokovic's in that regard. He wants to step up to the line and unload it on his opponent and this is a clever tactic in controlling the pace of play. Rafael Nadal found that he couldn't handle this pace of play and tried to rattle him with stalling tactics and I think that it worked. Somewhat.

Daniil has quite a streak going on now. And he gets right back to work in Moscow this week. He's a workhorse too. Interesting character too. He had the guts to get right back in the face of the entire New York Open crowd and give it right back to them after they were heckling him during a match. He nearly pulled of the amazing feat that he presented to them as a challenge. He said that if they kept up the abuse it was only going to give him the necessary energy to pull of winning the tournament.

He's certainly a tough opponent. No real visible weakness. He makes it up seemingly too. Unafraid to try different approaches. In the final of the U. S. Open he suddenly started to serve and volley and attack the net. Down in Australia he was serving to Novak Djokovic in the deuce court while standing nearly in the doubles alley. He's clever. He's Mr. Pencil.

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
    John or anyone have any thoughts on Daniil Medvedev's tactics and what makes him suddenly so effective? Great quotes from Zverev after their final. “Daniil is somebody that plays a way that we have never seen before ..He plays very flat. He plays with shots that you can't really do anything with the ball, I feel like, and that is difficult to play against him in an aggressive way. “Sometimes that's maybe why it looks on TV or from the outside that players are not playing as aggressive against him as against others, but I feel like he doesn't let you.”

Reminds me a bit of when Giles Simon tortured Djokovic at Aussie for hours before losing. Great defense, yes, but also putting Novak in positions where he had to be the aggressor but didn't have a high percentage shot to be aggressive with. Similarly, yes Medvedev has a rock-solid backhand, great movement ( at 6 ft 6 in ! ) but there's something in his shot selection, placement ....

Help me get my head around him game.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Originally posted by stotty View Post
    I didn't see the final but had a strong feeling Medvedev would win. He is more wily and has more nous than the rest of the Next Gen bunch. He's just that bit better. Making yourself awkward and difficult to play against is a great quality to have. Medvedev has that quality in spades.
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      jimlosaltos made this comment in one of the "Sticky" threads called "Have a question for me". I saw the comments from Zverev and he is not a guy that one goes to for an interesting quote but what he said did raise a couple of eyebrows. Namely those of jimlosaltos and my own.

I have given Medvedev the nickname "Mr. Pencil" as he is built like a pencil with an eraser for a head. But Medvedev appears to be sort of a Djokovic 101 version and he plays with the same sort of uncanny balance of impeccable defence and the constant threat of aggressive offence.

But he isn't all that complicated as Alexander Zverev makes him out to be. Alexander sounds like he is describing the enigmatic Miloslav Mecir. Now there was a guy that players had a tough time getting their heads around. Much as Alexander has described Mecir...I mean Medvedev.

He's certainly a tough opponent. No real visible weakness. He makes it up seemingly too. Unafraid to try different approaches. In the final of the U. S. Open he suddenly started to serve and volley and attack the net. Down in Australia he was serving to Novak Djokovic in the deuce court while standing nearly in the doubles alley. He's clever. He's Mr. Pencil.

I think he plays like no one Zverev has ever seen before. But those of us who remember the 70's with a moonballer, Mr. Nasty, the twin crazed Americans, the ice man, and the left hander who had biceps like Popeye and whom we would always imitate when we hit backhand overheads, knows that there was so much variety in the game.

Medvedev is making me question my height rule. Basically, GS champions are mostly between 6' and 6' 4" in the modern era. Ideally, they are 6'1".
      Mr. Pencil plays like someone who is smaller in stature. He is actually willing to come to the net and do whatever it takes to win. The next gen thinks that playing like a robot will get you to the next level. The problem is that playing like a robot works until it doesn't. At some point you have to try a plan B.

Today I was watching Souza and Ymer play. Souza came to the net twice and then stopped. There is no plan B. The A game can take you a long ways but eventually there has to be a plan B.

Medvedev has a whole alphabet of plans. He is an all-court player.

There is only one true all-court player left at the top the game. Medvedev may be the heir apparent. And it is because he can play the whole court. Not just sit back and bash balls all day and never come in.

Who knew that a pencil could be this versatile?

Comment

Interesting loss to Jeremy Chardy last night. I watched a bit of it and it didn't look as if Medvedev was quite as engaged as he has been in his "meteoric" run to this point. Nothing to be alarmed about but this is a player that he should beat on paper. What a run he has made to the number four in the world! But now the expectations are weighing in and it will be interesting to see how he copes with it.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

It sure will be. I love Medvedev's demeanor out there competing and I love his movement and backhand. I am not a fan of his forehand technique. The forehand is such an important shot in men's tennis and his Florian Mayer style gives me pause there.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8248 users online. 4 members and 8244 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X