Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zen and the Art of Archery...or Golf...or Tennis. LIFE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zen and the Art of Archery...or Golf...or Tennis. LIFE!!!

"Tennis is Golf on the Run"...don_budge

"The earth is a ball. A ball in the game. The object of the game is to learn the rules."-author unknown.

don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

I've read Zen in the Art of Archery, and lived in Japan for 4 years during which time I studied calligraphy. I definitely have not reached enlightenment. It would be extremely cool if we could ask Pete Sampras if he reached enlightenment though serving. It should not be impossible to do so, although I doubt it has been achieved. However, even some of the approaches and attitudes of Zen teaching are surely beneficial to the Art of the Serve! I for one, try to calm my breathing before each purposeless and selfless serve!

Comment

Count Yogi...Zen Golf and the Greatest, Simplest Golf Lesson Ever

"The serve is nothing but an upside down golf swing"...don_budge

"At 48.00 in the video...tall and loose. Boneless...muscleless."-Count Yogi

Truly a remarkable little video. This is in the estimation of some the GOAT of golf. Count Yogi. Watch him undergo transformation in this video. It is in a word...astounding!

"Now I'm really incognito...no one will ever know me. Hahaha!"-Count Yogi
      don_budge

Comment

The Most Interesting and Strange case of Count Yogi...the fellow in post #3

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
        I've read Zen in the Art of Archery, and lived in Japan for 4 years during which time I studied calligraphy. I definitely have not reached enlightenment. It would be extremely cool if we could ask Pete Sampras if he reached enlightenment though serving. It should not be impossible to do so, although I doubt it has been achieved. However, even some of the approaches and attitudes of Zen teaching are surely beneficial to the Art of the Serve! I for one, try to calm my breathing before each purposeless and selfless serve!
        Extremely interesting glacierguy. Enlightenment. White light. Inspiration. This is the higher ground we seek. It's all about performance. That rare occasion where we reach that level. Godly level. I've been there a few times. On the tennis court. The golf course. The basketball court. Does that add up to enlightenment? Flashes of insight. The pursuit of perfection. What a road. What a journey.

The discipline and courage to face failure repeatedly knowing in your heart that you have it in you. If only for a moment. To look God in the eyes...before you die. Four years of calligraphy put you somewhere...I'm curious where. Probably a long story. An interesting one. Thanks for sharing.

But it is possible. Reaching this enlightened level. If only for a moment for mere mortals. You may spend a lifetime looking for it and just get a glimpse. I guess that makes it worthwhile. Consider the case of the man I introduced in the post before. Count Yogi. Just watch this everyone. One of the most amazing videos that I have ever seen. The most amazing. This swing of the Count's is not just repeatable. It is the gold standard. He can hit a golf ball with anything...including the kitchen sink...and make it go long and straight.

Everyone...please watch.

don_budge

Comment

Sorry don_budge, I've given the wrong impression - I studied calligraphy as a hobby whilst doing other work stuff, not as a full-time ascetic kneeling at the feet of a master. There were passages in Zen in the Art of Archery which mention calligraphy though, and I particularly remember grinding the ink before each attempt, which as well as producing ink (!) clears the mind and aids focus.

Comment

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
            Sorry don_budge, I've given the wrong impression - I studied calligraphy as a hobby whilst doing other work stuff, not as a full-time ascetic kneeling at the feet of a master. There were passages in Zen in the Art of Archery which mention calligraphy though, and I particularly remember grinding the ink before each attempt, which as well as producing ink (!) clears the mind and aids focus.
            Not at all glacierguy. I never get the wrong impression. I know anything is possible and all points in between. Still I would bet a bunch on one thing...there is a story in this. The curves...the ins and outs of the art form. Grinding that ink. Preparation...the mantra of a tennis player.

The preparation of an artist. It's largely mental. A state of being. So no matter if you became the master or the slave...I mean the student. It all adds up to something. I guess that you are not a golfer glacierguy. But I highly recommend it. Who is it that said that tennis is golf on the run? Three guesses. But it is another realm. Tennis one. Caligraphy is too. It's a long list. But golf and tennis are God's gift to mankind in terms of recreation. Who says so? don_budge does.

Here's a fascinating video. The serve is an upside down golf swing. Figure eights...invented by Don Brousseau. I doubt it. I used them to perfect my very own serve...back before there was electricity. At least before cell phones. But lo and behold...here is a golf swing made simple just for you. And me. Once again it is the figure eight. Just like don_budge invented. In his universe. Take a look. This is beyond white light. On a par with the caligraphy master. The universe opens when you perceive the simplest of things.

It's the Zen within. It's in everyone. But who has access to the collective consciousness? The one that seeks it...that's who. The JUJU swing. The guy named it after his daughter. Btw...he didn't invent it. He invented it for himself...which is the same thing.

Live to play another day...that is the object of the game. The game of Life. ...Zen Master (don_budge)

Ah shit...there is more than one way to skin a cat.
            don_budge

Comment

Zen Tennis and Golf. The Perpetual Motion Swing.

"Simple game...nothing to it".

"Tall and loose. Boneless...muscleless".

don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9556 users online. 7 members and 9549 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X