A New Teaching System: One Handed Backhand: Preparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Teaching System: One Handed Backhand: Preparation

Would love to get your thoughts on my latest article, "A New Teaching System: One Handed Backhand: Preparation"

Hello John,

Do you believe that practicing a two handed backhand might improve a person's one handed backhand? I know that Don Budge and Pete Sampras both hit two handed backhands as youngsters before they developed their one handed backhands. Is it possible that a two handed backhand might make the unit turn more efficient?

Norman Ashbrooke

Comment

As John McEnroe likes to say, anything is possible, but I think it's unlikely. Didn't know about Budge, but in the case of Sampras the elbow lead that got worse on his one-hander as time went on may have been a remnant of the two-hander. The biggest dissimilarity though is the rotational pattern of the torso.

Comment

As a youngster, Budge played baseball before he took up tennis. He would bat left handed as a kid, however he played tennis right handed and used his baseball swing for his two handed backhand. He of course changed to a one hander, however he always maintained that his baseball swing was the foundation for his backhand. I had the pleasure of playing doubles with Budge in the early 70's. His backhand was truly legendary.

Norman Ashbrooke

Comment

Masterfully explained, John. Just loved this video article on the backhand prep. Excellent clips, too.
          I am enjoying re-watching the clips for my own visual training. Thank you!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7888 users online. 10 members and 7878 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X