Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding Strings

Let's get your thoughts on A.J. Chabria's article, "Understanding Strings"

This is definitely an article right up Geoff Williams' street. We need his input here.

I use a co-poly with a soft feel across my entire frame. I have it strung at 52lbs. It's perfect for me. I only break a string about twice a year because the stuff is so durable, plus I don't use much spin. I have never experimented with hybrids but fancy giving them a go having read the article.

When I used a wooden racket back in the day, I had it strung in natural gut. I used to love the smell of natural gut in the morning...smelt like...victory.
    Stotty

Comment

Hello,
      For decades I used the most expensive natural gut and loved it. However, today I use Solenco Tourbite. I string my rackets at 40 lbs, and I believe it plays better than the gut strings. I have no financial connection with Solenco. I never thought it was possible for a synthetic string to surpass the best natural gut. Is my experience typical?

Sincerely,

Norman Ashbrooke

Comment

Originally posted by ten1050 View Post
        Hello,
        For decades I used the most expensive natural gut and loved it. However, today I use Solenco Tourbite. I string my rackets at 40 lbs, and I believe it plays better than the gut strings. I have no financial connection with Solenco. I never thought it was possible for a synthetic string to surpass the best natural gut. Is my experience typical?

Sincerely,

Norman Ashbrooke
        Dear Norman,

Excellent choice. I like Solinco Tour Bite, too. Like most quality co-polyester strings, it provides lots of spin and control.
        You’re probably also feeling good power and a lively feel because you were smart enough to string it on the low side. That is probably not typical.

Comment

I’ve been using VS touch mains and ALU rough crosses pretty religiously for the last ~8 years. I completely admit that I tried it because Fed uses it, but I stuck with it because of the amazing feel and performance. Every few months I try out a new setup: a new poly cross, a full bed of poly, or something marketed as revolutionary like Monogut ZX pro, and every time the new setup falls short of VS/ALU gold standard.

A.J., are there any new developments in string that you think players ought to try out as an alternative to poly, both full bed and hybrid?

Comment

Originally posted by rthodges View Post
            I’ve been using VS touch mains and ALU rough crosses pretty religiously for the last ~8 years. I completely admit that I tried it because Fed uses it, but I stuck with it because of the amazing feel and performance. Every few months I try out a new setup: a new poly cross, a full bed of poly, or something marketed as revolutionary like Monogut ZX pro, and every time the new setup falls short of VS/ALU gold standard.

A.J., are there any new developments in string that you think players ought to try out as an alternative to poly, both full bed and hybrid?
            RT,
            Not much will impress you if you use gut mains and a poly cross. You’re using what I consider the best of the best....especially if you love it.

Some players do prefer the slickest polys at low tensions, or newly developed alternatives like Monogut or the new breed of super-multis or nylon monofilaments (I understand Diadem, Tecnifibre, and Babolat are doing well with these).

If you want to try some new elements to your set-up, here are some variations I enjoy:

a slicker, less powerful natural gut, like Volkl Icon;
            a smoother, harder poly like Head Hawk Touch;
            a thicker gut main and a thinner cross;
            a softer co-poly (all brands have one or two of these).

Enjoy the process!

Comment

Originally posted by ajchabria View Post

Dear Norman,

Excellent choice. I like Solinco Tour Bite, too. Like most quality co-polyester strings, it provides lots of spin and control.
              You’re probably also feeling good power and a lively feel because you were smart enough to string it on the low side. That is probably not typical.
              What do you recommend? Solinco Tour Bite or Solinco Tour Bite (soft)? I currently use Isospeed Pulse 1:30mm.

Anyone else like to chime in? I am looking for elasticity and softness. I am willing to experiment.
              Stotty

Comment

I use Technifibre Black Code 4S, strung at 41 lbs. Very happy with the feel, spin and durability.

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
                  I use Technifibre Black Code 4S, strung at 41 lbs. Very happy with the feel, spin and durability.
                  I tried it in my racket over the Christmas holidays. It's really nice. I strung it at 57Ibs but found it a little stiff so my second rackets at 52Ibs, which seemed ridiculously low...but it plays really well. It's amazing how strings have developed in terms of power and feel.
                  Last edited by stotty; 01-03-2020, 01:54 PM.
                  Stotty

Comment

Signum makes a few softer polys, which feel elastic. One is called Plasma. Ytex is marketing a few nice soft polys as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ajchabria View Post

RT,
                      Not much will impress you if you use gut mains and a poly cross. You’re using what I consider the best of the best....especially if you love it.

Some players do prefer the slickest polys at low tensions, or newly developed alternatives like Monogut or the new breed of super-multis or nylon monofilaments (I understand Diadem, Tecnifibre, and Babolat are doing well with these).

If you want to try some new elements to your set-up, here are some variations I enjoy:

a slicker, less powerful natural gut, like Volkl Icon;
                      a smoother, harder poly like Head Hawk Touch;
                      a thicker gut main and a thinner cross;
                      a softer co-poly (all brands have one or two of these).

Enjoy the process!
                      Thanks! I haven’t been having too many chances to play with the quarantine but my last few outings on the home court I’ve been using Luxilon Element as a cross with VS touch mains in place of ALU Rough. So far I’ve found it to be more comfortable than ALU with no discernible differences in performance.

Comment

update:
                        I just tried a full stringbed of Luxilon Smart at 20 kilos/44 pounds. Very smooth. Huge spin. Good touch. Not as powerful as gut mains / poly crosses, but I loved it.

Comment

It’s been quite a while since the last post here but I have been experimenting with a combo that some might find interesting or could comment on. I use a pre-stretched Ashaway Monogut ZX 16 main with RPM Blast cross, both at 55 Lb. this mimics a pure gut/poly combo and has lasted well over 6 mo and still very playable. I am a senior 3.5 5x/wk doubles player. I also have the same frame strung in reverse with poly mains but I think the Monogut mains feel a little better to me. Any comments or thoughts ?

Comment

The Ashaway Monogut ZX is a very unique string made of Zyex. It’s not a poly and is stretchy like gut but much lest cost. Would love to hear from others experience with this string in full beds, hybrid combos, & various tensions.

Comment

Just for your reference Zyex is a advanced polymer (PEEK) fiber that has special properties that are useful in high tech composites but 'stretchy' is not one of them.
                              It is more like the aramids, Kevlar and Twaron as in Forten. Very strong and durable, low creep fiber.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7989 users online. 5 members and 7984 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X