Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This professor - University of Western Australia studied pronation. Doesnt do much.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
    That is some workout - great to hear. I'm looking forward to the golf season for the first time ever, just to hear how you do. Sorry for confusion - my sister is a retired veterinarian. That background gives her a good insight into physiology, plus she's still competing in duathlons for GB (in her age group). Compared to her training routine, I am a lightweight, but I have seen the commitment that's necessary, and it does encourage me to try harder.

Agree 100% about time constraints for average Joe. I know I'm lucky to be retired and healthy. I feel bad for some of the guys I know working all hours to get by. The tennis coaches I know are on court for hours at a time, picking up injuries, and not able to work on their own games. They would love to stroll down to the courts and hit serves...
    The workout is:

Sunday...Strength and core stability. Plus everyday exercise.
    Monday...Core stability plus everyday exercise.
    Tuesday...Strength and row machine sprints. Plus everyday exercise.
    Wednesday...Rest plus everyday exercise.
    Thursday...Core stability plus everyday exercise.
    Friday...Strength and row machine sprints. Plus everyday exercise.
    Saturday...Rest plus everyday exercise.

Everyday exercise is cleaning stables, walking two 35-40 lb. dogs three miles twice a day. Phase II Core Stability was bumped up from 5 exercises of three sets for 40 seconds with 40 seconds of rest in between sets to 5 exercises of three sets for 40 seconds with 20 seconds of rest in between sets. The strength program was stepped up a couple of levels. At least to me. It's amazing though that I seem to be adapting to the extra work load already. At first it was intimidating but after accomplishing it a couple of times, I'm like...I got this.

This is a full time occupation now with the work, rest and recovery. Measuring my steps. But this is where the personal trainer came in. Our first session was an interview where we discussed my goals and what kind of work I was willing to invest in it. Then a series of tests. For the average Joe...the guy who is on the court every day it would not be possible. But on the other hand it would make all of the sense in the world to see the personal trainer and get a program tailored to their needs. I have never ever been a gym type person. The club that I belonged to in Dearborn, Michigan (The Fairlane Club) was one of the best clubs in the Midwest. We had outdoor (har-tru) and indoor tennis. Olympic size out door swimming and a smaller indoor pool. A bowling alley. A bar and grill and also a formal dining restaurant. Truly a blessing to have such a facility. The gym was state of the art and had everything but I never ever used it.

It's funny how life goes. I never had any interest in training and now I am revolving my existence around it. I recommend it for anyone. See the personal trainer first. They can make it happen for anyone. They tailor the program to the person. This young lady has really impressed me with her ability to listen to what I tell her and then her instructions. As a good student I do everything she tells me to do. I don't miss a day. I don't miss an exercise. I'm focused BABY!!!
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by Error View Post

I agree %100 percent!! I think it was mostly the youtube decade where "coaches" or anyone with a racket and a camera decided to call himself an expert by taking something like a forehand motion and slice and cut it up into a million different bits and pieces and then name each bit and piece and sold it all to recreational level players who think that is how you learn to play tennis.

Everything you see happening with an advanced players is the result of fundamental practice, ie practicing fundamentals, not practicing pronation or ISR or racket lag etc. Those things are the RESULT of practice not the things you practice. I had the misfortune of watching a private lesson on the forehand from one of the biggest "coaches" on youtube and it was the most horrific thing I've ever seen. It was worse than I ever imagined a lesson on the forehand could be. I'm sure the poor women left more confused than when she walked in.
      We can also blame the players. Most people went to school and at school you are told about things. As adults we can learn a fact very quickly and keep it around forever. So someone wants the answer to how I hit a better forehand. They watch a video and then they learn what it is they have to do.

The problem is in learning how to do it. And the how takes starting small, spreading practice out over time with lots of repetition and eventually with variation.

There is no way to learn that in a five minute video.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

I believe that the practice is a story in itself.
        Scientists found that there is a correlation between practice and improving at ANYTHING! Go figure. Sampras said practice looks a lot like talent to some people.

Best of luck with the young lady...I still would like to see the video of her serve.
        Well here's the thing, when people on tennis forums critique the serves of ATP and WTA players telling us what they are doing wrong, what chance does my daughter have, lol? She was serving well a few months ago when I took that video but shes' developed an even higher level serve now. I never video her. I have just a few clips of her.. maybe I'll throw something up.
        Last edited by Error; 01-05-2020, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
          It comes down to the individual largely but getting around the idea of hard work is just impossible. "Talent" will take you just so far and often it is the case of one guy outworking the rest.

Fundamental is such a key word in the tennis teacher's lexicon. My coach stressed fundamentals. I have coined a phrase...Fundamentally Correct (FC). It is the acid test for a reliable tennis stroke or golf swing. Big or small.
          Originally posted by Error View Post
          Sampras said practice looks a lot like talent to some people.
          That is a mouthful coming from Pete Sampras. Thanks for that!
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I like Stanley Plagenhoef's descriptions in his classic "Fundamentals of tennis". He applied his knowledge of anatomy and kinesiology to tennis. Perhaps the first to study slow motion videos of tennis. He writes how it is necessary to have a relaxed motion on the serve, and, for example, "Any change in racket head position after impact is due to joint adjustments to retain a position of non stress. The turn of the racket face outward is the result of the anatomical structure of the shoulder. As the arm is raised to an overhead position, the body tries to retain a position of strength without iundue muscular stretching, so the upper arm remains in alignment with the shoulders. The shoulder is in a neutral position, with the palm of the had toward the body when the arm is hanging down; with the palm forward when the arm is raised overhead; and with the palm downward when the arm is pointing backward. Shoulder and upper arm alignment are, therefore, very influential on racket face positions."
            Just do the serve motion totally relaxed and see how naturally, without muscle power, this movement is.

Comment

That's pretty good. I believe that the fully rotated position is also a function of max racket speed.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 4568 users online. 5 members and 4563 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X