Best Point of 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Point of 2019

I loved this point because so much was riding on it. Novak had been a little subdued. The crowd were so against him and so for Roger. It was one match where Novak was getting tired of the massively partisan crowd.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B43Eo-6h...eo_watch_again

But then came along a breakpoint. Roger had served so brilliantly but you knew Novak was going to get a chance somewhere...somehow. And it came. The match might have swivelled on its head right but here had Novak grabbed this point and gathered some momentum and motivation from somewhere.

Roger is 6-4 up but 1-2 down with breakpoint against him serving at 30-40. He puts in a good, deep serve but Novak returns it deep down the middle (who many times have we seen him do that before). We are now right in Novak territory here; neutralising the serve and trying to achieve neutral status in the rally. Roger knows the deal and peels away (how many times have we seen that before) to belt a forehand deep to Novak's backhand. The last thing Roger wants is for Novak to gain a foothold in this particular rally. Novak, struggling slightly, nevertheless gets his backhand very deep, and it looks for all the world that this point might now swing in Novak's favour. But Roger decides to risk it. Despite the fact he is backing up behind the baseline when hitting this shot, he unleashes an incredible forehand to catch Novak by surprise and set up an easy put-away. That forehand was incredible in so many ways, but perhaps most incredible is he can still finds ways to take Novak by surprise after playing him nearly 50 times.

Novak capitulated after that. Both to the crowd and Roger. But he might not have done had he won that breakpoint. Fine margins indeed.
    Stotty

After letting Wimbledon slip away...this match may have been one of the many high points of the year for Roger Federer. If the courts had been a bit quicker and he had played the bigger racquet the entire time the numbers might be rather drastically different. A slightly quicker court changes everything in this matchup. Amazing.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      After letting Wimbledon slip away...this match may have been one of the many high points of the year for Roger Federer. If the courts had been a bit quicker and he had played the bigger racquet the entire time the numbers might be rather drastically different. A slightly quicker court changes everything in this matchup. Amazing.
      Classic Federer point. Interesting that he reverses the forehand. I don't remember him doing that in his younger years. I really hope that they find a way to create one major with faster courts. I miss the days of attacking tennis and hope that the ATP and WTA find a way to create some segment of faster tennis in which the net is brought back into play for singles. They could speed the grass up a bit at Wimbledon.

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

Classic Federer point. Interesting that he reverses the forehand. I don't remember him doing that in his younger years. I really hope that they find a way to create one major with faster courts. I miss the days of attacking tennis and hope that the ATP and WTA find a way to create some segment of faster tennis in which the net is brought back into play for singles. They could speed the grass up a bit at Wimbledon.
        The court doesn't need to be any faster than it was for that match. It was a quick court. The trouble with those acrylic courts is they lack soul, they kill artistry. I've never liked them, but unfortunately the represent 75% of the tour matches.

I still love that point. He had to win it and knew exactly what he had to do to shut the door on Novak. I just love that inside-in forehand.
        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

The court doesn't need to be any faster than it was for that match. It was a quick court. The trouble with those acrylic courts is they lack soul, they kill artistry. I've never liked them, but unfortunately the represent 75% of the tour matches.

I still love that point. He had to win it and knew exactly what he had to do to shut the door on Novak. I just love that inside-in forehand.
          No soul. I never thought about it that way. When I play on clay I often feel that tennis is very different. You have to adjust to balls and feel becomes much more important.

Do clay courts have soul?

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

Do clay courts have soul?
            They do...as do grass courts. They are tennis' original surfaces. They allow for artistry. I would turn the Australian Open and the US Open into carparks.

Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2864 users online. 4 members and 2860 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X