2020 ATP Cup...ATP 750...Brisbane/Perth/Sydney, Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 ATP Cup...ATP 750...Brisbane/Perth/Sydney, Australia

Results archive from tournaments in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

A post New Year extravaganza courtesy of the ATP. I wonder how this inaugural event will come off. The first thing that I noticed in the "Daily Schedule" is Andy Murray's name in the draw versus Grigor Dimitrov. Excellent match up. I find myself pulling for Andy to make it back to peak form. In hindsight he will always remain a bit of a pain in the ass but he has been sorely missed on the tour. Should he make it back all the way he is another variable in the equation.

But as it looks in this changing of the decade there is also a changing of the guard going down. Novak Djokovic remains invincible at times but he is not capable of sustaining his peak form year round. It is just too demanding. Rafael Nadal looks to be more and more vulnerable and particularly on any surface quicker than clay. I watched Stefanos Tsitsipas put a serious challenge to him in some exhibition event in the Middle East somewhere. Interesting that even though it was only an exhibition, Nadal was down a set but just couldn't bear to lose to a guy who compared his talent to "making his opponent play poorly".

Roger Federer is still the top draw. Or at least he was. He has to be on a tourney to tourney basis as he is even less capable of sustaining peak form over any extended period of time. He has to pick and choose very carefully. The old maestro measuring his steps and calculating his chances. Such a smart and savvy veteran. A beautiful player who is going to be sorely missed.

So the "Big Four" enter the new decade with a lot of question marks besides their names. A lot of Grand Slam trophies in their homes. But there is the new blood coming on slowly but surely. None of them have demonstrated any kind of ability to sustain peak performance for more than two tournaments in a row and there inability to break through in the Grand Slams is an obvious slam against all of them. But time has become the most important variable in the equation now. It is only a matter of time.

The ATP Cup. It is sort of appropriate to enter the new decade of 20/20 with an inaugural event. There is going to be another rather large event happening towards the end of the year. That one will have even larger ramifications.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

I am not sure it will ever seem like the 3 great ones have lost their unprecedented dominance until Nadal does not win 2 FO's in a row.

Comment

I still believe the Big 3 will sweep the grand slams this year. My Outsiders to break through and win a GS would be Medvedev or Thiem. Tsitsipas is on the cusp but not sure he can sustain 7 best of 5 setters....yet.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Medvedev still doing what he does out there, just tirelessly playing every point, eventually wearing down shotmaker Fognini.

Comment

Struff vs Nick was a great example of the unbelievably small margins in men's tennis. Nick won 6-4, 7-6. Nick won 2 more total points in the match, and had the 1 and only break point of the match, which he converted. Stuff is a big powerful guy. I noticed when he was standing next to Alex at the opening ceremonies he appeared slightly taller than Alex even though Alex is listed at an inch taller. Nick, what can we say. To me the most talented player since Fed.
          Last edited by stroke; 01-03-2020, 07:18 AM.

Comment

The more I think about Nick, he reminds me of Henri LeConte. They were both unbelievably talented with not much results to show for it, at the very least massive underachievers. Every shot in the book. The main difference is the why. Henri never got into anywhere close to peak physical condition and he probably had a lack of overall belief vs the top players. Nick, it is just some kind of mental instability that seems to be his only roadblock.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
              The more I think about Nick, he reminds me of Henri LeConte. They were both unbelievably talented with not much results to show for it, at the very least massive underachievers. Every shot in the book. The main difference is the why. Henri never got into anywhere close to peak physical condition and he probably had a lack of overall belief vs the top players. Nick, it is just some kind of mental instability that seems to be his only roadblock.
              The unpredictable nature of Nick Kyrgios and his huge talent with his game make him a very curious tennis player indeed. Curious George. Not sure where the George came from. But here is another match of interest and one that I most certainly will be unable to see. Stefanos Tsitsipas and Alexander Zverev. These two don't like each other and I for one like that. Why should they like each other? What better place to detest a person than on the tennis court? The court is a stage where the drama is played out. Good guys and bad guys. Bring them all and let them sort it out. Get rid of Hawkeye and the umpires for that matter. Let's see them call their own lines. Now we'll see who's who.

Alex De Minaur just won't go away. I don't care for his style of play. Perhaps because I found it as a player the most difficult nut to crack. He and Nick make a very curious team...and a good one. I haven't been able to watch much yet because of the time difference here in Sweden. What is the International Dateline about? When you are down under...you are out there.
              don_budge

Comment

The Demon's game is definitely not easy on the eye, but he is a David Ferrer type fighter out there. And I don't think any player on the tour covers the court any better than him.

Comment

The beatdown Tsitsipas put on Alex one feels will leave a mark. Stefanos obviously really coming on with his watchable game. The only young player with more game is Nick to me. Nick's serve is just so much better than all the other up and comers. Todd Woodbridge, doing commentary on the match, did a really good job of explaining the technical service issues of Stefanos and particularly Alex.
                  Last edited by stroke; 01-05-2020, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                    The beatdown Tsitsipas put on Alex one feels will leave a mark. Stefanos obviously really coming on with his watchable game. The only young player with more game is Nick to me. Nick's serve is just so much better than all the other up and comers.
                    6-1, 6-4 to the Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas. That has to smart and it is going to leave a welt. That's five in a row for Tsitsipas and it appears that Zverev is still in a downward spiral. I wonder if he will ever return to the kind of form that propelled him to the top five...courtesy of a number of injuries on tour.

I think Stefanos took one step backwards last year to go two steps forward. He played a heavy schedule of doubles and I suspect that he has put in his share of gym time. He looks to be beefed up. Rather buff. A good decision. Rather than resting on his laurels he doubles down and puts his nose to the grindstone.

Interesting comparison with Mr. Bad Boy...Nick Kyrgios. Hard to get a handle on Nick as he is so inconsistent. Nick is currently ranked a rather dismal #30 compared to his potential. Stefanos is at #6 and Alexander has drifted down to #7. Interesting format this ATP Cup with the doubles point being the decider. An excellent format for the players to get some much needed matches after the holiday layoff. Still not sure how the big picture works but I suspect I will by the end of the tournament. Also a great venue for the spectator or even the follower on television of computer. Shame that Switzerland didn't field a team but I suppose Stan Wawrinka and Roger Federer are biding their time for the Australian Open. Measuring their steps. Saving their energy.
                    don_budge

Comment

Stefanos looks like the real deal. He has the game and the focus, almost Fed like attitude, which is the gold standard. The only thing I keep thinking is though I doubt he will ever approach the accomplishments of the 3 great ones, but who knows. If anyone out there can start winning multiple Grand Slams AND Masters 1000's, he would be the pick. I think he is actually a better choice to take out Nadal at the FO than Thiem.

Comment

A real treat coming up ATP Cup Nick vs Stefanos. I do not know if Stefanos returns well enough to hang in vs Nick's serve. We will see. Oddmakers have Stefanos as slight favorite surely based on his always competes way.

Comment

Nick wins 1st set in tiebreaker. That outcome looked to be coming during the entire 1st set if it went to tiebreaker. Stef got hardly any returns back in play during entire 1st set. A bit of Tsitsipas family drama: at the completion of 1st set tiebreaker, Stef smashed his racquet and in doing so struck his Dad on the arm. His dad at that point left the coaching seat next to Stef and then Stef's mother came down and had words with Stef.
                          Last edited by stroke; 01-07-2020, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Todd Woodbridge, doing commentary on the match, said Nick's serve is easily one of the best 3 in tennis. He likened in most to Fed in his ability to hit all areas of the box with great spin. Nick can certainly do that, along with big power aces.

Comment

Stef wins 2nd set tiebreaker. Very impressive, as Nick had all the momentum and was in showboat too cool for school mode and seemingly in complete control of match and just looking like the better player in the match.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8030 users online. 8 members and 8022 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X