Forehand Slice for 4.0 - 5.0 level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forehand Slice for 4.0 - 5.0 level

Age and physical limitations make my positioning for top spin groundstrokes problematic, especially if the ball is contacted on the periphery of the strike zone. The one handed “knife” backhand slice seems to be easier for me to position and takes less effort and is easier on the joints. It is effective if I get the ball to skid and stay low. This stroke is usually done with a neutral stance. Does anyone have footage or words of wisdom concerning grip and contact point to duplicate this one- handed slice on the forehand side? I think it will probably require a neutral rather than open stance to get the proper skid.

i don't have any technique tips to give (beyond using conti grip, and hit alot of balls), but i've been working on this shot quite a bit since oct2019
    it started with practicing the over the shoulder overhead (running down a lob)
    then became developing a desperation "squash shot"
    as i got better feel, i started using the fh slice as an approach shot (especially when someone hits a sliced short ball to my fh)
    then finally i started using the fh slice as change of pace (usually i prefer bashing my fh), but hitting deep slice approach on the fh has been effective (tends to go deep, and keeps the ball low, etc...)... and also sets up the fh dropper better as there is no grip change...

it's still a work in progress... but i spent/spend quite a bit of time on the wall and hitting self fed drop feeds (on the run, over the shoulder, etc...). i spend more time getitng a feel of where my contact point is with the conti grip, in a variety of body positions and contact heights... (main why i "find" the contact points, is to hit thousands of balls from everywhere on the court, from every contact spot (high, low, middle, over shoulder, etc...), to everwhere on the opposite court.

90% of the time, if i have "good technique" (eg. semi open stance, and good balance so i can get my weight moving trhough contact) which presumes i have the time to setup, i'm gonna bash a topspin fh... but typically when i'm using the fh slice, it's when i'm pulled out wide, running down a lob, lunging for a short ball, etc...

[edit]
    also studying niculescu alot! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhXs-gJAhM

[edit2]
    contact point wise... it's gonna be further back (relative to your front hip) than a topspin fh
    a neutral stance or even closed stance is ideal IMO for consistency, helps prevent me from overrotating... as the slice fh drive, to me is a more linear shot...
    that said, the slice fh, can easily become a chop, lob, drive, drop, etc... and it's versatile, in that you can hit it in many contact points relative to your body, depending on how late/early you are.
    Last edited by nytennisaddict; 01-10-2020, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I totally agree and if I can get that shot to skid and be offensive enough to get my opponent on his heels, then my dropshot off of that same motion doesn’t have to be quite so accurate. I am experimenting with a slight eastern forehand grip and to see if that allows a more aggressive slice without the ball rising so much.
      Since you have that squash shot capability, I have another shot for you that works for 4.0 to 5.0. “ The Sky Lob”.—— use this shot If you are pulled completely wide for a ball and you don’t really have much of a shot. Hit a Sky Lob with a continental squash slice( prior radial deviation of wrist) or a flat Sky Lob (prior hyperflexion of the wrist). Hit it as high as the wind and accuracy allow. This will buy you recovery time back to home base and will often aggravate 4.0 to 5.0 players who try to over hit that high bouncing ball from their baseline, especially on clay.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
        Thanks for the tips. I totally agree and if I can get that shot to skid and be offensive enough to get my opponent on his heels, then my dropshot off of that same motion doesn’t have to be quite so accurate. I am experimenting with a slight eastern forehand grip and to see if that allows a more aggressive slice without the ball rising so much.
        Since you have that squash shot capability, I have another shot for you that works for 4.0 to 5.0. “ The Sky Lob”.—— use this shot If you are pulled completely wide for a ball and you don’t really have much of a shot. Hit a Sky Lob with a continental squash slice( prior radial deviation of wrist) or a flat Sky Lob (prior hyperflexion of the wrist). Hit it as high as the wind and accuracy allow. This will buy you recovery time back to home base and will often aggravate 4.0 to 5.0 players who try to over hit that high bouncing ball from their baseline, especially on clay.
        i've experimented with the sky high lob... but i have more control/consistency with chopping/squash-shotting it back... that said, i do enjoy hitting the sky lob

Comment

That continental grip squash feeling can also be used to hit shallow forehand overhead cross court “ cut” shots. You can also do the same with backhand overhead crosscourt angle shots. I learned to do them from tournament badminton. With practice, they are very effective overheads when you are off balance a little and your opponent is playing deep behind the baseline.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8537 users online. 10 members and 8527 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X