2020 Australian Open...ATP 2000...Melbourne, Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by klacr View Post
    Well, Muguruza is into the finals. Rather interesting if I do say so myself. Why did I pick her nearly two weeks ago? Is there something I knew beforehand? Was it just dumb luck? Not saying I'm Nostradamus but I'm certainly not a dummy. Glad to see Garbine do well. Marginal adjustments, big gains right!?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    So klacr aka NostraCroix...what gives with the Muguruza? Have you had some input into that situation? She really struggled with the serve in the finals.

don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
      I forgot it was even on. I totally believe uninspiring. I will be up for Thiem vs Novak. I think Thiem is ready to extend him. We will see.
      You bet he is ready to extending him. Thiem has beaten Djokovic four of the last five meetings.

Head to head records for players in men's professional tennis. View rivalry results and stats for matches on the ATP Tour.

don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        The Ugly American...my best friend called from Hawaii this morning. He was watching the "Ladies" final and alerted me to as much. So we were watching it from opposite sides of the globe together catching up on life. He has had a recent bout of Bell's Palsy...a particularly nasty malady. Interesting to hear him deal with it. Here's a guy who absolutely prides himself on communication and leadership and when he first had it he sounded "mentally retarded". Ironically it was him who called me "Retardo" in front of a very nice Parisian couple that I was having the most interesting conversation with at a little sidewalk cafe. My poor friend. But he manages. That is what he does. I have never known such a character as my friend. Living large.

But the final was pretty bad tennis. Gabriella Muguruza double faulted so many times. Three times to almost hand the crown over to the American...who's name I do not know. Yeah...if you think I am critical you should get a load of "the Ugly American". He makes me look like a shrinking violet. But the tennis was pretty bad. Not good. Totally uninspiring.
        The average fan is so unbelievably unaware of what is going on in professional tennis. I am somewhat active as an intermediate recreational tennis player so inevitably the subject comes up some as a lot of fellow players are fans too. A woman intermediate player I know once said in all seriousness she would have liked to see Serena in her prime play Roger. She thought Serena would win. I always just stay out of these discussions.

Comment

Thiem is +340, Novak is -400.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
            The Ugly American...my best friend called from Hawaii this morning. He was watching the "Ladies" final and alerted me to as much. So we were watching it from opposite sides of the globe together catching up on life. He has had a recent bout of Bell's Palsy...a particularly nasty malady. Interesting to hear him deal with it. Here's a guy who absolutely prides himself on communication and leadership and when he first had it he sounded "mentally retarded". Ironically it was him who called me "Retardo" in front of a very nice Parisian couple that I was having the most interesting conversation with at a little sidewalk cafe. My poor friend. But he manages. That is what he does. I have never known such a character as my friend. Living large.

But the final was pretty bad tennis. Gabriella Muguruza double faulted so many times. Three times to almost hand the crown over to the American...who's name I do not know. Yeah...if you think I am critical you should get a load of "the Ugly American". He makes me look like a shrinking violet. But the tennis was pretty bad. Not good. Totally uninspiring.
            Every time I see the pinpoint I cringe on tight points. It is so easy to lose the rhythm. Muguruza is also too tall. Just not mobile enough at 6 feet tall. She was easy meat for Kenin who could move her around at will. Halep would have been a better opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
              Thiem is +340, Novak is -400.
              Should be a good one! Can Thiem bring out his inner Stan? That is the question.

If Thiem brings out his Stan, then he has a fighting chance.

Djokovic has been cruising and his default is to put everything back in play under pressure.

Only Stan has been able to break him down. Will Thiem be the next one?

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

Should be a good one! Can Thiem bring out his inner Stan? That is the question.

If Thiem brings out his Stan, then he has a fighting chance.

Djokovic has been cruising and his default is to put everything back in play under pressure.

Only Stan has been able to break him down. Will Thiem be the next one?
                Good thoughts. Thiem has a similar what I would call power clay court game similar to Stan, as does Tsitsipas. What Thiem had over Tsitsipas is experience and a serve that is simply better. As good as Stan moves, he does not move as well as Thiem. Thiem is the best candidate right now to take Novak under these conditions, hard court, best of 5 sets.
                Last edited by stroke; 02-01-2020, 04:50 PM.

Comment

2020 Australian Open Finals...Dominic Thiem vs. Novak Djokovic

Does anybody here not understand that by winning four of the last five meetings that Dominic Thiem thinks he can win. That he thinks that he is supposed to win. That by defeating Rafael Nadal on the big stage in Melbourne he has arrived at a very, very elite status. Novak Djokovic isn't looming so large in his eyes that it takes his belief away. Thiem came back after the huge win against Nadal with a very credible win over a seemingly rejuvenated, not to mention, reinvented Alexander Zverev. Dominic comes to the court today feeling that this is his destiny. It's about damn time too.

We started to track Dominic's ascent here on the forum a number of years ago. Who was it that saw him first on the radar screen? I remember klacr and I kicking it around at one point. But here he is and he is ready.

Novak looked absolutely indestructible against Roger Federer the other day but if Roger was at ninety percent that is enough to enable Djokovic to dominate Roger like a wet blanket. Such are the margins...Federer had the slimmest of margins and that was revealed at 1-4, love-forty on Djokovic's serve in the first set. Roger blinked and it was over. Is Novak at the absolute zenith of his meteoric career? It is hard to tell but the measure of the tape is this. The key might just be this. Novak is 32 years old and Dominic is 26 years old. The key mitigating factor is miles...kilometers in both of their lexicons. The legs.

Thiem has looked more and more impressive. Stronger and stronger. He's hungry and he is putting in the work. It has been a long two weeks and this is the climax. Novak has coasted in a draw gifted from heaven. Quick draw Milos Raonic in the semis hardly even caused Novak to break a sweat. He went through Roger like a hot knife through butter. He is largely untried. But Dominic has just gotten stronger and stronger and his highest hurdle will be the nerves. Novak has been here...so many times. Dominic is still on the learning curve. This match another huge mark on his report card...looming.

So take your pick. It's even. They start at zero to zero. It will be Dominic's nerves against Novak's legs. Who will serve the best on the big points? The big points. There is the acid test.

I hope that the match goes the distance. I have a date in town. Priorities. Inspired by Roger Federer over the years. Hopefully something rubs off. After all...he is the Living Proof. I will pull for Dominic here. I'm an American at heart. Americans like the underdog.
                  don_budge

Comment

Novak wins the 1st set. I don't think there has ever been a shot in tennis that is more best ever than Novak's return of serve. Throw that in with his groundstrokes and movement and you have a most uncharacteristic double fault by Thiem giving the 1st set to Novak.

Comment

• Dominic wins the 2nd set 6-4. At 4 all Novak serving, he was called for 2 time violations that he of course did not take well. The 1st time violation particularly I was not a fan of as he was just beginning his motion as the clock hit zero. It is hard to say that it did not play a part in the set outcome. I am pulling for Thiem, but that was something.

Comment

• Thiem up 3-0 in in the 3rd. Novak has not won a game since the 4 all 2nd set time violations game.

Comment

• Thiem wins 3rd 6-2. Novak seems to have regrouped in 4th, Thiem serving at 2-3.

Comment

• Novak wins the 4th 6-3. 5th set coming, Novak still the favorite.

Comment

• Yup...yup...yup. It all comes down to the legs and nerves. Djokovic with the experience and Thiem with the younger legs. Classic.
                              don_budge

Comment

• Novak breaks to go up 2-1. Novak in lockdown mode now and playing closer to baseline than Thiem. To win his first major, all Thiem has to do is somehow outplay one of the all time greats.
                                Last edited by stroke; 02-02-2020, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9766 users online. 5 members and 9761 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X