Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum February 2020: Karolina Pliskova Forehand

Karolina Pliskova Forehand

In the last three months we've looked at the groundstrokes of Ash Barty, ranked number 1. Now let’s look at the player ranked number 2, Karolina Plishkova, starting this month with her forehand. Obviously both Barty and Pliskova have great forehands, but could they be more different technically? (Click Here for Barty's Forehand) Take a look!

Last edited by johnyandell; 03-01-2020, 06:57 PM.

I've seen Karolina play many times up close. Pure ball striker and easy power. Classic double bend forehand with Quite the specimen. The physical gifts and athleticism are all there. She has a twin sister Krystyna who also plays on the tour. Karolina handles her racquet like a club, backswing that inverts the racquet head and then whips it around to pulverize it. Swing is more linear and hits a ball with much less RPMs than Barty. Pliskova's grip is more under the handle than I had previously thought as well. The first two shots in the video have her taking this ball at about shoulder height and she handles them well.

Kyle LaCroix
    Delray Beach
    SETS Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      backswing that inverts the racquet head and then whips it around to pulverize it
      I agree with this part. As she lowers the racket and starts the pull, the butt cap gets pulled almost sideways towards the side fence. And then the racket seems to get whipped around as Kyle mentioned. I disagree on the linear part though. Seems to me it's almost all wiper/torque through the ball and not much extension. This frame shows the butt cap not pointing at the incoming ball, but pointing towards the side fence!

butt_cap.png
      Last edited by jeffreycounts; 02-06-2020, 01:52 PM.

Comment

In this still frame it looks like she is about to his a baseball with a baseball bat. I think that's the inverted racket head Kyle noticed as well.

baseball.png

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreycounts View Post

I agree with this part. As she lowers the racket and starts the pull, the butt cap gets pulled almost sideways towards the side fence. And then the racket seems to get whipped around as Kyle mentioned. I disagree on the linear part though. Seems to me it's almost all wiper/torque through the ball and not much extension. This frame shows the butt cap not pointing at the incoming ball, but pointing towards the side fence!

butt_cap.png
          Good call Jeff
          Linear in terms of the segment forward swing through towards ball prior to contact, then a quick wiper finish.

One thing these great videos do not pick up is the sound. A Pliskova groundstroke sounds like someone swinging fresh lumber into a thick blanket. A deep, resonating blast that tingles the chest cavity. Awesome stuff.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Delray Beach
          SETS Consulting

Comment

Linear in terms of the segment forward swing through towards ball prior to contact, then a quick wiper finish.
            Makes sense!

One unrelated question I've had is why on earth is her identical twin sister is ranked so far below her (62 in the world versus 3). You would think being a lefty would give her an edge like Nadal, McEnroe, etc get. Would be interesting to compare their strokes to see if it's technical or physical/mental.
            Last edited by jeffreycounts; 02-06-2020, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I've had that question for years as well. It's incredible to have a player that that level, let alone two that have achieved a top 100 level.

JY always says the only way to know if a player would have been better or worse off with a specific technique is if we could clone them. Well, this was a chance.
              Here is a video of a match between the two

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Palo Alto
              SETS Consulting

Comment

I want high speed footage!

Comment

Good call Jeff

One thing these great videos do not pick up is the sound. A Pliskova groundstroke sounds like someone swinging fresh lumber into a thick blanket. A deep, resonating blast that tingles the chest cavity. Awesome stuff.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Delray Beach
                  SETS Consulting
                  Interesting discussion. The stroke appears to be a more typical big WTA forehand with the racket facing back at the end of the take back. This I think would be like a club that comes across and whacks the ball for easy power. The weakness here is that the forehand depends a lot on intense practice because the timing of the ball has to be more precise than on a forehand that stays in the slot longer and on the side of the body. It takes a long time to get from the back to out in front and against a person who presses her forehand she might start to miss fire or have to slice the forehand.

I still hold Henin's forehand as the model for women.

But I like Barty's forehand a lot. Despite the high take back she doesn't ever point the racket face to the back fence.

Ash Barty Forehand Last month we saw Ash Barty's wonderful slice backhand, and her ATP style two-hander. (Click Here (https://www.tennisplayer.net/bulletin/forum/tennisplayer/83482-november-2019-ash-barty-backhand).) This month's forehand footage is equally amazing. One of the characteristics of many ATP forehands is making

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8055 users online. 0 members and 8055 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X