No announcement yet.

A New Teaching System: One Handed Backhand: Forward Swing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The interesting thing about Pete's one hander is that it was much better technically earlier in his career--for example when he won his first Open-more on the Lansdorp model. I remember him railing effortless down the line winners. When he started working with Gullikson he developed the pattern of trying to roll his backhand crosscourt higher and deeper to set up his running forehand. That's where I think the increased elbow lead came in.

Years ago I showed footage of the elbow lead to Paul Annacone and made the suggestion he needed to straighten his arm sooner. Paul agreed. I said up to you but we can show this to Pete. He said oh I would never show this to Pete. I asked him why. He said because Pete thought his backhand was fine and that seeing that analysis would affect his confidence. Very interesting. Probably good coaching as he knew the mind of his player.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
      The interesting thing about Pete's one hander is that it was much better technically earlier in his career--for example when he won his first Open-more on the Lansdorp model. I remember him railing effortless down the line winners. When he started working with Gullikson he developed the pattern of trying to roll his backhand crosscourt higher and deeper to set up his running forehand. That's where I think the increased elbow lead came in.

Years ago I showed footage of the elbow lead to Paul Annacone and made the suggestion he needed to straighten his arm sooner. Paul agreed. I said up to you but we can show this to Pete. He said oh I would never show this to Pete. I asked him why. He said because Pete thought his backhand was fine and that seeing that analysis would affect his confidence. Very interesting. Probably good coaching as he knew the mind of his player.
      That's excellent coaching and I know exactly what he means.
      Stotty

Comment

Great article for sure John! The left leg going back is critical in staying in alignment on your shot line to extension. Balance sure...but more importantly alignment.

Comment

Originally posted by jthb1021 View Post
          Great article for sure John! The left leg going back is critical in staying in alignment on your shot line to extension. Balance sure...but more importantly alignment.
          Good point about alignment...balance and alignment are products of the same source of energy. The game of tennis is a game of energy and balance.
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8513 users online. 7 members and 8506 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X