No announcement yet.

The Net Game: Macro Perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent thoughts NYTA. It's a thinking man's game when you include going to the net as part of your tactics. But absent from your thoughts is the all important approach shot. This is why I am advocating a full retreat all the way back to the baseline. You must start from scratch repeatedly getting the hang and the timing of hitting the ball while going forwards. No reason not to throw in one of those angled volleys once you are in position at the net. Then you just immediately throw another ball in play. Both drill partners should have at least four balls at their immediate disposal and why not throw down a dozen in front of the partner on the baseline. Just keep it going. Up and back. You would do fine to throw in twenty minutes of this in every session. I think a huge reason why players don't go to the net is because they haven't number one...thought it out. Number two...they haven't put in the reps. Put in thousands of reps and I guarantee that this will be an effective aspect of your repertoire.

Another thing you will want to throw into this kind of practice/drilling is the lob. Once the net player gets there then the baseline player throw a lob over his head. Hit the overhead and immediately go towards the net again. The baseline player can throw up another lob or a volley at the feet. Yeah...there are a lot of possibilities when you are approaching the net. It requires a lot of practice and a real different mindset.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      Excellent thoughts NYTA. It's a thinking man's game when you include going to the net as part of your tactics. But absent from your thoughts is the all important approach shot. This is why I am advocating a full retreat all the way back to the baseline. You must start from scratch repeatedly getting the hang and the timing of hitting the ball while going forwards. No reason not to throw in one of those angled volleys once you are in position at the net. Then you just immediately throw another ball in play. Both drill partners should have at least four balls at their immediate disposal and why not throw down a dozen in front of the partner on the baseline. Just keep it going. Up and back. You would do fine to throw in twenty minutes of this in every session. I think a huge reason why players don't go to the net is because they haven't number one...thought it out. Number two...they haven't put in the reps. Put in thousands of reps and I guarantee that this will be an effective aspect of your repertoire.

Another thing you will want to throw into this kind of practice/drilling is the lob. Once the net player gets there then the baseline player throw a lob over his head. Hit the overhead and immediately go towards the net again. The baseline player can throw up another lob or a volley at the feet. Yeah...there are a lot of possibilities when you are approaching the net. It requires a lot of practice and a real different mindset.
      yup, true,... probably need to explicity spend more time practicing approach shots (mainly incorporated when playing the "groundstroke game with 2pt bonus to come to net")

i like the idea of always having 3-4 balls in the pocket for the sake of continuity... will incorporate that.

i definltey spend time hiting lob/oh... but only with a few select partners (consistent enough) that also have the practice-with-purpose mindset... 90% of rec folks just want to hit from the baseline

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2586 users online. 3 members and 2583 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X