Why is Welby a perceived guru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Welby a perceived guru

Could someone let me in on precisely what Welby teaches and how?

Welby -

I do not know how "precise" this is but I will give it a shot. Welby has been teaching tennis longer than I have been alive, and I've taught tennis for 30+ years. He believes that the sequence of learning is 1) balance 2) grips 3) strokes and 4) tactics. While this in and of it self is no great revelation, the emphasis on balance and proper movement is foundational to all sports. If you think about it, tennis is about getting to the ball and hitting it. If you can't get there you can have great strokes and you will not be a very good player. If you look at grips it is clear that grip will determine shape of stroke to at least some degree. If you don't believe this, try hitting a slice forehand with a full western grip - no fair using the other side of the racquet!! It does not make sense to worry about tactics if you can't control your shots.

Welby's methodology for development is start with a simple task, master it and increase the variability (i.e. velocity range, spin, distance, ball height variation, etc.) progressively. Again, there are many "coaches" who just think you tell someone to hit every ball as hard as possible and eventually they will hit with control. Apparently the German Tennis Federation did a study in the 1980's that showed that players who learned control but also got to spend some time hitting hard early on (with less emphasis on control for that component of their learning) did best in the long run.

Welby also believes that defense is foundational in any sport. If you think about it, all of the great players can play great defense. Some argue that the offense - neutral - defense theory of tennis no longer applies. I disagree. When you are on offense your goal is to finish the point if possible or at least stay in control of the point. If you are neutral your goal is to win the point if possible, gain control of the point if you can or at least stay neutral. If you are on defense your goal is to get to even if possible, win the point in rare situations or at the very least make the other player hit another shot. Modern players (with modern equipment) are probably better at going from defense to offense with one shot than players from the past. Nick Saviano contends that almost all shots are building (setting up winners) or neutralizing shots and he is certainly correct.

Welby is a guru because most of what he said has remained true even though the game has changed a great deal. Hope this helps!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8518 users online. 6 members and 8512 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X