Rotterdam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotterdam

I have on and off watched the first 3 matches on the stadium court of this Masters 500 tournament. Of course, the 3 great ones are not in the draw but these matches quality wise to me were top shelf, and simply reiterates to me how super tough it is to make a real impact at this level.

Rotterdam is a great event and gets better each year. The draw they have in 2020 is loaded. One of my favorites Richard Krajicek is the tourney director of Rotterdam. Really impressive growth and community involvement as well.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Delray Beach
    SETS Consulting

Comment

2020 ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament...ATP 500...Rotterdam, Netherlands

Daniel Evans through with a nice win over Philipp Kohlschreiber 6-3, 7-5. I love a good underdog story. He seemingly blew it at one point in his career but now it appears he has his nose to the grindstone. It doesn't hurt his appeal to me that he plays one handed backhand and likes to play tactical tennis.

Grigor Dimitrov over Denis "The Menace" Shapovalov by a similar 6-3, 7-6 score. This was a match that I thought Denis should win or at least hotly contest. So did the seedings as he was seeded eighth. Dimitrov has been really inconsistent the past couple of careers. Never stabilising into the consistent presence at tournaments that you might imagine he would be with a moniker like "Baby Fed". He didn't like that and in fact resented it. He wanted to be his own man. He would have done better to model his game then other than a "mirror image" of Roger Federer's.

No Roger Federer in the draw so this tournament has limited appeal but thanks stroke for starting a thread. I thought about it. My interest is waning. Style in tennis? It has been missing for quite some time now. I find Nick's thread on style just a tad ironic. I came on this forum announcing that there is a definite lack of style and that hasn't changed much. Maybe a little. It seems that the one handed backhand is more of a viable option nowadays. Moreso than even ten years ago.

Stefanos Tsitsipas in the house. A yeoman's test for the young "Zorba the Greek". He certainly looks the part. But this is a draw that he should see himself in the finals from the beginning if he wants to be who I think he wants to be. But he cannot. He cannot afford to look beyond his first round...or the second. He has to take it all point by point. The acid test. The Roger Federer look. Always in the present. His nemesis Felix Auger-Aliassime is lurking in his section of the draw too.

Daniil Medvedev? I think Daniil can see himself in the finals. Whether or not he makes it there is another story. But I get the impression that he exudes this kind of confidence. It sort of spills over with some of his spontaneous behaviour. It reveals a belief that I don't quite see yet in Stefanos.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

RBA had an impressive 1st round win over Fucsovics, who looked like the better player until the 2nd set tiebreaker. RBA lost the 1st set getting simply outhit out there. The announcer on the match said the obvious. RBA will not get discouraged, just go to work as he has done his whole career. And work he did. He worked to the 2nd set tiebreaker, won it, and Fucsovics then got discouraged and RBA took the 3rd set handily. As db, I like Evans also, who had a good win vs the always professional Kohl. The announcer pointed out Kohl came into this match with a 9-0 match record as he had dropped down to start the year and had dominated the Challenger circuit. Carreno Busta basically did the same Spanish thing as RBA winning his match vs Mannarino, who appears to have more options in his game than Carreno Busta. Grigor great win over Denis, who is decidedly not doing the Spanish thing out there. If Denis is on, great, if not oh well next tournament.

Comment

FAA has a great game but his serve is an issue. I think his grip is not a strong enough Continental. His heel pad looks not close to bevel 1, maybe even past bevel 2 toward bevel 3. For that matter, Tsitsipas is kind of in the same category, a la Nishikori.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
            For that matter, Tsitsipas is kind of in the same category, a la Nishikori.
            Wow! I went to bed watching Stefanos Tsitsipas for a set and some games. He lost the first in a tie-break and was down a break in the second. The Big Pole, Hubert Hurkacz had Tsitsipas on a string and was yanking him all over the court. Stefanos could not buy a return and he was getting rocked by Hurkacz.

After I left the match somehow young Zorba turned it around. I'm going to have to reread that book..."Zorba the Greek". For more descriptives of Tsitsipas. But one thing that is separating Tsitsipas from being in the same category as the rest is his ability to get behind and fight back. I think this also shows in his appetite for taking on the big names. He shows the minimal required respect but no more. He wants their scalp. He shows this sort of comeback fight...this come from behind attitude in and against a variety of different types of opponents. Maybe he gets a little breather in the next round and then...if he wins...it will be his nemesis Auger-Aliassime or Dimitrov. Not rest for the wicked.

Daniil Medvedev to get this party started in the top half soon enough. He has a good test in Vasek Pospisil who is showing signs of form and then it will be Filip Krajinovic if he should be so lucky. Medvedev has shown that of all the new comers and up and comers that he is by far the most consistent performer. He had a good year last year and he will be one of the horses to watch in the early going of this year. It will be interesting to see if he stumbles a bit here and there getting used to the altitude of being ranked number five in the world. That's pretty heady stuff.
            don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Wow! I went to bed watching Stefanos Tsitsipas for a set and some games. He lost the first in a tie-break and was down a break in the second. The Big Pole, Hubert Hurkacz had Tsitsipas on a string and was yanking him all over the court. Stefanos could not buy a return and he was getting rocked by Hurkacz.

After I left the match somehow young Zorba turned it around. I'm going to have to reread that book..."Zorba the Greek". For more descriptives of Tsitsipas. But one thing that is separating Tsitsipas from being in the same category as the rest is his ability to get behind and fight back. I think this also shows in his appetite for taking on the big names. He shows the minimal required respect but no more. He wants their scalp. He shows this sort of comeback fight...this come from behind attitude in and against a variety of different types of opponents. Maybe he gets a little breather in the next round and then...if he wins...it will be his nemesis Auger-Aliassime or Dimitrov. Not rest for the wicked.

Daniil Medvedev to get this party started in the top half soon enough. He has a good test in Vasek Pospisil who is showing signs of form and then it will be Filip Krajinovic if he should be so lucky. Medvedev has shown that of all the new comers and up and comers that he is by far the most consistent performer. He had a good year last year and he will be one of the horses to watch in the early going of this year. It will be interesting to see if he stumbles a bit here and there getting used to the altitude of being ranked number five in the world. That's pretty heady stuff.
              yes, Stefanos' return of serve, particularly off the 1 handed backhand is definitely an issue he needs to sort out. Stan could be somewhat of a template here as he has a very similar grip off that side.Stan tends to use the slice a lot on the return of serve. It is so hard with the one hander to play up to at a decent length to return serve and hit over the ball with the one hander. Fed does it about the best of anyone I have ever seen, but I personally think his more continental grip gives him technically more time with a shorter backswing to do it, even though Fed's slice is the best in the world also.

Comment

yes, Stefanos' return of serve, particularly off the 1 handed backhand is definitely an issue he needs to sort out. Stan could be somewhat of a template here as he has a very similar grip off that side.Stan tends to use the slice a lot on the return of serve. It is so hard with the one hander to play up to at a decent length to return serve and hit over the ball with the one hander. Fed does it about the best of anyone I have ever seen, but I personally think his more continental grip gives him technically more time with a shorter backswing to do it, even though Fed's slice is the best in the world also.
                I wonder what he did differently in the final two sets because he was making zero headway trying to drive his backhand return. Sometimes it takes a set to get the timing down on the opponents serve. But I like the idea of a slice well placed...either high and deep or short and laying low. Once again Federer is the gold standard. He gets it back in play and asks the opponent..."what you got?"

Stefanos is a work in process. He is developing. He certainly made a ton of headway in the last 18 months or so and it will be interesting to see where he is 18 months from now. It looks to me as if he is putting in some serious gym time and he has gone the circuit now a couple of times. He is getting acclimated to the whole deal...the lifestyle. But his is a more complicated game than is the simple minded strong grip forehand and two hand backhand game. Talk about style or lack of it. Stefanos has the options and he has to develop them. He has more options and they are more complicated tactically and technically. He is in for some interesting matches. The next one he should be looking to routine his opponent because after that it once again gets a bit more complicated.

Daniel Evans against Karen Khachanov is interesting prospect. A David versus Goliath. Evans at 5' 9" against the 6' 6" Khachanov. Absolutely dissimilar games. Evans again the classic player with options and Khachanov the modern robotic backcourt power hungry player. Daniil Medvedev suits up against Pospisil and then Grigor Dimitrov has more to lose than Felix Auger-Aliassime. I will try to catch a bit of each of these...in between sets of sit-ups. Actually have the setup to both at the same time. Multi tasking.

don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

I wonder what he did differently in the final two sets because he was making zero headway trying to drive his backhand return. Sometimes it takes a set to get the timing down on the opponents serve. But I like the idea of a slice well placed...either high and deep or short and laying low. Once again Federer is the gold standard. He gets it back in play and asks the opponent..."what you got?"

Stefanos is a work in process. He is developing. He certainly made a ton of headway in the last 18 months or so and it will be interesting to see where he is 18 months from now. It looks to me as if he is putting in some serious gym time and he has gone the circuit now a couple of times. He is getting acclimated to the whole deal...the lifestyle. But his is a more complicated game than is the simple minded strong grip forehand and two hand backhand game. Talk about style or lack of it. Stefanos has the options and he has to develop them. He has more options and they are more complicated tactically and technically. He is in for some interesting matches. The next one he should be looking to routine his opponent because after that it once again gets a bit more complicated.

Daniel Evans against Karen Khachanov is interesting prospect. A David versus Goliath. Evans at 5' 9" against the 6' 6" Khachanov. Absolutely dissimilar games. Evans again the classic player with options and Khachanov the modern robotic backcourt power hungry player. Daniil Medvedev suits up against Pospisil and then Grigor Dimitrov has more to lose than Felix Auger-Aliassime. I will try to catch a bit of each of these...in between sets of sit-ups. Actually have the setup to both at the same time. Multi tasking.
                  I like your thoughts on young Stefanos. He is the guy I find myself pulling for when he plays. He has the belief and the desire to reach his absolute highest potential it seems. I think he is a true contender for the FO. His second serve gives me pause somewhat. He does not seem to have the top shelf kick serve to me, and I personally think it is tied into his grip structure.

Comment

Haase wins 1st set vs Goffin with some bruising forehands. Watching Haase serve, I was think both Stefanos and FAA would be better players if they had Haase' s serve, particularly his 2nd.

Comment

Goffin wins in 3. Very small margins, both players won an equal number of points for the match. Haase #167 in world, unbelievable vs #10 Goffin.

Comment

Goffin wins in 3. Very small margins, both players won an equal number of points for the match. Haase #167 in world, unbelievable vs #10 Goffin.
                        Robin Hasse is a former 30 something ranking. He is currently playing singles and doubles trying to regain his form. Ironically...he apparently double faulted three times in one game to lose serve and provide the winning margin to David Goffin. Goffin has a pretty decent serve for not being the biggest guy. He moves it around the box pretty effectively. I saw the last game where he served it out. You know...certain points loom large. A seemingly ultra important match for Hasse was the first point of Goffin's serve in the last game. Hasse made a very unforced error long to lose it. But he contested the rest of the game very well. If...a big if, he had one that first point who knows? This is the difference in the pedigrees...the higher the pedigree the better they play the big points.

Daniel Evans next up with Karen Khachanov. Daniel versus Goliath.
                        don_budge

Comment

and that Khachanov forehand. Still not certain where to rank it, but it is no doubt a brutal weapon. Of the next gen players, my favorite forehand is Berenttini

Comment

Classic Daniel versus Goliath...4-6, 6-3

and that Khachanov forehand. Still not certain where to rank it, but it is no doubt a brutal weapon. Of the next gen players, my favorite forehand is Berenttini
                            Oh yeah? Daniel Evans says you can have that forehand and stick it where the sun don't shine! Interesting cat and mouse game Evans is playing with Khachanov. I think he is in Karen's head now. He has given the big lug a steady diet of a mixture of slice and drive off of the backhand side. Evans is saying to Khachanov that he can match him straight up on the forehand side with intelligent play.

It looks to me as if Evans has attended the don_budge School of Tennis at some point. He may not win here but he is really putting on a clinic on how to neutralise when you are outgunned. Excellent tennis IQ.
                            don_budge

Comment

Ah...so clever. All of you coaches should be watching this. How do you bring Goliath down? You bring him down to your size. Evans effectively has Khachanov hitting up on his backhand with the underpin he is feeding him. Khachanov has to get down...way down. Evans playing the ball around the service line with some acute angle as well. Just so clever. I hope he wins.

Even the Evans serve is clever...mixing up the location with decent speed and tons of spin. This is what you call classic tennis.
                              don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2739 users online. 14 members and 2725 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X