Delray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delray

Tonic loses very quickly in the 2nd round of qualies to Gulbis and ends up with a LL entry into the main draw. I wish I could be there tonight at 8pm to see his 1st round match. I do not think there has ever been a player who has wasted their potential to the extent of Tomic.

2020 Delray Beach Open...ATP 250...Delray Beach, Florida USA

Nick Kyrgios in the house and where his head is at is anybodies guess. A host of young Americans in the draw and John Yandell and Kyle LaCroix hanging tough at the tourney. Oh...to be a fly on the wall. Keep us posted on any developments gents if you can. Throw in a couple of pics of any of the best looking attendees for the halibut.

I guess we will have to let this one simmer on a round by round basis. Nothing pops out other than the two biggest underachievers ever out of Australia. Seriously...who ever heard of an Australian underachiever in tennis before these two knuckleheads? Nothing jumps out at me right off the top except for John Yandell's expose in this months issue of tennisplayer. Let's see what's cooking...shall we?

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

It appears the Tomic match has been moved to tomorrow, somehow adding to the drama. I guess I will be watching.

Comment

Kyrgios has pulled out of the singles with a wrist injury. But still in doubles with partner Jordan Thompson who pulled out of his singles match with an injury. Myself and a former co-worker (who happens to be a former NCAA all-american at UNC Chapel Hill) have signed our names up to be doubles alternates. Would be hilarious if we got in to play the Bryan Brothers but lots has to happen for them to call us up. Figured its worth a shot.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Delray Beach
        SETS Consulting

Comment

Kyle, the tennisplayer community is pulling for you

Comment

Nick is something with his drama. Hard to believe with his talent it is way more likely than not he will never win a Major or Masters 1000.

Comment

And Tomic goes out again as LL 1st round. As a teenager, he extended a top player Cilic to 5 sets at AO and clearly had the more interesting/desirable game in doing so. And now, with his total lack of desire and fitness, he is a total non factor.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                Nick is something with his drama. Hard to believe with his talent it is way more likely than not he will never win a Major or Masters 1000.
                And Tomic goes out again as LL 1st round. As a teenager, he extended a top player Cilic to 5 sets at AO and clearly had the more interesting/desirable game in doing so. And now, with his total lack of desire and fitness, he is a total non factor.
                Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                2020 Delray Beach Open...ATP 250...Delray Beach, Florida USA

Nick Kyrgios in the house and where his head is at is anybodies guess. Nothing pops out other than the two biggest underachievers ever out of Australia. Seriously...who ever heard of an Australian underachiever in tennis before these two knuckleheads?

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.
                A bit prophetic...yet it doesn't take a genius to figure out these two clowns. Dumb and Dumber. Hekyll and Jekyll. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Harry Hopman rolling over in his grave. Perfect examples of talent going to the head overriding effort. I can see why stroke is enamoured with the Tomic game. But beyond its smooth appearance there is a real lack of grit. A huge part of this game is grit. Nadal is grit personified. Neither of these two have an ounce of grit compared to Nadal. If they did they would be dangerous. If either had half a brain they would be dangerous.
                don_budge

Comment

Kyle, the tennisplayer community is pulling for you
                  thanks.
                  Not sure what number I am on alternate list but haven't been called yet so probably not happening. All good. The Bryans' would have been in trouble.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Delray Beach
                  SETS Consulting

Comment

Raonic and his serve look to be the favorite. His serve(combo of 1st and 2nd) is the best sub 6'10" serve I have seen. Opelka moves very well for a guy about the same height as Isner and Ivo. Opelka obviously has a great serve, right there with the other 2 giants, but he clearly moves better and has a better forehand. He is proportioned very well for tennis a guy 6'10" plus. Not particularly high waisted at all.
                    Last edited by stroke; 02-20-2020, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Very impressive win by Opelka over an in form Raonic. Opelka may very well be the first 6'10" plus player to make the break through and win a Major.
                      Last edited by stroke; 02-23-2020, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Very impressive win by Opelka over an in form Raonic. Opelka may very well be the first 6'10" plus player to make the break through and win a Major.
                        One never knows about the future...but in this tournament he is going to have a bit of a David and Goliath test against Yoshihito Nishioka before he hoists the championship trophy. Per usual I am rooting for the underdog...the little guy.
                        don_budge

Comment

So what do the odds makers say. don_budge says Yoshihito the winner. Second match of the day for the Big Guy. The wheels are going to come off.
                          don_budge

Comment

Interesting match. Left to hit the hay at 5-4 somebody in the first set. They had traded breaks and it looked to me as if Nishioka was working on the legs of Reilly Opelka. It seemed to be working. He wanted to play long points but somehow it didn't seem to me that he was moving the big lug around the court as much as he could have. He was making a game of it though.

Opelka for his part looked to be a bit gangly...only natural at 6' 11" compared to the 5' 7" opponent. But remarkable agility if you want to call it that for his size. Endurance too. This was his second three setter of the day. An impressively interesting performance. I am not sure if he will win the bigger titles anytime soon but he has won this one. HUGE serve.
                            don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9310 users online. 8 members and 9302 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X