Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing grips

John,

When I first picked up tennis maybe six or so years ago, I basically mimicked a friend of mine who used a fairly western forehand grip. My game has obviously changed and evolved over time, but one thing that has stuck has been that western grip on my forehand. I spend a lot of time playing these days and my forehand has never really been the weapon I've wanted it to be. While I know some people can really be successful with a western grip, I'm sort of trying to break my stroke down to the basics and start over with it - get back to the fundamentals. And in that effort, I am trying to convert from what you would now call maybe a 4/4 to a more conservative agassi or safin-like 3/4.

My real question to you is - I am having an absolute fit tyring to break the muscle memory my hand has in grabbing the racquet with my old forehand grip. I feel like changing my old swing pattern won't be so difficult when i can simply grab my racquet the same way every time. Have you ever coached someone through this kind of switch after having it so ingrained, and did you have any tricks like putting tape on the racquet as a reminder, or something along those lines? I am trying to take your advice to take a more conservative grip as a fairly average club level player, I am just struggling to break an old habit.

Thanks,
    Scott Newman

Scott,

I think the key is how you practice. If I were you I'd be spending a lot of time on a ball machine. Why? Because you need to get low pressure reps where misses don't matter, but the right grip is the priority.

Uncertainty or fear of consequences are the barriers to change. So for example if you started on the ball machine in the ready position with the correct new grip, and hit a forehand and recovered, then hit a forehand, then a backhand, then a forehand, and made the correct grip the measure of success, you'd be on your way.

No way it'll ever happen immediately just in matches. From the ball machine (or a very patient partner or teaching pro), you need to progress to simple rallies, then rally points, then serve points, return points, then games, then sets. When it breaks down go back to the lower levels.

With a change like this when I'm working with someone, I reserve the right to stop the point and award it to the opponent if the change doesn't happen on a given ball--even if they hit the best forehand winner of their lives..

The bottom line is you have to care more about the process than the outcome. If you aren't happy to be worse on some balls to be better on some others, it'll never happen. If you are, it will.

Regards,
    John Yandell

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2521 users online. 4 members and 2517 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X