Pierre-Hugues Herbert Serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pierre-Hugues Herbert Serve

I supposed I missed previous TV commentary and this forum’s comments on Herbert’s serve which seems to be a McEnroe copy, complete with the hitch of opening of racket face and lowering of racket tip at beginning of upswing. Is that “hitch” a function of the stance or just a personal style? What are advantages/disadvantages of this style? Seems like it would be hard to read.

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
    I supposed I missed previous TV commentary and this forum’s comments on Herbert’s serve which seems to be a McEnroe copy, complete with the hitch of opening of racket face and lowering of racket tip at beginning of upswing. Is that “hitch” a function of the stance or just a personal style? What are advantages/disadvantages of this style? Seems like it would be hard to read.
    How about a link to video? I have seen him play at times but never seen his serve.

Or maybe it is in another thread?

Comment

This Herbert serve link is pretty good: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e0xlg6nBkDI

Comment

Interesting serve! Looks a little less fluid than Johnny Mac's. I found this video on youtube. Not sure why people thing S&V and attacking tennis is boring.

Comment

Great serve and volley. Here is what Groth and Herbert’s ancestors looked like a quarter of a century ago: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aPtoy9o4LOk

Comment

Great serve and volley. Here is what Groth and Herbert’s ancestors looked like a quarter of a century ago: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aPtoy9o4LOk
            Nope...sorry. That doesn't cut it my book. This is where the game took a wrong turn. The oversized racquets were poison to the game of Classic Tennis. Guys like Gene Mayer went from being ranked number one million to #6 overnight. In my opinion...this tennis sucks every bit as much as the nonsense they call tennis nowadays.

Here is some real tennis...complete with the artistry.

Read all about it right here. Ille Nastase versus Arthur Ashe U. S. Open Finals 1972.

don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

For some reason this thread triggered a memory I have of me and my older sister as teenagers in the late 70s - we would always have tennis racquets with us (Dunlop Maxply Fort of course), even when there weren't any courts, and we would just go and have a volley in a field. We would volley for hours. A hundred in a row was nothing for us, including really low ones, since there was no net. I couldn't begin to guess how many volleys we hit. Thirty years without picking up a racquet, and I find that the muscle memory for volleying is still there. It looks like instinct, but it's just huge repetitions over years. If someone today were to work at it, I'm sure they could profit even in today's game.

And just so I don't get flak for going off-topic: I like PHH's serve. I'd also like to know why he opens the racquet face during the take back, it does look a bit McEnroe-like. In that clip his ISR is a bit late, but that can vary from serve to serve, so who knows?
              Last edited by glacierguy; 02-23-2020, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Perhaps a rule change somehow awarding 2 points if a point is won when contacting the ball in the forecourt would bring back interest in net play.

Comment

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
                  For some reason this thread triggered a memory I have of me and my older sister as teenagers in the late 70s - we would always have tennis racquets with us (Dunlop Maxply Fort of course), even when there weren't any courts, and we would just go and have a volley in a field. We would volley for hours. A hundred in a row was nothing for us, including really low ones, since there was no net. I couldn't begin to guess how many volleys we hit. Thirty years without picking up a racquet, and I find that the muscle memory for volleying is still there. It looks like instinct, but it's just huge repetitions over years. If someone today were to work at it, I'm sure they could profit even in today's game.

And just so I don't get flak for going off-topic: I like PHH's serve. I'd also like to know why he opens the racquet face during the take back, it does look a bit McEnroe-like. In that clip his ISR is a bit late, but that can vary from serve to serve, so who knows?
                  A throwback serve and a throwback game. I think volleying is underrated today. Maybe not S&V but more attacking tennis to at least mix it up.

I think the greatest gains could come for lower ranked players who have nothing to lose. Sometimes I see players just going with their A game and losing to someone in the top 10. If your chance of winning with your A game is 10%, why not mix it up somehow.

Maybe PHH will do it someday.

Against Fed:

or Against Nadal:

Comment

What a wonderful clip. Beautiful all court tennis...not just serve and volley. Herman was probably the last great volleyer before the game retreated to the baseline. But the clip perhaps best highlights the all court tennis of the era...which demonstrates a broader repertoire than you generally see today. Nice find.
                    Stotty

Comment

Arturo, your Brown versus Nadal clip is one of my favorites—pure shotmaking, soft hands, incredible anticipation in net play. Images of Nastase, McEnroe and Federer come to mind. But Brown can’t seem to come close to duplicating this level of play. Why? How much of this failure is court related versus a brain issue. This brings to mind Stotty’s discussion of a younger player’s need to understand the strengths/weaknesses of their style of play. They also need to understand how much they can realistically expect to adjust their style to extreme surface changes. Federer and Nadal can surface adjust and win, but not many. A one year ATP grass only pro tour, followed by a year of hard only, then a year of clay only would be fascinating to see if the top 50 rank/order changed very much.

QUOTE=arturohernandez;n86478]

A throwback serve and a throwback game. I think volleying is underrated today. Maybe not S&V but more attacking tennis to at least mix it up.

I think the greatest gains could come for lower ranked players who have nothing to lose. Sometimes I see players just going with their A game and losing to someone in the top 10. If your chance of winning with your A game is 10%, why not mix it up somehow.

Maybe PHH will do it someday.

Against Fed:

or Against Nadal:

https://youtu.be/lZhqofkUdIU[/QUOTE]

Comment

Arturo, your Brown versus Nadal clip is one of my favorites—pure shotmaking, soft hands, incredible anticipation in net play. Images of Nastase, McEnroe and Federer come to mind. But Brown can’t seem to come close to duplicating this level of play. Why? How much of this failure is court related versus a brain issue. This brings to mind Stotty’s discussion of a younger player’s need to understand the strengths/weaknesses of their style of play. They also need to understand how much they can realistically expect to adjust their style to extreme surface changes. Federer and Nadal can surface adjust and win, but not many. A one year ATP grass only pro tour, followed by a year of hard only, then a year of clay only would be fascinating to see if the top 50 rank/order changed very much.
                        Everyone says that S&V and attacking tennis is a recipe for disaster today. The equipment and courts emphasize much more baseline play.

But every so often someone comes out and wins this way. I just don't know if anyone is brave enough to really give it a go. Someone who is incredibly talented and athletic. What would happen if Tiafoe S&V and attacked the net? Or Gael Monfils? Or what about Shapavolov? What if he attacked the net like crazy?

The answer seems to be that they would be a LOT less successful. But we don't know because no one is even trying it these days.

They used to say that a good QB was a pocket passer. That is no longer the case.

Brown was incredible that day. It would be great to see him pull it off for seven matches in a row...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8597 users online. 5 members and 8592 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X