About Kasatkina Tour Portrait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Kasatkina Tour Portrait

Since I sometimes get photography related questions, so here are a few notes on my photos of Daria Kasatkina for this month's TPN Tour Portrait here:
    https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...ria_kasatkina/

First time I saw Dasha play, she beat Venus at night in Indian Wells, before finally losing in the finals to Naomi Osaka. Fun player to watch with a lot of spin and good movement. Results have ebbed of late.

Going from your right to left: 1) This tight shot was done with a then-new Nikon Z7 with a 500 mm f5.6 Fresnel lens at San Jose last year. I normally avoid slow lenses. But this one is much smaller and lighter (because of the fresnel lens) than other 500 mm giants that are tiring to handle when you're in the stands and can't use a tripod. So I tried it out. Sharp and maneuverable. Long focal length enabled this tight shot.

2) The middle shot was taken during the final vs Osaka (IW 2018), using a D850 with a 300 mm F 2.8 lens. That's a more typical combination for me: Sharp, shallow depth of field puts background clutter out of focus. But you can't always bring a canon that size into a match.

3) On the left, is something quite different. This is a frame grab from 4k video, also on a D850, probably with a 70-200 mm zoom. I wanted to get some detail on Dasha's "ATP forehand". Taking frames from video gives you a better chance of getting the exact moments you're looking for (by shooting 30 frames per second), here when the tip of her racket is pointed straight at the ball and her torso twisted, weight on her outside, right leg. A video I created of her forehand is still on YouTube here:

Hope you find these interesting. Click the thumbnails to enlarge.

best / jim
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
    Since I sometimes get photography related questions, so here are a few notes on my photos of Daria Kasatkina for this month's TPN Tour Portrait here:
    https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...ria_kasatkina/

First time I saw Dasha play, she beat Venus at night in Indian Wells, before finally losing in the finals to Naomi Osaka. Fun player to watch with a lot of spin and good movement. Results have ebbed of late.

Going from your right to left: 1) This tight shot was done with a then-new Nikon Z7 with a 500 mm f5.6 Fresnel lens at San Jose last year. I normally avoid slow lenses. But this one is much smaller and lighter (because of the fresnel lens) than other 500 mm giants that are tiring to handle when you're in the stands and can't use a tripod. So I tried it out. Sharp and maneuverable. Long focal length enabled this tight shot.

2) The middle shot was taken during the final vs Osaka (IW 2018), using a D850 with a 300 mm F 2.8 lens. That's a more typical combination for me: Sharp, shallow depth of field puts background clutter out of focus. But you can't always bring a canon that size into a match.

3) On the left, is something quite different. This is a frame grab from 4k video, also on a D850, probably with a 70-200 mm zoom. I wanted to get some detail on Dasha's "ATP forehand". Taking frames from video gives you a better chance of getting the exact moments you're looking for (by shooting 30 frames per second), here when the tip of her racket is pointed straight at the ball and her torso twisted, weight on her outside, right leg. A video I created of her forehand is still on YouTube here:

Hope you find these interesting. Click the thumbnails to enlarge.

best / jim
    Nice work as always, Jim. I watched the video clip. Not too much extension, is there?

It's good you put a spotlight on women's tennis, which is incredibly neglected here on the forum.
    Stotty

Comment

Thanks, Stotty! Yes, I enjoy the WTA's competition. Regularly go to Stanford WTA now (sadly) moved to San Jose. Hope its field isn't too badly impacted by the Olympics.
      As for Dasha's extension, trying to remember. I'll have to rewatch my own video ! <g>.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7915 users online. 3 members and 7912 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X