2020 BNP Paribas Open...ATP 1000...Indian Wells, CA USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 BNP Paribas Open...ATP 1000...Indian Wells, CA USA

The CORONA VIRUS is making an impact on ATP tournaments. A special alert to all players...YOU MUST MANAGE YOUR OWN TOWEL as a precautionary measure. That is all...for now.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

I cannot wait to watch Fafa Nadal manage his own TOWELS! The only player on tour who requires two towels in the back of the court. He's special...really special. No extra time on the clock either!
    don_budge

Comment

BNP Indian Wells taking some action is good news, whether it's adequate is debatable:

Most are for protecting staff, which is important. Cleaning is about the only thing aimed at protecting attendees: "All common areas throughout the facility will be cleaned daily with an antiviral application"

BNP should clean stair railings, which get touched repeatedly by most everybody, multiple times during the day.
      Food vendors' practices aren't remotely adequate. Again, gloves protect them (good), but having thousands repeatedly touch condiments, utensil dispensers was unacceptable, is worse now.
      Prior bathroom maintenance wasn't good, is completely inadequate in the face of novel coronavirus. Need to constantly use antiseptic wipes on handles, fixtures, doors.

We shall see.

Comment

Don't get sick and take some good pictures!

Comment

Indian Wells is cancelled

Comment

1 case in Riverside county! Is this cya?

Comment

You can't get it from Tennisplayer!

Comment

Hope Miami is still going to happen, looking forward to being down there. John, will you be there?

SeanO

Comment

I hope

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                    You can't get it from Tennisplayer!
                    The beauty of cyber space. But what a pity that we won't be able to watch as the players would have to manage their own towel time. What a beautiful thing it would be to watch Nadal try to make it to the service line without being able to use the towel to milk time and disrupt his opponent. He's a wily one. Slinky.

This thing is getting serious. I do not remember ever seeing an event canceled under similar circumstances. I had a miserable cold a couple of weeks ago...nearly one hundred percent recovered from. My wife had it twice as bad...I thought I was living with a barking seal she was coughing so bad. She didn't sleep for seven or eight nights. Oddly enough, in all of the coverage I haven't heard a first hand account of anyone who has had it. Not even second hand. Very little information out considering the size of the problem. There seems to be a lot of media hype. Canceling this event seems a bit extreme but then they have all of the information.

They are looking into rescheduling according to one article that I read. Miami must be on the edge as well. I believe they canceled some festival down there. In the gym I am wiping and rewiping. Washing and rewashing my hands. Everyone else seems to be doing the same thing. We must look really funny. All of a sudden concerned with micro hygiene.
                    don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Oddly enough, in all of the coverage I haven't heard a first hand account of anyone who has had it.
                      There seems to be a wide range of responses, so one story doesn't really tell us much, but here's the only first-hand account I've read.

For one coronavirus patient at ground zero of the outbreak, the journey from infection to recovery was a nightmare scenario that entailed multiple hospital visits, symptoms so severe he thought he would die and quarantine under police watch.

Comment

I had to read the press release 4 times last night to make sure I was understanding it properly. Indian Wells gets cancelled...or postponed. I thought it was a joke. Pathetic, knee jerk reaction to widespread media led panic.

One person...yes, one person in Coachella Valley was diagnosed with it, so they scrap an event that would bring millions in revenue and entertain millions more around the world.
                        We need to treat this like the flu and everyone take personal responsibility for that but panicking isn't going to help.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Delray Beach
                        SETS Consulting

Comment

This epidemic is serious and the entire tennis season is at jeopardy. There 'May" be no French Open, and I'd guess likely no Italian Open this year. France just banned all events of 1,000 people or more. Italy has closed the entire country's borders to non-essential travel. The Miami Open just announced it WILL be held, but "Florida Health Department had advised all individuals traveling internationally to self-isolate for 14 days", before revising it down to match fed guidelines.

Respectfully, the BNP Indian Wells shut down is not about one person in that county, it's about 500,000 traveling to that area and being in close quarters. Remember, over 3,600 Americans died from H1N1 in, was it 2009? And while we don't know for certain the severity of Covid-19 in large part because of extremely poor testing in US, Italy and Iran, the Covid-19 virus is both far more communicable and likely far more lethal than H1N1. The main reason to curtail large events is to "spread the curve" because the virus is so highly communicable. Without action, US Hospitals will be treating people in parking lot tents (see the red bell-jar curve from the CDC/Economist), and that will mean more deaths from many causes. The nearest hospital to me in Silicon Valley went through 25,000 masks in two days. Because growth is exponential, every infection avoided now, means many fewer in a month, or two, helping out healthcare system cope. Fingers crossed.

Never thought I'd be posting something like this on TNP
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

It's a tricky one for governing bodies and governments around the world. Hopefully it will all turn out to be what Klacr suggests: overreaction and a big fuss about not a lot. In a place like Indian Wells where great swathes of the population are pottering around on zimmer frames you can understand why the event was cancelled. Some poor sod is going to be carrying the buck if a 3000 pensioners get wiped out.

I have a hacking cough and sore throat as I speak, had it for two weeks. It's bronchitis and nothing more, but I can tell you I have plenty of room around me wherever I go at the moment. One cough and everyone scats.

Exponential growth is lethal in a situation like this. No wonder business men and financiers have been banging on about it all these years. It's the route to owning large sections of the world.

I just wonder whereabouts in the calendar there is scope to reschedule Indian Wells. Just imagine if there is no FO and Wimbledon or US Open? Roger could end up the GOAT yet by default just when it looked like he might get equalled or overtaken. How whacky would that be!
                            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                              I had to read the press release 4 times last night to make sure I was understanding it properly. Indian Wells gets cancelled...or postponed. I thought it was a joke. Pathetic, knee jerk reaction to widespread media led panic.

One person...yes, one person in Coachella Valley was diagnosed with it, so they scrap an event that would bring millions in revenue and entertain millions more around the world.
                              We need to treat this like the flu and everyone take personal responsibility for that but panicking isn't going to help.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Delray Beach
                              SETS Consulting
                              Yes...these are strange times. Information is trump...possibly pun intended. Whoever is holding the information is holding all of the cards. The funny part of every issue going on these days is the uncertainty of the facts. Now that our illustrious MAINSTREAM MEDIA has been diagnosed as a WMD...a Weapon of Mass Deception. All major military powers are deeply invested in Bio-Weapons programs and you have to wonder if this one just didn't slip out of the bag. The implications are unbelievably huge. What if this is a test run for something far more deadly?

We cannot depend upon China for anything anymore. Donald Trump is absolutely correct in his posture towards the Chinese. Any questions about American security are going to have to be resolved partly as a result of this virus. We cannot afford to let anyone have a strangle hold on us in anything. The Chinese at present do have a multi-dimensional strangle hold on us on many levels. The result of bad management in American government in the past. What were they thinking?

Better to err on the side of caution. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure at this point. The impact of the media cannot be underestimated in any informational issues at this point going forwards. The coverage of this global event has been shockingly bad. This is all becoming eerily reminiscent of that most interesting of novels written way back in 1947 by George Orwell...!984.
                              don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7970 users online. 7 members and 7963 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X