Serving Coronas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serving Coronas.

Since I don't have much to do these days, and no competition to worry about for the foreseeable future in between building closets in the attic to keep the Ms. Jolly happy I have decided to use the time to work on my strokes. I'll focus on the serve especially but not exclusively.

I shot some video in regular and high speed today as a benchmark, it was a little chilly and windy but I feel this is more or less representitive of my motion, I might have a little more spring and looseness in the old carcass when I am properly warm.

I shot the video from the side to start, the back court at the house isn't very big so traditional rear view might have to focus only on upper or lower body, or maybe I can tilt the phone vertically which I know everyone hates.

Any help is appreciated, as are opinions or ideas.

Thanks in advance guys.

johnyandell if you would like to use me for a guinea pig, test subject, article, science project, or whatever I am more than willing.

J

Regular Speed: https://youtu.be/_gpP2SW5O-k

Slow Motion: https://youtu.be/hUQs0ZkIVuQ

J

Comment

I think the hitting arm is too vertical at contact, going to try to get the toss further into the court so the arm is more angled into the court and the racquet head can whip through more cleanly.

J

Comment

Thanks for posting, nice distraction. The business end of your serve looks very good to me - that is from trophy through contact. The only cosmetic thing I would tentatively mention is that your tossing arm shoulder kind of dips before the toss which adds a variable that's not necessary? What kind of mph do you get?

Comment

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
          Thanks for posting, nice distraction. The business end of your serve looks very good to me - that is from trophy through contact. The only cosmetic thing I would tentatively mention is that your tossing arm shoulder kind of dips before the toss which adds a variable that's not necessary? What kind of mph do you get?
          I haven't used radar in ages, I feel like it hinders my practice as I tighten up trying to hit harder. I've been pretty deep into the 120s but I feel like I am missing that last 5-10% that would make my serve elite. When I am serving well I hit the top of the door on the back curtain indoors or above the cross-bar on the back fence outdoors.

I see what you mean about the little dip in the tossing shoulder, not sure why I do it.

J

Comment

Looks pretty damn good

Comment

Originally posted by J011yroger View Post

I haven't used radar in ages, I feel like it hinders my practice as I tighten up trying to hit harder. I've been pretty deep into the 120s but I feel like I am missing that last 5-10% that would make my serve elite. When I am serving well I hit the top of the door on the back curtain indoors or above the cross-bar on the back fence outdoors.

I see what you mean about the little dip in the tossing shoulder, not sure why I do it.

J
              Impressive results. Rear view please?
              don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Video taped my serve today, in no position to critic anyone else. seem to have a forward entry where the racquet head goes past your head in the racquet drop and not a total 180 degrees of ISR.

Comment

J
                  Respect for hitting 120s. Know what you mean about radar - I've never hit a really loose serve when "on the gun". Mine are currently low 100s .

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Impressive results. Rear view please?

​​​​​​Rain the next two days but weather looks good Mon, Thur, Fri.

I'll try to video again from rear but I might have a problem getting everything in, is upper body including contact or whole body excluding contact more important? I can try to see if I can fit most of me in if I rotate the phone vertically.

J

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                      Looks pretty damn good

​​​​​Thanks John.

J

Comment

​​​​​​Rain the next two days but weather looks good Mon, Thur, Fri.

I'll try to video again from rear but I might have a problem getting everything in, is upper body including contact or whole body excluding contact more important? I can try to see if I can fit most of me in if I rotate the phone vertically.

J
                        Let's see both. It is important to see just how high you are tossing the ball. Stance and alignment are also important. Old carcass? You don't know what being old is yet. Unless you have passed the big 40. You're looking pretty spry and chipper to me...but then again its all relative. Isn't it? Thanks for posting...J011yroger. Where are you at anyways?
                        don_budge

Comment

Let's see both. It is important to see just how high you are tossing the ball. Stance and alignment are also important. Old carcass? You don't know what being old is yet. Unless you have passed the big 40. You're looking pretty spry and chipper to me...but then again its all relative. Isn't it? Thanks for posting...J011yroger. Where are you at anyways?
                          One other idea for a video shot...since we have all this time on our hands. Why not? Right? What have we got to lose...as Donald Trump was saying. Since you toss is disappearing somewhere in the clouds with the camera angle...let the ball bounce a few times so we have an idea how far into the court you are tossing the ball. Thanks J011yroger.
                          don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
                            Video taped my serve today, in no position to critic anyone else. seem to have a forward entry where the racquet head goes past your head in the racquet drop and not a total 180 degrees of ISR.
                            Forgive my hodge podge picture but I tried to cobble together all the relevant frames.

W/R/T the forward entry, you are talking about frame #2 where the tip goes past my head? Most elite servers have it right about in line with the head?

I assume that is because I temporarily lose the 90° angle between the forearm and upper arm as the racquet drops.

Is this a big deal?

I'm thinking that it's because I kind of let the racquet drop via gravity instead of just initiating the throw from the elbow like I would if I were throwing a ball.

About the ISR/pronation I tried to get 2 frames showing 180° even though I probably go a little more before and after.

I don't feel like my ISR/pronation as good as it could be in either quickness or range of motion. I understand that I don't have the arm of a Shapovalov or Kyrgios but I think it can be better.

My thought is that I'm not creating a clear enough path to the ball for the racquet to swing through cleanly.

Thank you for your time, I do appreciate it.

J

Comment

​​​​​​Will do. I'm on Long Island, in NY.

I'm closing in on 40 and about to become very popular when I do lol. I'm 2-3X the age of my academy students and half the age of my country club ones!

If found that teaching affects my toss, the rest of my motion is the same just slower but when I play matches I have to force myself to really put the ball out into the court. And when I work on my motion I find I have to toss higher when I'm slowing it down. Then when I am ready to start playing again I bring down the toss to match my full speed motion if that makes sense?

J

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8024 users online. 3 members and 8021 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X