New Teaching Method: One Handed Backhand: Stances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Teaching Method: One Handed Backhand: Stances

Would love your thoughts on my article, "New Teaching Method: One Handed Backhand: Stances"!

John -

This series on the 1 handed-backhand is both extremely informative but also visually beautiful. There's nothing more beautiful than a well hit 1 handed-backhand. The way Federer will have a heel-to-toe step to the ball, then drive thru the shot, is picture perfect. The strength to keep the arm straight and the shoulders sideways with the opposite arm and rear leg moving in the opposite direction is amazing to watch.

SeanO

Comment

Seano,
      Thanks and I agree on the beauty! And the strength!
      Last edited by johnyandell; 04-01-2020, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Hello John,

You are absolutely correct to point out the importance of strength for the one handed backhand. We all see the grace and beauty of Federer's backhand on TV, but we miss the overall core and leg strength that makes his backhand possible. I know you have watched Federer practice in person on many occasions. When a person is just observing him from 15 feet away, you see and feel the strength and power of his shots. It is almost like watching a professional boxer throw punches at close range. I have greatly enjoyed your instructional videos. I hope in the near future there might be an article on the Universal Tennis Rating. A great system to inspire people to play more and to find opponents at a similar skill level.

Sincerely,

Norman Ashbrooke

Comment

Norman,
          Yep. One year in Cincy I got on a crowded elevator and ended up standing next to Fed. He was facing some other Swiss player and giving him the double palms to the chest and pumping him up. There was just this aura of strength and power yet grace.
          I've been thinking the same on UTR.
          John

Comment

I've had a triceps tendon injury recently, and found that the stroke most affected was my one-handed backhand, I just couldn't lock out the straight arm with a dodgy triceps. Definitely takes some strength to maintain the straight arm. (Forehand and serve were pretty much unaffected.)

Comment

John,

At the end of the video you ask: should you try to hit from a more closed stance?

One thing I hope you will address in your next article is the timing of the placing of the front leg. Most pupils I had who had trouble with the backhand stepped way to early. So at the moment of the swing they had already closed their body, most of the time put their weight forward... and then started to swing.

Comment

A worthy topic!

Comment

Loved this piece, John.
                  Funny how many coaches decry the closed stance, even on a a one handed backhand out wide.
                  Eager for the next issue. Love this topic.....especially as I strive to improve my one handed backhand.
                  Thank you. Huge value here.

Comment

AJ High praise. Will try to keep it the quality!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7954 users online. 2 members and 7952 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X