Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ajchabria
    replied
    Glacierguy, sorry for the delay, just now seeing this.
    i think going up a few lbs was a good call.
    your gut, iso combination is great.
    i use gut mains on the tight side and looser poly crosses. Took a bit of time to adjust to the varied tensions, but it works well, and I don’t prestretch anymore.

a2Bruno, i like the control, spin and feel of ashaway monogut on its own. As a main with a round poly cross, it works well. Not as powerful as a gut main but, really good feel and spin.

Leave a comment:

• a2bruno
    replied
    It’s been quite a while since the last post here but I have been experimenting with a combo that some might find interesting or could comment on. I use a pre-stretched Ashaway Monogut ZX 16 main with RPM Blast cross, both at 55 Lb. this mimics a pure gut/poly combo and has lasted well over 6 mo and still very playable. I am a senior 3.5 5x/wk doubles player. I also have the same frame strung in reverse with poly mains but I think the Monogut mains feel a little better to me. Any comments or thoughts ?

Leave a comment:

• glacierguy
    replied
    In the certain knowledge that no one is even slightly interested, I thought an update was in order. I have strung Mains: VS Touch 1.3mm at 58lbs 10% pre-stretch, Crosses: Isospeed Cream 1.28mm at 55lbs no pre-stretch (already factory-stretched). Babolat string savers in a Federer-like pattern. It's difficult to find a compromise between having the gut tight enough and the poly not too tight.

I can already report that volleying with what seems to me like a massive snowshoe is very easy.

Leave a comment:

• glacierguy
    replied
    Dear ajchabria, I'd really appreciate your advice. For the last couple of years I've been playing with the RF85 re-release of the PS85 strung with full bed of VS Touch at 61lbs. However, I was starting to struggle with elbow and wrist pain, and since all I've heard for the last two years is 'you need to move to a bigger frame' I've switched to Six.One 95 18x20 frames which have a similar swingweight. I have two questions please. What stringing tension of VS Touch would be equivalent to my old 61lbs? And if I were to hybrid with VS Touch mains, what would you recommend for crosses and at what tension? I have some Tecnifibre x1 biphase 17g and was wondering if that might work. I'm a bit concerned that the tension loss in a multifilament or supermulti won't match the characteristics of the gut. I string my own racquets with a Wise 2086 constant pull tension head. I don't generally break strings, and am a fairly flat hitter by current standards. Thanks!

PS I usually pre-stretch the gut 10%. Would it be helpful to pre-stretch the multi (if it were used as a cross) to mitigate tension loss?
    Last edited by glacierguy; 05-14-2021, 12:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ajchabria
    replied
    Privas, nice choice. I like your set up, especially if you’re happy with the lower level of power from a synthetic gut compared to natural gut or a multifilament.
    I feel a simple synthetic gut main shines with a high powered frame.
    But it does lose tension more quickly than gut.

Sidenote: In my experience, surprisingly, the newer, more coated gut seems to last a bit longer because it slips better on the poly.

Leave a comment:

• privas
    replied
    "As an aging 5.0, with no arm pain, I personally do not hit that hard anymore, and I do not need the incredible durability of a firm poly, but I use the hardest poly I can find as a cross, mated with gut mains." How about using synthetic gut on the mains, like Wilson? Would you notice a significant difference in performance or durability? This has been my choice because of affordability, with Luxilon Alu Rough on the cross.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    started a topic Specific Strings for Specific Players

Specific Strings for Specific Players

Let's discuss A.J. Chabria's latest article, "Specific Strings for Specific Players!"

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7883 users online. 5 members and 7878 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X