No announcement yet.

Tennis, the Corona Virus, and the Great Unknown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a more cautious approach here in the UK. But the weather is great and everyone is outside (reasonably distanced in most areas) so I doubt we will get a second outbreak until later in the year. You probably have a greater chance of winning the lottery than catching COVID-19 in an outdoor tennis facility.

God knows what this will do to the world's economy when it sinks in in a few months down the line. The problem with America is it doesn't seem to have much capacity for state intervention. It's incredible what the government has done here in paying people 80% of their salaries. Essentially the Bank of England banks rolls everything and the government will pay it back over a very long period of time or not at all. It's a genius short term fix.

Well good luck, Florida. At least the governor can call the shots over Trump if it comes to it.
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
      I like the origin of "influenza".

Coincidentally, I heard the other day on Radio 4 that we are currently at the solar minimum for sunspot activity.
      The sun is in lockdown mode. Haven't heard a peep about global warming or climate change lately.

don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

"The Devils"...Fyodor Dostoyevsky 1871

"I have already hinted that all sorts of low-class individuals had made an appearance among us. In troubled times of uncertainty or transition all sorts of low individuals appear everywhere. I am not talking about the so-called "progressives", who are always in a greater hurry than everyone else (that is their chief concern) and whose aims, though mostly absurd, are more or less definite. No, I am speaking only of the rabble. This rabble, which you will find in any society, usually rises to the surface in every period of transition, and is not only without any aim, but also without an inkling of an idea, merely expressing with all its strength unrest and impatience.. And yet this rabble without realizing it itself, almost always finds itself under the command of the small crowd of "progressives", who act with a definite aim, and it is they who direct this scum where they like, provided they themselves are not composed of utter idiots, which, however happens, too." Fyodor Dostoyevsky…”The Devils”, Part III Chapter 1

Well we thought that this couldn't go any lower. The "virus" had stretched the fabric of society to the tearing point. Now it has been compromised. Where is the bottom? How far will this rabble drive it down. Any excuse. That is all this rabble needs. This is nothing new. There is nothing new under the sun. The unraveling of a society. Be safe. For God's sake.
        don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
          "The Devils"...Fyodor Dostoyevsky 1871

"I have already hinted that all sorts of low-class individuals had made an appearance among us. In troubled times of uncertainty or transition all sorts of low individuals appear everywhere. I am not talking about the so-called "progressives", who are always in a greater hurry than everyone else (that is their chief concern) and whose aims, though mostly absurd, are more or less definite. No, I am speaking only of the rabble. This rabble, which you will find in any society, usually rises to the surface in every period of transition, and is not only without any aim, but also without an inkling of an idea, merely expressing with all its strength unrest and impatience.. And yet this rabble without realizing it itself, almost always finds itself under the command of the small crowd of "progressives", who act with a definite aim, and it is they who direct this scum where they like, provided they themselves are not composed of utter idiots, which, however happens, too." Fyodor Dostoyevsky…”The Devils”, Part III Chapter 1

Well we thought that this couldn't go any lower. The "virus" had stretched the fabric of society to the tearing point. Now it has been compromised. Where is the bottom? How far will this rabble drive it down. Any excuse. That is all this rabble needs. This is nothing new. There is nothing new under the sun. The unraveling of a society. Be safe. For God's sake.
          One would have hoped beyond all hope that things could have returned to "normal". But normal seems to be now in the distant past as the "new reality" takes shape. One would have hoped that our little discussions about tennis technique and tactics along with the tennis tournament commentary could have continued. After all...what was the harm? But Fyodor was warning us. In the "Donald Trump for President" thread I threw this quote out there repeatedly trying to sound the alarm of where this was all headed. The animosity...the hatred.

Well now you know. I am only the voice in the wilderness. But apparently I must have had an inkling. What is happening is the wet dream of the radical left and the fruition of their dreams. If you think that this is going to have a nice ending...go back to sleep. This has gone Biblical.

Tennis, Corona and the Great Unknown. Welcome to my nightmare.

Comment: Both the post below and a contained related link are well worth the read. INSURRECTION: Civil Rights Leader Shelby Steele to Mark Levin: ‘Blacks Have Never Been Less Oppressed’ BYJEFF RE…

don_budge

Comment

The Narrative...Corona Virus and Anarchy

FBI stats...

expanded_homicide_data_table_6_murder_race_and_sex _of_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2013.xls

A dissenting opinion...gasp! The lack of two way dialogue is disturbing. Mob rule?

So it isn't going to be that simple getting back to normal. It is all about power. The "Trump for President" thread was a perfect example. The "anarchist" led the way until he couldn't shout everyone down with his anger and passion. This isn't going away and it isn't going to end well. Professional tennis seems so far down the list of concerns.

don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7664 users online. 6 members and 7658 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X