French Open: Nadal vs. Federer. Your Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Open: Nadal vs. Federer. Your Article

You are right. The match was decided in both the players' minds even before it started. I was really surprised that Nadal used the psychological warfare to its deadliest effect. First, forcing Federer to wait at the platform and jumping up and down, and then at the time of toss also he was jumping at the face of Federer. To me, Federer was unsure about this match; was confused; and timid. From start to end, his body language was that of a defeated person. He missed many easy balls from his forehand side, and I have to agree with you that the match was decided in the mind. I also felt that Federer needs to condition himself if he is going to win any title at the French Open!

I was also surprised that in the 2007 Wimbledon final (which I could not see because we are in Syria my daughter, Sarah Mahboob, is playing the ITF Junior Championsips here), Federer barely won in five sets -- five sets on Wimbledon grass? Give me a break. You can see that Nadal's game is improving (last year he lost in four sets) whereas Federer's game is declining. Is he getting too old? Or mentally afraid? Or both? I know he is a choker .. and that's why he is one of the greatest tennis players! He chokes because he cares about his game, because he wants to win at all costs and at times gets tight in his mind.

Anyway, I must commend you for producing yet another excellent article on this subject.

Regards,

Mahboob Khan, Coach/Manager, Pakistan Junior Team in Damascus, Syria

projecting, misunderstanding, misinterpreting

No offense John, but I really think this is what defines your article on Nadal vs. Federer

Other than the stats analysis, the gist of your article seems to be that Federer, besides being a great player, is an excellent person as we all could see on the Jensen's segment aired by the tennis channel. Nadal is a kind of dubious person. And, Federer lost the French open final due to some psychological tricks put into practice by Nadal.

Comment

Mahboob and Iconolcast,

Thanks for your input about the article and I have another one in the works re: Wimby.

I think all tennis players have their positive and negative personality traits--just like the rest of us!

Read Trey Waltke's article about playing Mac at the Open. Shocking! Yet in knowing John personally, I would say his positive input to me was critical in helping me create and advance my own career. Mac on balance? That's a judgment we all must make for ourselves.

Nadal definitely has a reputation for gamesmanship but is there anyone else who also matches his effort level and fighting spirit? Or courage under pressure?

Again you've got two sides to the same coin. I'm not sure we should expect to see one without the other.

Federer seems to have reached almost a saintly or sacred level--not unlike the new Andre in the second half of his career. That very much seems the exception especially with tennis champions. But someone must have a story about Roger being nasty to someone somewhere...

I think all this just goes with the game. I sense Nadal is driven by his desire to prove himself in the Federer era and the way he is is just part of that. How the two of them deal with each other is one of the fascinating things about this rivalry which I think has suprised Sampras/Agassi and maybe even equaled Mac/Borg.

Comment

John,

I'm afraid you keep divagating and speculating with assumptions without offering valid premises/arguments to support the conclusion of your article.

Comment

Somehow Iconoclast I missed the part of John's article on the Nadal/Fed Wimbledon final where he said his thoughts(John's) on the match and the personalities of the participants were absolutes. I think you(Iconoclast) missed the point of his article.

Comment

Well, the only thing I can say is that I watched the matches and these are my opinions. We may not agree.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7908 users online. 8 members and 7900 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X