Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forehand wrist position at the initiation of the forward swing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forehand wrist position at the initiation of the forward swing?

I am especially interested with regard to ulnar and radial deviation. Have there been any studies?

J

J011yroger -

He's a question I had to Brian Gordon about the ATP Forehand series he did for Tennisplayer.

My first question for Brian is: When you talk about forearm involvement with a bent elbow, are you talking about external rotation of the shoulder, forearm supination and ulner deviation in the pre-transition phase of the forward swing. Turning into internal rotation of the shoulder, forearm pronation and radial deviation post-transition point?

Here's Brian's reply:

Seano Question 1 - yes but for the wrist movement. Question 2 - hope I answered that above. Elbow positioning is not an issue in the modern version because of the it's motion in space - Macci speaks of the traditional version.

So Brian says there's no ulnar to radial deviation. Pre-transition point it's shoulder external rotation w/ forearm supination. Post-transition point it's shoulder internal rotation w/ forearm pronation (when one has a bent elbow at contact).

Comment

Thanks, but I am not concerned with the movement during the swing, just the stationary wrist position in a still frame.

I will try to find a photo to help.

J

Comment

In this still picture, for example, is the wrist neutral, radially deviated or unlar deviated?

J
        Last edited by J011yroger; 04-22-2020, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Neutral

Comment

Thanks John!

Working on a project in the Corona downtime.

J

Comment

JR,
              This is my opinion:

Comment

I don't think there is any deviation in either way consciously

Comment

JO11yroger: If you want to mimic that same degree of racket face closure and racket tip direction, then you have to mimic the exact grip position or the wrist will deviate. When learning to close my racket face for the ATP forehand at the photo position you are showing, and being stuck in the old eastern forehand, I had to internal rotate the forearm a little which gave me a little ulnar deviation.

Comment

JO11yroger: I think Roger changes his forehand grip more than we realize and racket to hand/ arm/ wrist orientation is going to look to the observer as being surprisingly different even with slight grip adjustments.

Comment

As JY has explained, hand/wrist/forearm orientation don’t seem to change much. It’s the internal/ external shoulder rotation that occurs in different styles that makes it look like to the observer that there is conscious manipulation of the hand/wrist/forearm orientation by the player.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8017 users online. 8 members and 8009 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X