Footwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Footwork

I am a 4.5 avid club player. I have been aware of a ongoing problem with my footwork for some time now but have had difficulty changing it. Specifically, I have a tendency to over-run balls so that by the time I am set to make contact my body is too close to the ball. You know the result - last second adjustments during the swing, and a weak return. This also happens on occasion with balls up the middle when I plant my feet too early and am "stuck" being too close to the ball.

Are you aware of any visualization technique, or other method, for me to utilize to help ensure that my footwork brings me to the proper spot so that I am striking the ball the proper distance away and in front of my body? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Footwork is the key

John hasn´t answered yet, but I think I can help you too, even more because I had the same problem.
    I had a great improvement on the subject of finding the correct distance from the ball using the data from the footwork section and from the lessons of Scott Murphy.
    On the forehand - use the K step, explained on the footwork section, using as well an aligment of the right foot with the ball (supposing you are right handed).
    On the backhand - start the movement to the ball with your left foot, don´t forgeting to turn your right shoulder.
    After this first left foot movement, put your right foot in direction to the incoming ball, making contact very in front. This way you will transfer the weight of your body to the ball, earning a lot of pace, in a soft manner.
    I hope that this comments could help you.
    Ruy Mendes

Comment

Andy,
      Your question gives me a chance to show off what we can really do on our Forum. The answer to your question is all contained in the flash animation above with my friend and footwork guru Mr. Bob Hansen. After you read this post go to Footwork and read his article on the Forehand. It's the same by the way for the backhand--more coming from Bob on that soon. Coincidentally in May there is also another GREAT positioning article coming from Kerry Mitchell.

If you understand positioning the language you use changes. "I get to close, etc etc," that kind of talk means you don't understand outside foot positioning. First you really need to understand the turn move. Then it's a matter of recreating the turn position behind the ball. This means reaching the ball with the outside foot. Way too many players reach the ball with the front foot and worse, a big ugly cross step. Once you feel this position behind the ball with the back foot, you know what you are shooting for. It's not a matter of "too close" or "too far" it's a matter of making your set up or not. The steps can be big. But they also can be small and precise around the ball.

Comment

Yeah, this is a great article. But I have a question for you John. The caption for the clip that you posted reads, "The Initial Move : a push with the Outside Foot and a step with the Inside Foot toward the ball." Shouldn't it read "a push with the Inside Foot and a step with the Outside Foot toward the ball"? I say this because in the clip the left foot doesn't move but seems to push the body to the right while the right foot takes a step towards the ball.
        Last edited by lukman41985; 04-08-2005, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Yes and I am offering you an editor's position...

Comment

If you're being serious, I will most definitely edit whatever you want me to.

Comment

Well, you can post some movies in the Forum. I do appreciate it when subscribers find these errors, bad links etc. We want the site as clean and perfect as possible!

Comment

So Andy--what do you say? did that hit home with you and did it help--i'd always heard too close too far like that, but this seems to be saying something different. wondered if anyone had tried it?

Comment

Alfred, yes, it did help. I am attempting to practice this approach now, and it makes sense. The key to me is the planting of the back foot. Of course, some times I don't have time to do that! The other thing I have trouble understanding is the lining up of the back foot with the flight of the ball. It seems to me that that can result in a ball much too close to the body on impact, unless you hit with a tremendously open stance. I'll keep working on it ... Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Actually a good point--the idea of getting set up behind the ball is a powerful image. But it's not literally accurate. The ball would still pass to the right of your right foot. What's key is that you are creating a strong, balanced turn position as if the ball had come to you in the first place. You also probably need a good feel for the hitting arm position. It's the balanced set up with the arm in place--or about to be in place--that really makes it work.

Comment

We are getting there.

Originally posted by johnyandell
                      You also probably need a good feel for the hitting arm position. It's the balanced set up with the arm in place--or about to be in place--that really makes it work.
                      About 15 days of Tennisplayer turned my forehand from a joke to a reliable shot. Your answer to our pal had been understanded, and tells a lot about my progress. But what do you mean by the passage quoted above?

Comment

Depends on the backswing style exactly where the arm is at the setp--also how far you have to run--but at the bottom of the backswing it's that classic double bend hitting arm position--that's what I am talking about!

Comment

Can I say that it's great to see this work from Bob Hansen. I've seen similar presentations on videos and I think it's really a missing piece with so many players obsessed with the details of the swings--it ain't gonna matter...

The outside foot behind the ball really really works. But question, why do so many pros hit closed stance on the bachand side??

Comment

Arm extension and Finish can keep you away from the ball

Even by planting the outside foot last, it's still pretty easy to get too close to the ball. The clip also shows that his hands are extended out along the baseline away from his body. If you're not watching full-speed tennis on TV closely, you might think the first move with the hands is to lift the racquet handle up to ear level. It actually takes some effort to push your hands out away from you like that if you're not used to using your arms that way. I know from personal experience!
                            Another way you can get to close is if your swing is more vertical than level. I have some video where I get too close, so I'm forced to swing up and down instead of a more effective drive. Thinking about your finish should help you (read Robert Landorps forhand article - he can identify a proper drive from where the racquet ends up)

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7988 users online. 9 members and 7979 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X