Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help understanding the semi open forehand

Hi everyone,

As a relative beginner I've stuck with using the neutral stance forehand and thanks to this website it's improved a lot. I realise that I need to develop a semi open forehand for faster or higher balls. My problem is, when planting my outside foot parallel to the baseline and loading the leg, it then feels like my knee is being twisted when I push off and rotate forward. I realise pros often explode off the court unweighting the outside leg and allowing it to rotate, but I'm not sure how this should be done if the feet don't leave the floor.

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts on how to do this correctly and avoid injury!

Many thanks,

Michael

It's really about aligning yourself up correctly behind the ball, making sure you have correct weight distribution and balance. Being balanced is most key. If you use a deep knee bend and drive up as you hit your outside leg should come naturally come up to aid recovery back to the middle of the baseline. This is critical. The outside foot then replaces the inside foot as you side skip back to the middle (here is a perfect example of recovery; see how Roger's right foot goes to where the left foot was after the strike https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...Rear2.mp4&new=)

Without seeing you forehand, it's tough to make a call what you're doing wrong. Why not load a clip?
    Stotty

Comment

Thanks for your reply stotty. I've learned to align my outside foot with the ball (if that's what you mean) as per Kerry Mitchell's forehand article, prior to this I was stepping across when using the neutral stance. What would be the correct weight distribution that you mention for the semi open forehand and could you offer any other key checkpoints?

If you see the attached clip of Kerry Mitchell hitting, it's the act of the right foot turning and facing the net when still in contact with the ground which feels like it's twisting the knee. Is it important to leave the ground to avoid this or shifting the weight perhaps? I was trying to start out by learning something a bit more conservative than the deep knee bend you see the pro's doing.

Thanks again,

Michael

Comment

Mike,
        Load the leg in the stance and swing for the extension point of the swing. Don't try to push off. The leg will take care of itself.

Comment

Mike
          Here is a really good and simple article on how to move to and align for a forehand. You can also see Bob extend like John suggests. https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...vement_FH.html

It would help if you post a clip. Have you tried videoing your forehand? Often what you think you are doing is nothing like what you are doing. Done at the right time in a player's progression, learning the semi-open stance usually comes easily and should feel quite natural.
          Stotty

Comment

Thanks John and great website by the way. Yes I’ve been trying to push off the loaded outside leg and twist forward which is maybe why it’s tweaking my knee.

Stotty, thanks for the link. Although I’ve seen the article it’s worth me looking through it again. I don’t have any footage using the semi open stance as it’s only something I’ve recently tried and quickly stopped for fear of injuring my knee. I do have some recent footage using the neutral stance which might be useful to gauge where I’m currently at. It’s all slow spoon fed balls at this point as if I speed it up I find it harder to work on things.

Best viewed in 720p60: https://youtu.be/_j8w3tVr2K4

Regarding the semi open stance, how should the weight shift during the stroke?

Comment

Mike,
              Like I said it'll shift fine on it's on. concentrate on the forward swing and making extension. Looked at the clip--stand up a little straighter from the waist.
              Last edited by johnyandell; 04-29-2020, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeoz View Post
                Thanks John and great website by the way. Yes I’ve been trying to push off the loaded outside leg and twist forward which is maybe why it’s tweaking my knee.

Stotty, thanks for the link. Although I’ve seen the article it’s worth me looking through it again. I don’t have any footage using the semi open stance as it’s only something I’ve recently tried and quickly stopped for fear of injuring my knee. I do have some recent footage using the neutral stance which might be useful to gauge where I’m currently at. It’s all slow spoon fed balls at this point as if I speed it up I find it harder to work on things.

Best viewed in 720p60: https://youtu.be/_j8w3tVr2K4

Regarding the semi open stance, how should the weight shift during the stroke?
                There has been surprisingly little work/analysis done on the 'unweighting' of the back leg as you call it, probably because it happens as a bi-product of doing the other elements correctly. John's recommendation of extending on the forward swing should help you there and make it happen. That said, it's not the first time your question as come up on the forum and sent people scurrying for the website's articles and archives.

Try to study good players hitting semi open forehands. This way you can learn by osmosis...by visualising...rather than getting caught up too much in the mechanics. Learning by absorption, from watching others can be so much easier and less stressful.

I looked at youR clip...looks a decent forehand to me. I wouldn't stall the backswing half way like that though. Try to get it more smooth and more continuous. Here is a great article for creating that kind of rhythm. https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...ythm_forehand/

Try to upload a semi open clip hitting more challenging feeds. Then we can diagnose the true nature of your problem.
                Last edited by stotty; 04-30-2020, 03:55 AM.
                Stotty

Comment

Thanks a lot for the feedback on the video. John, I’ll work on trying to stay more upright from the waist. Anything I’m doing well will be thanks to your website as I rely on recording myself and learning what I should be doing from this site!

Thanks Stotty, I think I’m questioning the semi open stance because I’ve not seen much instruction on learning it, consequently I’m not sure what I’m doing.
                  I think you are right about the backswing. I have recently been trying to separate my hands earlier and have my left arm stretched by the bounce as John recommends. It’s affected my timing slightly maybe because on these slow ball feeds it’s actually too early perhaps. I read Nick’s article again and it’s definitely something else I could work on.
                  Would any of the top players be good models to study the semi open stance, such as the attached Federer clip?

Comment

Mike: With the simple one step- out feed, try stepping a little further back on the step out. This will allow you to put more weight on the back foot, with the trailing foot in semiopen, only having enough weight on left foot to balance. This will allow you to feel the right leg drive the hips upward. The upward drive may push you up on your forefoot, which allows you to pivot that foot without a knee tweak. You will probably feel a little more rotational core, if you correctly time unit turn, then arm separation, and can feel the shoulders separate from the hips right before foot plant.Timing the foot plant with unit turn, arm separation and shoulder, hip separation is hard at first. My FOOTWORK image is to move to an imaginary baseball on a tee and rear foot plant in an open stance, ready for a rear leg drive. Obviously, bat swing mechanics don’t translate to tennis and using crosssport footwork images for tennis may be detrimental if used incorrectly. I am sure that there are progressive, open stance footwork drills out there.

Comment

Quick update, I had a go again at the weekend and got on much better this time. Thanks for the instruction doctorhl. One of the keys was rising onto the ball of my outside foot which felt much better on the knee. I’ll keep practicing and see how I get on.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7717 users online. 9 members and 7708 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X