X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnyandell
    replied
    Kyle,
    Yes please. And check out the current article too and let me know what you think!

Leave a comment:

• klacr
    replied
    This is such a great series in the tennisplayer.net catalog. A beautiful shot is made even more beautiful by fundamentally sound technique and an excellent teaching progression leading to improvement.
    Need to get my backhand on here soon.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Delray Beach
    SETS Consulting

Leave a comment:

• rthodges
    replied
    Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    On the eye dominance I would try looking for the spin at the top of the bounce of the incoming ball--with right eye closed, left eye closed, both eyes open. For adult males changing to a two hander is a long, unlikely process. Hit some left handed fhs and if they are as good as your one-hander it might be possible, but not recommended by me at least. Stance? Set up in the semi open stance (but with a full body turn--especially right hip and leg and foot. ) and have a ball machine feed the ball directly to you. Love to know about eye dominance in pro players...
    https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tenni...tness-trainer/

This was a good article from Fed’s trainer early in his career. He mentions that both Fed and Nadal are cross dominant, and Wawrinka is right hand right eye. Apparently cross dominant is linked to a better forehand, and a much higher percentage of top ranked players are cross dominant in comparison to the general population.
    Last edited by rthodges; 07-07-2020, 06:51 PM. Reason: Clarity

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    Let me know how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• doctorhl
    replied
    Wow! This is great advice. Can’t wait to try. I agree that switching to two hands is a disaster in frustration at my age.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    On the eye dominance I would try looking for the spin at the top of the bounce of the incoming ball--with right eye closed, left eye closed, both eyes open. For adult males changing to a two hander is a long, unlikely process. Hit some left handed fhs and if they are as good as your one-hander it might be possible, but not recommended by me at least. Stance? Set up in the semi open stance (but with a full body turn--especially right hip and leg and foot. ) and have a ball machine feed the ball directly to you. Love to know about eye dominance in pro players...

Leave a comment:

• doctorhl
    replied
    John’s checkpoint on early contact of the ball got me to speculating. My bh slice and terrible bent -arm topspin bh never really required early contact with a neutral or closed stance. But a nearly straight arm bh topspin certainly does! However, as a right handed and left eyed dominant player( cross dominance), tracking for early contact required an uncomfortable, full turn of my head to get the left eye in the tracking zone. So my choices are: 1.Hit enough balls until the new head position feels comfortable. 2. Figure out how to hit a one handed topspin bh with a semi-open stance( seems impossible). 3. Learn the two handed bh which might allow a little more open stance. Anyone have suggestions? In addition, the early contact point was outside my glass lens if I didn’t try the full head turn and I thought those panoramic prescription goggles might help.

Is it possible that some beginners juniors subconsciously resisted the one handed bh because they were cross dominant and eye tracking was easier with the two hander?. Cross dominance doesn’t seem to be an issue for a one handed FH because hitting with an open stance is possible, unlike the bh. Are the great one handed bh players like Federer NOT cross eyed dominant??

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    How about! Yeah been studying this for quite a few years... Impressed you remember the book.

Leave a comment:

• shrink
    replied
    Hello John, guess what , your summary of the one hand backhand is quite close to what was described in 1999, Visual Tennis, second edition , by John Yandell demonstrated by your head pro
    Kerry Mitchell. How about that !

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    I like it!

Leave a comment:

• scuoteguazza
    replied
    Thanks. I hit again today with the same results. The Babolat PIQ score which measures speed, spin and style also showed an increase.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    Good news! What are the disconnects and commonalities with the pro game? As I have said anyone on this site should be thrilled to have a backhand like Tim Henman!

Leave a comment:

• scuoteguazza
    replied
    I liked three things in this series. The comments on the closed stance, the kickback of the rear leg and the recommendation to try more of a straight take back. I've tried all three things and feel by backhand has become more consistent. I have been working on a full, loop take back like Federer and Wawrinka but find myself hitting late sometimes. With the straight take back my Babolat POP shows no decrease in mph and maybe even an increase.

Leave a comment:

• A New Teaching System: Building Your One Hand Backhand Model

Would love to discuss my article "A New Teaching System: Building Your One Hand Backhand Model"

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8050 users online. 5 members and 8045 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X