Racquet take-back, high or low?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racquet take-back, high or low?

I have a student who has a very powerful serve for her age (13 years old). She serves between 95mph and 105mph, however I have noticed that her racquet take back is high over her head, forming a vee with her extended tossing arm before cocking her racquet and assuming a more traditional form. The only pro that I know of that uses similar take back on her serve is Lindsey Davenport.

Will this take back hold her back for further developing her natural weapon or should I leave well enough alone? I would appreciate John or Brian's opinion.

Thanks

Originally posted by paddleguy View Post
    I have a student who has a very powerful serve for her age (13 years old). She serves between 95mph and 105mph, however I have noticed that her racquet take back is high over her head, forming a vee with her extended tossing arm before cocking her racquet and assuming a more traditional form. The only pro that I know of that uses similar take back on her serve is Lindsey Davenport.

Will this take back hold her back for further developing her natural weapon or should I leave well enough alone? I would appreciate John or Brian's opinion.

Thanks
    pg-

I've had several girls do this - I always get rid of it - it seems to be* extraneous motion with only downside potential in timing lower and upper body integration, and loop formation.

* Can't come up with any mechanical benefit of the motion - I don't mind some extra motion if I can find a benefit that might potentially outweigh a detriment to timing.

Just my opinion and approach - Brian
    Last edited by BrianGordon; 08-19-2007, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Mr. Gordon has produced another excellent essay, but it's far too detailed for older recreational players in the 4.0-4.5 range, many of whom don't have the time to play or practice every day, probably just once or twice a week.

Nonetheless, I got something out of it right away that made me stop going long on first serves hit with plenty of head speed. It made me realize that when I am going to throw my racquet up at the ball, I had better drop the head way down before I go up, and that I must feel it. Consequently, I am serving hard with much higher consistency. Thanks.

However, a lot of Gordon's deep analysis went over my head. I appreciated the detail, but cannot absorb and use most of it. What I, and probably others need, are instructions that keep it simpler. I hope that John Yandell is not
      aiming his remarkable web site soley at 5.0s and young aspiring pros.

All of us over-50 players, except Yoga practitioners, are way less than suple, and less than totally focused on the great game. We need to learn more about how less is more.

When I was a little kid, I saw the great Aussies serve big at Orange and Seabright. The rules forbade leaving the court with both feet. They followed in with the back foot, and were able to serve very big with wood racquets. How did they do it?

I hope that TennisPlayer will keep us older guys more in mind. Some articles written for us would be appreciated.

Comment

Good technique isn't necessarily a function of age. We'll continue to publish ground breaking work across the board in instruction.

Comment

Where can I find this article?

What article is this about? Can I still access it? Harry Kingsley

Comment

It's Brian Gordon's article on the Serve Backswing in the current issue--go to New Issue at the top of the home page.

Comment

It's Brian Gordon's article on the Serve Backswing. Go to New Issue at the top of the home page.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 5060 users online. 9 members and 5051 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X