One-Handed Backhands, and Kohli's Grip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One-Handed Backhands, and Kohli's Grip

In this month's Tour Portrait, John asked for a variety of one-handed backhands. I hope you agree we delivered. Sadly, I've never seen two of my personal favorites in person, Tsitsipas and Shapo. Another day.
    https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...and_backhands/

One that stands out to me, is that of Phillip Kohlschreiber. Kohli has such a severe, Western forehand grip that he doesn't have to change for his backhand. I believe -- correct me if I'm wrong -- he simply flips the racket over and hits with the same side of the strings on both sides. Check out the two images here from his match with Djokovic in 2018.

I joke that this helps his strings last longer because he only wears out one side.

Other details you might look for: Ivan Ljubici's more neutral grip, and his resultant flat drives. Thiem's many backhand swings, from huge upswing with enormous topspin to a flat, horizontal follow through. And, of course, Fed being Fed.

filedata/fetch?id=89129&d=1591558604&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=89130&d=1591558604&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 06-07-2020, 11:41 AM.

Great photos of Kohl, such a great professioanal. So solid off both sides and yes, he seems to pretty much(if not exactly) use the same grip off both sides.
    Last edited by stroke; 06-10-2020, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
      Great photos of Kohl, such a great professioanal. So so off both sides and yes, he seems to pretty much(if not exactly) use the same grip off both sides.
      Thanks ! Appreciate it.

Comment

Meant to say Kohl is so solid off both sides. To me he is similar to Stan in that regard, and their grips off both sides are also similar. Stan is just a stronger guy.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8273 users online. 5 members and 8268 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X