Executing Your One Hand Backhand Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Executing Your One Hand Backhand Model

Would love your thoughts on my latest article, "Executing Your One Hand Backhand Model"

I love this method of teaching. I tend to get my students to visualise the stroke as a whole then try to execute it. If they can't do that then I get them to focus on elements. Never more than two elements as that's about most people's limit.

I had great success with a high level student recently. He had a long backswing and deep shoulder turn but struggled in matches because he insisted on hugging the baseline too much. His backhand wasn't really built for that, at least not as a constant game-style. Instead I plonked him 4 feet further back and made sure he always had his legs under him and got him to really crack his backhand and use the extra hitting length the court this gave him. He's build like a barn door and can hit his backhand so hard he doesn't have to worry about leaving the forecourt slightly unattended. Overall, this all made a huge difference to the kid's game. Sometimes you just have to help a player identify their true game-style and provide a good example (Wawrinka) to highlight your point. The best coaching often involves very little.

Great article..superbly explained and wonderfully delivered as always.
    Last edited by stotty; 07-09-2020, 01:42 PM.
    Stotty

Comment

And sounds like a great outcome for your player!

Comment

John, it has been fascinating to watch you develop this comprehensive, one -handed backhand model, initiated by the heavy lifting required to discover a consensus on critical elements obtained by hours of observation. Your concept of building an individualized stroke model through focus on peer-validated, observed critical elements of a stroke, stroke development based on “feel” through visualization, use of player video feedback for player self- correction and augmentation by coaching reinforcement is noteworthy. Having studied and taught a qualitative skill analysis system based on observation, this is my first time to actually witness an advanced sports skill being comprehensively developed from start to finish using this system. It should serve a a “template” for developing advanced motor skills in other individual sports.

Comment

Doctor,
          Thank you sir. You grasp the concept completely. If you look in the Teaching System's section there are similar series on the forehand, the two-handed bh and the serve. With the slice and volleys coming over the next year or two. When the craziness is over (if ever) I plan to do a certification course.
          Last edited by johnyandell; 07-15-2020, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8405 users online. 8 members and 8397 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X