Nadal's Arm Rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nadal's Arm Rotation

I included a version of this photo in the Tour Portrait because I don't recall discussion of how much long-axis/ arm rotation Nadal uses in his serve. Rafa's palm is literally facing straight up here. The only player I've seen get more rotation is John Isner. I imagine it takes work to be that flexibile when one is that buff
    https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...elite_serving/

filedata/fetch?id=90126&d=1596477137&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I have always thought Nadal gets a very high level of action on his slice serve, which he tends to use on both his first and second serves. His shoulder rotation must be a big contributing factor. I remember Agassi, one of the best returners ever obviously, commented one time on Nadal's serve being better than it appears because of all that spin/action on it.

Comment

The tennis player is here for the victory and joyful end for the stories. The tip of the https://www.essayontime.com/services/coursework.html is changed for the approval of the sorts. The race is filed for engagement in the mid of the cycle. The use of tennis is formed for the mid of the marked items for humans.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        I have always thought Nadal gets a very high level of action on his slice serve, which he tends to use on both his first and second serves. His shoulder rotation must be a big contributing factor. I remember Agassi, one of the best returners ever obviously, commented one time on Nadal's serve being better than it appears because of all that spin/action on it.
        How does one get enough speed on the serve with such an extreme grip like Nadal’s?

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post

How does one get enough speed on the serve with such an extreme grip like Nadal’s?
          I'm not sure Rafa's service grip is that unusual now. As I vaguely remember, he started out with a backhand grip, then went to a more conventional one as he tried for more velocity.

Quick search for a couple of my photos.

filedata/fetch?id=95123&d=1630095526&type=thumb

And from 2015

filedata/fetch?id=95122&d=1630095525&type=thumb #
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Great pic of his service grip. I would say he has a very strong continental with his heel pad on bevel 1, very similar to Fed. Tsitsipas to me is not close to this grip. I remember when he talked about altering his grip to get more mph's, but I personally did not see much, if any change.

Comment

I don't understand why players like Murray and Tsitsipas have those slightly weaker grips. It doesn't gain them power as full ISR (the arm, hand, racket rotation) won't always fully happen...so in theory they are losing power and the serve can become a 'slap', especially in the case of Murray.

I think Nadal seems to have a slightly stronger grip than Roger, although it may just seem that way as he uses a very small handle size. Tough to see exactly from Jim's photos.

Is it the angle of Jim's photo or is Rafa striking the ball slightly behind his head? Shouldn't the contact point align somewhat with the bridge of the player's nose, or fairly close to it?
              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                I don't understand why players like Murray and Tsitsipas have those slightly weaker grips. It doesn't gain them power as full ISR (the arm, hand, racket rotation) won't always fully happen...so in theory they are losing power and the serve can become a 'slap', especially in the case of Murray.

I think Nadal seems to have a slightly stronger grip than Roger, although it may just seem that way as he uses a very small handle size. Tough to see exactly from Jim's photos.

Is it the angle of Jim's photo or is Rafa striking the ball slightly behind his head? Shouldn't the contact point align somewhat with the bridge of the player's nose, or fairly close to it?
                Good eye. Yes, and Rafa is one of many pro players that is not looking at the ball at impact. First time I remember seeing that was with Pat Rafter. With his old, Aussie charge-the-net at all costs service motion, the ball was literally too far behind his head both along the service line and toward the baseline for him to see it.
                Last edited by jimlosaltos; 08-28-2021, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2280 users online. 0 members and 2280 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X