Teaching Forehand Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching Forehand Extension

From a coaching perspective, teaching extension has always been a challenge for me. Presently I coach at the small college level. Even with the experience these players have I frequently see very little extension through the hit. Late contact points seem to be the starting point for abbreviated extensions, so I start there. Any suggestions for encouraging greater extension would be appreciated. Just saying you need more extension has minimal effect.

Ralph,

Yep that's a problem for a lot of players. My suggestion is to use those checkpoints outlined in the article.

Make the players physically model them-with or without the hand rotation, or both. Mkae them close their eyes and swing out over the model position without the ball. Now have them visualize the same when they swing.

And you have to video to show them the difference between where they are and the models.

Comment

Teaching Forehand Extension

Originally posted by ralph View Post
      From a coaching perspective, teaching extension has always been a challenge for me. Presently I coach at the small college level. Even with the experience these players have I frequently see very little extension through the hit. Late contact points seem to be the starting point for abbreviated extensions, so I start there. Any suggestions for encouraging greater extension would be appreciated. Just saying you need more extension has minimal effect.
      One of the things that I always use to teach not just my high performance juniors but players of all levels learning high performance mechanics; is visualization. The actual way I learned to play tennis in the mid to late 70's and on through today. Looking at pictures of pro's. Specifically for the extension model (and mostly all my models) is The Lone Roger. To demonstrate actually how far in front of your body you can actually hit the ball through proper shoulder hip separation, taking spacing into consideration in the earlier moments of movement towards a ball and finally by pulling the acceleration "trigger" sooner (which ends up being a total re-calibration of each players timing) even if the lower torso is still moving or adjusting.

If you'd like I have so great photo to illustrate this point. Let me know...

Charles Alan Goods "Cha"
      Next Stop. Next Level. TENNIS.
      High Performance Player Development
      Philadelphia, PA
      267.386.NNXX

Comment

forehand extension

Very interesting discussion of forehand extension. Topspin seems to be so dominant in the pro game. Do you think that idea has confused some developing players, who end up spinning more than hitting through the ball? At what level of play can a flat whacker succeed before lack of topsin does him in? John, do you also agree that advising a player to hit more in front helps with extension?

Comment

Charles,

Let's see the pic.

John

Comment

I think that topspin is appropriate at every level. But many players don't hit the appropriate level of topspin for their level.

You have to see the ball the player hits and where it lands and how it flies. Then you know if the level of spin is appropriate.

And yes! Compressed followthroughs and late contact go together--as to strong contact points and extension.

Comment

extension

Charles, Let's see the pic. Mark

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7850 users online. 6 members and 7844 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X