Drills for Good Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drills for Good Players

I'd appreciate some help with a good problem I have. A couple of good players like hitting with me even though I'm a veteran, and I was wondering if there were any drills that suited that asymmetric ability? One is ex-ATP 900s rank, the other is UK 2.1. For example, I made up one drill where I hit alternately to their corners, but they hit back to only one of my corners. Another is a serve+1 exercise where I return, but they've told me where they're going to serve. You get the idea? I'm not a coach, just a hitting partner, but I'd like to help them improve if I can.

And before suggesting that they hit with each other - they do! I think I'm a no pressure, no-ego-at-stake alternative.

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm hitting with one of them today, and I was wondering what we should do!

Uh not sure I have much help, but... I say play points on the 3 diagonals. CC FHs. CC BHs. Inside to Inside. Lines are just the half court based on diagonals.

Comment

Yes, restricting to half court would help (me). They both really thump CCs compared with down the line. I guess that's normal at higher levels?

Comment

I am 57 and can still hit with anyone if I am in a corner of the court. Once play is opened up it’s a problem against strong young players. This is why older coaches seek the refuge of a ball basket. Very useful to get skilled with a ball basket I can tell you.

Just stick in a corner if you can and challenge them to hit beyond a row of cones for length. If you are a solid hitter you can be a solid workout for aspiring players by using your noddle.
        Stotty

Comment

Thanks John & Stotty, I will try these ideas. Speed of movement is what's lacking. I think another I might try is hitting CCs and then as soon as I hit short, encourage them to thump it down the line.

They're both missing inter-college/uni competition, which is suspended in UK. Is inter-collegiate tennis running in the States?

Comment

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
            I think another I might try is hitting CCs and then as soon as I hit short, encourage them to thump it down the line.
            Yes that's a good one. Sometimes a drop shot up the line too.
            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Yes that's a good one. Sometimes a drop shot up the line too.
              LIke it! I'll try that.

Comment

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
                I'd appreciate some help with a good problem I have. A couple of good players like hitting with me even though I'm a veteran, and I was wondering if there were any drills that suited that asymmetric ability? One is ex-ATP 900s rank, the other is UK 2.1. For example, I made up one drill where I hit alternately to their corners, but they hit back to only one of my corners. Another is a serve+1 exercise where I return, but they've told me where they're going to serve. You get the idea? I'm not a coach, just a hitting partner, but I'd like to help them improve if I can.

And before suggesting that they hit with each other - they do! I think I'm a no pressure, no-ego-at-stake alternative.ayer with a putawayayer
                Thanks for any suggestions. I'm hitting with one of them today, and I was wondering what we should do!
                For variety, try this. Stand well inside approximate intersection of sideline and service line. Encourage player to hit all balls to your forehand volleys so hopefully you can control it and volley it just out of their reach. Any short volley you happen to hit should be attacked by the player with a put away. Switch to intersection on other side of court. Even though most matches don’t have much net play with these kind of bounces, this allows you to give the advanced player a little more practice with simulated reduced preparation time from big hitters.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post

For variety, try this. Stand well inside approximate intersection of sideline and service line. Encourage player to hit all balls to your forehand volleys so hopefully you can control it and volley it just out of their reach. Any short volley you happen to hit should be attacked by the player with a put away. Switch to intersection on other side of court. Even though most matches don’t have much net play with these kind of bounces, this allows you to give the advanced player a little more practice with simulated reduced preparation time from big hitters.
                  Thanks doctorhl, I see the point, volleys from deep to reduce reaction time for partner. I'm out again tomorrow, and will try these suggestions.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8004 users online. 7 members and 7997 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X